• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help: Old Meridian G91, 585, and 861 for Surround Digital+Analogue Output

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking for a 5.4 system at most and I'd like to work with AES/EBU which googling suggests Meridian's digital connectors output that.

Does optical in from a TV send out a surround signal always or would new videos have DSTX and not have a surround mix they can send over optical?

Am I understanding correctly that Meridian devices like these can output to Genelec 8260 monitors digitally to avoid the extra AD conversion, while also outputting to two analogue surround speakers, and a subwoofer?

Chain would be optical>Meridian>Genelec AES, Kali RCA, Minidsp HD>2 to 4 subwoofers.

I can get a mint condition G91 that also has a CD player which I'm also in the market for... Can it do all this?

Can't find anything else for around $2000-3000, and all surround processors reviewed here seem to be trash, so I'd like to keep everything digital for the main two speakers... Not sure if the Meridian can handle a 4.1 system if I don't have a center.

Any help is appreciated.

syzygetic

Yes - the digital and analogue outputs can be used simultaneously, I do that in my system. Meridian gear is super flexible if you’re willing to do some work. Check out meridian-unplugged forums, they have more excellent resources for this kind of thing.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Check if the digital outs really provides what you need . I use an G68J and the HD621 coprocessor (to get HDMI inputs ) and 3* Meridian DSP5200 digital speakers + 2*DSP3000 .

I've heard of people using The meridian HD621 coprocessor only, with Genelecs so it should work .
The HD621 can split HDMI to 5.1 digital outs (there are a new such processor that probably has more than 5.1)

The Caveat can be how it handles HiRes source material all Meridian Processors and speaker uses a special protocol called MHR thats encrypted over its SPDIF outs .

I think the digital out of for example the HD621 can be configured via the setup software to be normal PCM outputs maybe its also possible with the G68/G91 ? But some limitations may apply....

Such as when not using the MHR protocol you be truncated to 48kHz or something ? Because basically no one is actually allowed to split out the hires audio of HDMI stream to separate digital outputs. Just like the spdif/optical of your SACD/DVDA machine odes not provide hirez ( a Meridian DVDA does but over 3*SPDIF with this MHR protocol )

Do visit the meridian forum these guys know so much more than me on the subject .

If you only intend to use non HDMI sources your may be fine ?

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Check if the digital outs really provides what you need . I use an G68J and the HD621 coprocessor (to get HDMI inputs ) and 3* Meridian DSP5200 digital speakers + 2*DSP3000 .

I've heard of people using The meridian HD621 coprocessor only, with Genelecs so it should work .
The HD621 can split HDMI to 5.1 digital outs (there are a new such processor that probably has more than 5.1)

The Caveat can be how it handles HiRes source material all Meridian Processors and speaker uses a special protocol called MHR thats encrypted over its SPDIF outs .

I think the digital out of for example the HD621 can be configured via the setup software to be normal PCM outputs maybe its also possible with the G68/G91 ? But some limitations may apply....

Such as when not using the MHR protocol you be truncated to 48kHz or something ? Because basically no one is actually allowed to split out the hires audio of HDMI stream to separate digital outputs. Just like the spdif/optical of your SACD/DVDA machine odes not provide hirez ( a Meridian DVDA does but over 3*SPDIF with this MHR protocol )

Do visit the meridian forum these guys know so much more than me on the subject .

If you only intend to use non HDMI sources your may be fine ?

I'd be feeding it from optical.

I'd be referring to this when making cabled, that use Speakerlink connections but three of the pins can be used for AES:

https://www.meridianunplugged.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=178875&page=all

Or I could use the coaxial toslink connectors I think with an adaptor that adds resistance.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'd be referring to this when making cabled, that use Speakerlink connections but three of the pins can be used for AES:

https://www.meridianunplugged.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=178875&page=all

Or I could use the coaxial toslink connectors I think with an adaptor that adds resistance.

Thats nice to see :) time to reconnect with the meridian forum .

The newer speakers and later processors use these speakerlink via ethernet . If you get an older processor like my old G68J it only has spdif/MHR and you dont even need to build conversion cables

syzygetic

Ahh ok I get it. my statement above applied to a newer processor with the Ethernet speakerlink ports. I know nothing about the older ones, but I can confirm that spdif, analogue, and speakerlink on my processor are all live at the same time for output.

I am fairly certain you can make the Meridian processor work for your purposes. It’s really quite versatile if you’re willing to do a little configuration.

another similar option would be a properly configured Theta Digital Casablanca (used off eBay they can be cheap). Likewise not an easily configured consumer product, but absolutely flexible in the hands of a nerd, the dedicated, or a pro installer.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The people on the Meridian forum do have answers to a lot of things so its best to ask them.
And prior art ? have anyone else done this ?

I tried to see what could be done in the M-config (Meridian configuration program for their processors ).
You can not select other digital speakers than Meridians own in the setup for speakers hopefully that is not a problem.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For anyone looking for something similar, I'd look at the Dolby DP564 which does digital and analogue out with BNC or XLR connectors.

It doesn't work with LPCM like from the Nintendo Switch, but it does work with streaming services that have a Dolby stream to decode.

Currently connected over optical from my LG OLED which is set to passthrough.

Top Bottom