• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HELP: office desk to place Subwoofer inside

veeceem

So I plan to place my Subwoofer (SVS SB-2000) into my bedroom, but I just can't leave it in the room because of my 1 and 2 y.o kids :| That's why I'm considering a solution: design an office desk with the lowest drawer which has a vented door to put it in, away from the kids. Also, the upper drawer can be used to place other equipments inside (DAC/Preamp/PowerAmp/wires/ect...)

What really puzzle me is how big should the drawer that the subwoofer is placed in? From google, I sometimes see very tight-fit drawer which only enough to place the subwoofer in, but sometimes a drawer that's bigger than the sub's size. Which is optimal?
My plan is to make a 140x70cm desk with 78cm height, so plenty of room for the bass if needed. Remained unsused space will be used as drawers.
The sub is (WidexDepthxHeight) 36x36x36, but from my measurements, it needs 40x60x45 to placed in (rca jacks and grill add depth, svs additional feets add height)
I have 2 way of design the drawer in mind:
The drawer which the sub is placed in will be bottomless so the sub won't shake the whole office desk.
1/ Tight fit: only 1cm plus true measured sizes, which is approximately 37x40x40 (grill removed)
2/ Big drawer: 70x70x55
3/ Anything else?
P/s: back can also be vented if needed. Plan to use 3cm thick wood.

Hope to read your feedback/recommendations. Thanks

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I'd go with tight spacing since the drawer will make a resonant chamber. The smaller it is, the higher the resonant frequency and so less chance for a change in the sub's response. The air gaps you can fill with damping material like acoustic foam. The thing is to make sure that there's enough ventilation for the built-in amp, like that back vent you noted.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My current subwoofer is literally ON my large desk. Not big though, and at an extremity. Kids couldn't reach it.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
My current subwoofer is literally ON my large desk. Not big though, and at an extremity. Kids couldn't reach it.
Also good acoustically since it's not coupling to the usual room boundary modes.

Top Bottom