• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help needed with 2.1 set up, with potential to expand to 5.1

nubcaek

Hi all,

I have been searching long and hard, but cannot find the exact answers I am looking for unfortunately. Please excuse me if I have missed any resources and feel free to refer to them.

Old:
I have a stereo set up with Topping D50S, 2x Hypex Ncore 252 and 2x Dali Zensor 5 and I have noticed that it simply is not able to create the soundstage I am looking for.

After a lot of researching I have come to the conclusion that having 2 bookshelf speakers + subwoofer is a lot better than 2x floorstanding speakers. Additionally, I believe that the front stage speakers are the most important once to have, whilst the (optional) back 2 speakers are supporting for surround sounds.

Hence, I have decided that I would like to start with a 2.1 system, with the potential of growing this to a 5.1 set in the future, depending on 'when' the soundstage meets my needs. In other words; if I ramp up to 3.1 and this meets my needs, I will not extend to 5.1.

Situation:
House: my new house is 12m long, 5m wide and ~2.7m high, where I am using the back of the house (5x5m) for my home theater.
Use case: 20/80 music / home theater.

I would like to re-use the Topping D50s (if possible) and the mono amps, and keep the footprint small. I would also like to use audio calibration software such as Audyssey XT32 / Dirac live, although I have zero experience with this. So ideally, it would be automated by the software and no manual tuning, as I have no interest / technical baseline / time for this.

My thoughts so far
1. Use a MiniDSP, which I could then connect to the DAC and subsequently Front L/R. I have insufficient knowledge about the MiniDSP (i.e. which one to take?) and the DAC cannot connect to a center (2ch) - so that would not help me a lot. Any suggestions here ?
2. Buy an AVR - what is then the use of a DAC ?
3. Any other suggestions ?

Help is greatly appreciated !

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
your room has two dimensions that are identical to each other, that's a disaster, you need a different room.

I would go for the most recent Pioneer and Onkyo receivers with Dirac Live and Dirac live bass control and call it a day.

Last edited:
OP
N

nubcaek

Wouldn't it be financially more interesting to add a different solution with a smaller footprint, e.g. MiniDSP DDRC24 ?

Top Bottom