• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help needed - product advise

Cex

Hi folks.

I’m newbie here, so please don’t be harsh on me

I’ve just sold my aging RX-V477 receiver to buy something more into audio. Also changed from tiny jbl cinema pack speakers to ELAC B6.2

But I’m really confused between products. What I need is good stereo sound, with good dac, not mandatory but optionally network capabilities/ sub output.

So, I’ve checked famous Marantz PM6007, but it’s damn expensive around $950 here in Turkey. Looks like great amp, but no network (although I can drive optical from android tv to amp for Spotify).

Second and third are Marantz PM 6006 and PM 7004. Both used and cost more or less the same money (~520USD).

Forth option is to buy a used PS Audio Sprout 100, which is around ~600USD.

Last but not least is the idea is going for separates, e g. brand new Schiit Modi+ (the new kid on the block, without the number), it seem to cost 221USD including shipping and customs clearance. Alternative; Topping E30 (first gen) seem to cost 158USD, again, shipping and customs included. I tend to buy separates as it’s easier to upgrade a component later on.

But for separates; obviously I need an amp. Cambridge Audio AXA25 costs around 470USD. Or I can go with something less than 150USD from Chinese amps (the limit fir customs shipping excluded).

I really am struggling to decide, as the possibility to listen and compare is next to impossible.

Any ideas would be more than welcome.

P. S. A least charming alternative seem to be the Yamaha WXA50, all in one, Class D (970USD) or Denon Pma 600 for 850USD, not sure about the class.

Last edit: Yamaha A-S301 is available at 580USD new and 420USD used locally.

Cheers,
Cem

Last edited:

BeeKay

Hi Cem,

you could check Audiophonics, a recommended French distributor. Offering everything from integrated amps (which is what you might look for) for down to DIY kits to save some bucks.

Edit: there is a menu option to switch to English ;)

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome. I wouldn't expect those options to be recommended here as they don't really measure that well for the price. What is your overall budget?

If it's stereo sound and you already have your speakers then I'd look at something like the minidsp flex, shd, or shd power. In either case take a look at the electronics measurements index and see what measures the best in your price range with the features you need to come up with a short list.

Reactions: Cex

BeeKay

ACE09974-1193-472E-AEE2-51C62A401D37.jpeg
This might be a match for you:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Check if you could find Yamaha R-N803, should be around 800€ new if you can find it as it pretty much has all you need (YPAO ain't great, strimer is a bit slow, and DAC is just deacent but it works and performs rather well all together and should last you for a long time).
Best regards and have a nice time.

OP
C

Cex

Welcome. I wouldn't expect those options to be recommended here as they don't really measure that well for the price. What is your overall budget?

If it's stereo sound and you already have your speakers then I'd look at something like the minidsp flex, shd, or shd power. In either case take a look at the electronics measurements index and see what measures the best in your price range with the features you need to come up with a short list.
Budget should not exceed $1K at very max.

OP
C

Cex

Check if you could find Yamaha R-N803, should be around 800€ new if you can find it as it pretty much has all you need (YPAO ain't great, strimer is a bit slow, and DAC is just deacent but it works and performs rather well all together and should last you for a long time).
Nice option! Thx, just checked the local price and costs something like €1470 here! Damn taxes and possibly high prices due to low sales volumes here.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Nice option! Thx, just checked the local price and costs something like €1470 here! Damn taxes and possibly high prices due to low sales volumes here.
Sorry to hear that (they are expensive but not that much also where I live), try digging a little more, maybe (hopefully) you find a better offer for it.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Budget should not exceed $1K at very max.
Ok. Then I would look at the Audiophonics that @BeeKay posted or look for a used Denon 3600 or 3700 series.

OP
C

Cex

Ok. Then I would look at the Audiophonics that @BeeKay posted or look for a used Denon 3600 or 3700 series.
Thanks. Haven’t seen many postings for the denon’s, but will keep checking. Audiophonics also seem good.

Last but not least; any good alternative for separates - dac & amp?

BeeKay

Last but not least; any good alternative for separates - dac & amp?
Like millions. Won’t you give this hobby a slow start? ;)

jsilvela

Last but not least is the idea is going for separates, e g. brand new Schiit Modi+ (the new kid on the block, without the number), it seem to cost 221USD including shipping and customs clearance. Alternative; Topping E30 (first gen) seem to cost 158USD, again, shipping and customs included. I tend to buy separates as it’s easier to upgrade a component later on.
Hi there!

started looking at ASR recently myself. Amir has reviewed tons of equipment, in the review index you can find amplifiers https://www.audiosciencereview.com/asrdata/ElectronicsallList

You will see there that amps with Hypex class-D modules are super attractive.
A retailer closer to Turkey is for example Audiophonics, located in France. They make a bunch of Hypex-based amps and integrated amps. See https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/power-amplifier-c-6306.html/s-44/brand_2-audiophonics

I bought a stereo amp based on Hypex NCore from them for < 400eur, and I'm very pleased with it.
Also, I see you mention Schiit. Again, US products are often more expensive the other side of the pond.
A brand IMO similar to it in Europe is Pro-Ject. They have several preamps, dacs etc.

Luck!

Last edited:

jae

Major Contributor
I like the Audiophonics suggestion. There's also an identical integrated product to the one suggested above that has double the WPC for 100 EUR more so it is a better value. Within the constrains of a $1000 budget virtually everyone here is going to suggest you buy some product using hypex ncore modules because that is simply the best option available in terms of specs (i.e. fidelity + power) and value, up to many many thousands of dollars and beyond where the better Hypex and similar modules like Purifi still dominate.

If you buy a standalone ncore mp amp from audiophonics, that's $400 for 125wpc and $500 for 250wpc. For an integrated product with the built in dac/bluetooth, that's $600/$700 respectively. So you're essentially paying $200 for the 'integration' of screen/display, dac, bluetooth features, remote etc. The best you can do for $200 is probably the Topping DX3 Pro+ or similar price tiered dac, which does not offer you much value over the Audiophonics integrated (with the exception of also having a headphone amplifier), but now you have to deal with another device, cables, making it look nice in your setup etc.

I think the thought of worrying about having 'separates' for future 'upgrades' here is a pointless exercise because both the dac in the audiophonics and topping or other suggested dac are already transparent, upgrading this is simply not going to improve your sound. Similarly the amp is already transparent as well, the only way you're feasibly upgrading your system is by buying better speakers, which is going to cost you probably at least $1500-2000+ for a meaningful upgrade, and it's very unlikely that an existing Audiophonics 250wpc amp would not be able to drive them already. Or perhaps, when you're ready to upgrade your speakers you just get active speakers meaning all this amp/dac business in the first place becomes meaningless. If you bought the $600-700 Audiophonics integrated, you have $300-400 left over to do other things like buy a Wiim/Wiim Pro streamer if you're into streaming music, to invest or put towards a subwoofer for better bass extension, put towards a measurement microphone or minidsp processor for room correction, room treatments (if feasible), or to start saving for better speakers in the future, all of which actually affect your sound or enjoyment a lot more than these electronics.

Last edited:
OP
C

Cex

I like the Audiophonics suggestion. There's also an identical integrated product to the one suggested above that has double the WPC for 100 EUR more so it is a better value. Within the constrains of a $1000 budget virtually everyone here is going to suggest you buy some product using hypex ncore modules because that is simply the best option available in terms of specs (i.e. fidelity + power) and value, up to many many thousands of dollars and beyond where the better Hypex and similar modules like Purifi still dominate.

If you buy a standalone ncore mp amp from audiophonics, that's $400 for 125wpc and $500 for 250wpc. For an integrated product with the built in dac/bluetooth, that's $600/$700 respectively. So you're essentially paying $200 for the 'integration' of screen/display, dac, bluetooth features, remote etc. The best you can do for $200 is probably the Topping DX3 Pro+ or similar price tiered dac, which does not offer you much value over the Audiophonics integrated (with the exception of also having a headphone amplifier), but now you have to deal with another device, cables, making it look nice in your setup etc.

I think the thought of worrying about having 'separates' for future 'upgrades' here is a pointless exercise because both the dac in the audiophonics and topping or other suggested dac are already transparent, upgrading this is simply not going to improve your sound. Similarly the amp is already transparent as well, the only way you're feasibly upgrading your system is by buying better speakers, which is going to cost you probably at least $1500-2000+ for a meaningful upgrade, and it's very unlikely that an existing Audiophonics 250wpc amp would not be able to drive them already. Or perhaps, when you're ready to upgrade your speakers you just get active speakers meaning all this amp/dac business in the first place becomes meaningless. If you bought the $600-700 Audiophonics integrated, you have $300-400 left over to do other things like buy a Wiim/Wiim Pro streamer if you're into streaming music, to invest or put towards a subwoofer for better bass extension, put towards a measurement microphone or minidsp processor for room correction, room treatments (if feasible), or to start saving for better speakers in the future, all of which actually affect your sound or enjoyment a lot more than these electronics.
Great answer. Thanks for the time.

Just ordered the Audiophonics. I saw it doesn’t have a sub out, but the pre outs should work I believe.

Meanwhile self constructing 6pcs of 120cmx60cm acoustics panels for room treatment using some acoustic rock wool. Will post the pics when done.

jsilvela

Great answer. Thanks for the time.

Just ordered the Audiophonics. I saw it doesn’t have a sub out, but the pre outs should work I believe.
Pre outs for the sub is what I use. Works well IMO

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You should go as you settled to go with components setup and amplifier doesn't have LFE (at least I would) with a sub that has lo level out with high pass filter (from DAC with preamp out with volume controls to sub and from there to amplifier line in) as a least problematic option to integrate.
Eager to see how absorber panels will look like and don't forget to make front wall corner ones too (as they give most boost [including problematic room fundamentals], up to +6 dB).

Top Bottom