• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help needed on Budget Compact Speakers

VulcanicCloud

Hey there,

I'm currently looking to get a pair of active speakers for my desktop setup. I'm testing out the Edifier MR4 right now, and while they are pretty good, I can't fit them in my setup.

I'm looking for a pair that are at most 4.5 inches in width. Speakers the size of stuff like the Kanto YU2 and Monoprice MM-3. Preferably in the $100-150 range. Bonus points if I can get them in white.

Before all this, I was just using some Logitech Z200s. So my bar for something better is very low lol. Let me preface this by saying these speakers will only be used for casual use. Stuff like the occasional gaming, YouTube, and show watching. I have my HD 6XXs and Penon Vortex for more critical listening, and for music in general (I mostly use my HD 6XXs anyways). It's why I'm trying to stay around the $100 range. I'm curious about the Kanto YU2, as they are compact and I can get them in white. I can find them for around $160 open box, which I'm willing to stretch the budget if they are worth it.
I know the iLoud Micro Monitors are a good set. But I don't find it worth spending over $250 for speakers that I will be using occasionally and casually.
I was planning on getting the Klipsch Promedia 2.1, but the fact that they don't have an on/off switch is not worth it.
I'm losing my mind over trying to just find a good enough set of small speakers lol. I'm almost tempted to just get some Bose Companion 2 Series III and be done with it.

Thank you
-Mark

OP
V

VulcanicCloud

For each speaker, or for a pair?
For the pair. Honestly they don't need to be top the line or what not. Just better than the Logitech's and without the constant static when on would do the trick.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'd look for a pair of iLoud Micro Monitor on eBay. They sell frequently for $150/pair used. New they're $250. They're 3.5in wide.
iloudmm_white_U6A1505_v3_rz_1500@2x.jpg

Edit:
Here it is next to the MR4: https://comparesizes.com/comparison/Edifier-MR4-vs-iLoud-Micro-Monitor/1670456211318

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I’ve had a pair of Audioengine A2 since they first came out, originally for computer use then relegated to kitchen duties using line in from Alexa dot, brilliant wee speakers that sound very pleasing to the ear with a nice warm sound and surprisingly good low end.

Audioengine here but I see they now sell a more expensive revised version for more than your budget, eBay have a number of A2’s for sale for around £100 ish or $120ish.

paudio

I went with some iLoud MTMs ($299 a side right now) and they play all my electronic music all the way down into the 30hz in room at desktop levels.

Kind of tough for something to be so compact, cheap and worth listening to and I agree with staticV3 that the Micro is your closest bet. I think they will go down further than those Edifier MR4 too which is pretty crazy considering their smaller.

I went with the lowest reaching compacts I could find that got ok reviews. I listen to a lot of music that goes <40hz though and the MTMs haven't disappointed and are always surprising.

If you are running em straight out of your PC you could grab an apple dongle dac for $10 to any option better likely.

Last edited:
Top Bottom