• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help needed from Freya+ owners

ABall

Forum Donor
Hi folks, so I was setting up my speaker levels for my AV amp through my newly acquired Freya+ and came across something odd. While playing the test tone I decided to switch from passive mode to JFET and the volume dropped about 5dB. I thought both the passive mode and buffer mode where both unity gain so I was a bit surprised by this. I have read posts on the forum that people cant tell the difference between these 2 modes so I'm thinking theres a problem, I emailed schiit a few days ago but I have not heard back yet. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this, balanced inputs are not affected and both channel's are the same so maybe it's ok.

halo

I own the old freya with tubes.
I can't hear a difference in volume (or any other kind) between the JFET and passive mode.
Although I did not use any measurement equipment, I am sure I would have heard a 5dB difference

OP
ABall

ABall

Forum Donor
I own the old freya with tubes.
I can't hear a difference in volume (or any other kind) between the JFET and passive mode.
Although I did not use any measurement equipment, I am sure I would have heard a 5dB difference
Thanks Halo, yeah you would hear it although I was using a test tone, are you using the single ended inputs as the balanced inputs aren't affected which leads me to think it's the single ended to balanced conversion that the plus does.

OP
ABall

ABall

Forum Donor
Just thought I would update here, ive been running the Freya with my modified TPA amplifier but I thought I would put my Alecto monos back in, turns out the Freya isnt suited to DC Coupled amps and 96dB speakers, every time I switch modes I get a pop at the speakers and if I turn the volume up too fast that makes a noise too, there was no probs with the little TPA so it looks like its a DC leak thing again.

Top Bottom