• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help needed for setup of a DLNA client/server/renderer system

linuxfan

LTig, I see you have a working solution running a DLNA server on your Synology NAS, streaming to your Sigma SSP's DLNA renderer ... but gapless playback does not work.
I understand that successful gapless playback with DLNA depends on the interaction between DLNA controller and renderer (nothing to do with the server) and Google tells me that the Sigma SSP renderer will not play well in this regard -
https://www.avforums.com/threads/classe-sigma-series.1905220/page-21#post-25187773
I might get me an RPI4 which mounts the NAS audio folder to circumvent the DLNA server.
Yes, that's a good option. Configure the rPi to mount the NAS as a CIFS network share, then run a music server of your choice on the rPi.
My preference is Music Player Daemon ... but this usually requires some command line Linux skills to set up.
LMS/Squeezelite via piCorePlayer is popular - for this you need an LMS control app on your phone such as SqueezePlayer or Squeezer.
Or Volumio or Moode Audio are good options - these are controlled from any web browser.
https://volumio.org/
https://moodeaudio.org/#features

OP
LTig

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LTig, I see you have a working solution running a DLNA server on your Synology NAS, streaming to your Sigma SSP's DLNA renderer ... but gapless playback does not work.
I understand that successful gapless playback with DLNA depends on the interaction between DLNA controller and renderer (nothing to do with the server) and Google tells me that the Sigma SSP renderer will not play well in this regard -
https://www.avforums.com/threads/classe-sigma-series.1905220/page-21#post-25187773
Thanks for the link. Sigma SSP support seems to gave gone over the rails after Sound United bought Classé.
Yes, that's a good option. Configure the rPi to mount the NAS as a CIFS network share, then run a music server of your choice on the rPi.
That's what a friend of mine does who helped me chose what to buy. He uses a Zotac (Intel based) with Libreelec though. If I go into this direction (RPI/Zotac) I would rather use the HDMI (or USB) connection, so I can stream video as well (although the Sony does this quite good, except that support of opus audio is missing).
My preference is Music Player Daemon ... but this usually requires some command line Linux skills to set up.
No problem, linux user since 1998, unix since 1991.
LMS/Squeezelite via piCorePlayer is popular - for this you need an LMS control app on your phone such as SqueezePlayer or Squeezer.
Or Volumio or Moode Audio are good options - these are controlled from any web browser.
https://volumio.org/
https://moodeaudio.org/#features
Thanks for the lnks, shall have a look. What does LMS stand for?

linuxfan

LMS = Logitech Media Server, the open source version of SqueezeServer, which was the server back end for the pioneering SqueezeBox network music device. A Raspberry Pi (or some other SBC) can take the place of a SqueezeBox by running Squeezelite. This system has its fans, who often cite reliability and controller apps with good user interfaces as winning their favour.

DLNA is the server model with broad industry support, so if you have a commercial device which only offers this option, your choice is obviously limited to this. Such is the case for one of my setups, and I'm not a big fan of the DLNA controller apps which are available for Android.

Music Player Daemon is straightforward and frills-free.

Volumio, Moode, and RuneAudio have extensive user interfaces, and streaming music client options.

If I go into this direction (RPI/Zotac) I would rather use the HDMI (or USB) connection, so I can stream video as well
High definition video playback tests the upper limits of what the rPi is capable of, and I've read that H.265 video decoding is not yet fully supported for the rPi, so you might want to consider some other single board computer as a video renderer - the Odroid N2+ or C4 are well regarded for this purpose. Or go all-out and get an nVidia Shield.

Regarding using a rPi (or Odroid) as dual-purpose music/video renderer? Mmm, I'm wary of that idea. For best quality music playback I would configure the rPi to output audio via USB to the USB input of your Sigma SSP - please don't use the HDMI input! It will likely resample the audio to 48kHz and add jitter.
But then when it's time to watch a movie, I'm not sure if the Sigma SSP will allow multi-channel decoding via the USB input, so you may need to reconfigure for HDMI audio input. You would end up having to constantly change audio configuration of the rPi.

For me, I would set up two separate devices for music and video.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Regarding the HDMI/USB audio output question above, there used to be a squeezebox client plugin for kodi - essentially a way of running squeezelite on dedicated player images without having to do any manual messing. It might allow you to configure squeezelite to use the USB audio while leaving the video playback using the HDMI. You can certainly use such a configuration if you put it together yourself.

navrsale

+1 BubbleUPnP + Plex Media Server as DLNA server

PMS may not be the best DLNA server but GUI looks nice and the paid version even provides remote playback everywhere on the go. Despite rich GUI, it actually rather lightweight and runs on ton of hardware, including cheap Synology and QNap NAS models. I run it here on a RPi 3B with 1GB of memory, alongside with tons of other stuff and it works without a glitch.
How can I add folders on Twonky NAS to the library on the Plex server?

linuxfan

I see that you have Twonky running on a NAS device. Can you provide some more details;
What exactly is your NAS device?
What device is your Plex Media Server running on?

Bamyasi

If I were you, I would rather install PMS on your NAS, if there is a supported version for it. That would save you one computer running. What kind of NAS do you have and what is your home network configuration?

linuxfan

I would rather install PMS on your NAS, if there is a supported version for it.
That's what I was driving at in my previous post, and why I asked for further information about the actual hardware devices involved.

navrsale

That's what I was driving at in my previous post, and why I asked for further information about the actual hardware devices involved.
PMS is on a Linux server with two galvanically isolated Ethernet ports, one for the router and the other one for the streamer (Roku 3). Roku 3 is connected to AVR via HDMI. The NAS is a an old 2TB WD MyBookLive. I also have PMS running on a iMac that can see MyBookLive, but iMac is connected to the router via wifi as it is in another room. The Linux server with PMS is a music server that also runs Minimserver, MPD/DLNA, Roon Core, SqueezeLite, HQPlayer etc. It has a GUI for installing and configuring those servers and players.

linuxfan

OK, I see you have a rather complicated setup and it's not easy to consolidate PMS onto the NAS.
On your devices running PMS (Linux server and iMac) the NAS must first be mounted by the operating system, then Plex can access it via the directory path defined by the operating system -
https://support.plex.tv/articles/201122318-mounting-network-resources/

Taking a broader look at your setup, though, can't your Roku 3 simply act as a DLNA endpoint for your Twonky DLNA server on the NAS (thus bypassing Plex altogether)?

navrsale

OK, I see you have a rather complicated setup and it's not easy to consolidate PMS onto the NAS.
On your devices running PMS (Linux server and iMac) the NAS must first be mounted by the operating system, then Plex can access it via the directory path defined by the operating system -
https://support.plex.tv/articles/201122318-mounting-network-resources/

Taking a broader look at your setup, though, can't your Roku 3 simply act as a DLNA endpoint for your Twonky DLNA server on the NAS (thus bypassing Plex altogether)?
That is exactly what I did, thanks. The user interface of the Linux server was not quite intuitive but eventually I was able to mount a SMB share from Linux server to MybookLive NAS. So now I am able to use PMS on a high level music server, which is connected directly to Roku 3 via Ethernet for a superb video quality. I can continue to use Twonky from PMS on iMac, but the quality of the video/sound cannot compare to a dedicated server (Antipodes CX)
Since I do not have DAC yet (except the one within AVR Pioneer VSX33 that has no inputs), I believe my best option to listen hifi music is to continue using Roku 3 as a Plex player (since it has HDMI output to AVR)? Antipodes server has only USB and Ethernet outputs.

I was able to stream music from iMac Audirvana 3+ to BubbleUPnP on Android phone but am wondering if I can somehow pass on this stream to Roku 3? Allegedly, Audirvana 3+ can do the first MQA unfolding.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 2.15.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 2.15.45 PM.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

linuxfan

I was able to stream music from iMac Audirvana 3+ to BubbleUPnP on Android phone but am wondering if I can somehow pass on this stream to Roku 3?
Well Google tells me that Audirvana can be configured as a DLNA/UPnP server, and Roku3 can act as a DLNA renderer, so it should certainly be possible ...
but DLNA/UPnP compatibility can never be assured between different hardware devices. You might need to ask on the Audirvana forum, or Roku forum.

I just realised that your amplifier and speakers are very high end. I must say that I suspect the weak link in your audio chain will be the rather ordinary DAC in the VSX-33, and the fact that audio data is delivered to this DAC via a jittery HDMI interface.
I think your amp and speakers deserve a good DAC - for recommendations just go over to the "Digital To Analog (DAC) Review and Discussion" section.

Antipodes server has only USB and Ethernet outputs.
State of the art DAC's, at this particular point in time, use USB. A lot of technology goes into USB audio interfaces.

navrsale

Well Google tells me that Audirvana can be configured as a DLNA/UPnP server, and Roku3 can act as a DLNA renderer, so it should certainly be possible ...
but DLNA/UPnP compatibility can never be assured between different hardware devices. You might need to ask on the Audirvana forum, or Roku forum.

I just realised that your amplifier and speakers are very high end. I must say that I suspect the weak link in your audio chain will be the rather ordinary DAC in the VSX-33, and the fact that audio data is delivered to this DAC via a jittery HDMI interface.
I think your amp and speakers deserve a good DAC - for recommendations just go over to the "Digital To Analog (DAC) Review and Discussion" section.

State of the art DAC's, at this particular point in time, use USB. A lot of technology goes into USB audio interfaces.

I am thinking about installing Kodi on my Linux server. But the server has only web interface for installing certain software. The port 22 seems to be open when I try to ssh, it asks for password, but I do not know neither username nor password. I was thinking to maybe use John the Ripper, but am not sure if that is a feasible option?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I am thinking about installing Kodi on my Linux server. But the server has only web interface for installing certain software. The port 22 seems to be open when I try to ssh, it asks for password, but I do not know neither username nor password. I was thinking to maybe use John the Ripper, but am not sure if that is a feasible option?
What sort of server is this?

linuxfan

What sort of server is this?
Antipodes CX

I am thinking about installing Kodi on my Linux server.
Wow, it seems to me that you are taking an unguided tour of each and every media application available on the planet. That's fine, but at some point I suggest it's a good idea just to sit back and listen to the music.

But the server has only web interface for installing certain software.
That's the nature of commercial products, even if, in the case of Antipodes servers, they are based on open source software.

I do not know either username nor password
Antipodes Audio provided the server. You should contact them.
But if you really want to do your own installations and configuration, I suggest you ditch commercial servers altogether, and set up your own customised server from scratch.

Regarding Antipodes' dual isolated ethernet ports: bah humbug!

navrsale

Wow, it seems to me that you are taking an unguided tour of each and every media application available on the planet. That's fine, but at some point I suggest it's a good idea just to sit back and listen to the music.

That's the nature of commercial products, even if, in the case of Antipodes servers, they are based on open source software.

Antipodes Audio provided the server. You should contact them.
But if you really want to do your own installations and configuration, I suggest you ditch commercial servers altogether, and set up your own customised server from scratch.

Regarding Antipodes' dual isolated ethernet ports: bah humbug!
What do you think about Aurender N20 and Taiko Extreme?

linuxfan

Oh, I wasn't dismissing the Antipodes device completely, just pouring scorn on the isolated ethernet ports - that's an extreme case of gilding the lily. Ethernet already offers galvanic isolation by design.
I'm unfamiliar with those other commercial products you mention.
By the way, quoting my entire post(s) is an unnecessary waste of forum space.

navrsale

Oh, I wasn't dismissing the Antipodes device completely, just pouring scorn on the isolated ethernet ports - that's an extreme case of gilding the lily. Ethernet already offers galvanic isolation by design.
I'm unfamiliar with those other commercial products you mention.
By the way, quoting my entire post(s) is an unnecessary waste of forum space.
The linear power supply in it is probably $1500-2000 and I got the whole comp for $2800 practically new, blank warranty card. CX motherboard is of the same type as $15k K50. The noise is still propagating through the ethernet. CX gets rid of that noise without filtering, that's its main task. Incoming ethernet is from the router via CAT6 and then supposedly very clean CAT7 ethernet to the streamer. I cannot confirm this because I do not have DAC nor streamer but I connected Roku 3 via cheap CAT5 cable and Spotify via Roku 3 remote wi-fi sounds fantastic, Plex movies as well, both picture and sound.

linuxfan

The linear power supply in it is probably $1500-2000 and I got the whole comp for $2800 practically new, blank warranty card.
I made no comment regarding the Antipode's monetary value.

The noise is still propagating through the ethernet.
Audible noise? Or measured electronic noise?
If audible, you are very unlucky. I have heard high end DAC/amplifier/speakers being fed from $50 RaspberryPi-based servers, with no such outcome.
If measured, it would be worthwhile loaning your equipment to Amir, who can check the situation using rigorous and credible test regimes.
I reiterate that it's an unnecessary waste of forum space to quote my posts in their entirety.

navrsale

I made no comment regarding the Antipode's monetary value.

Audible noise? Or measured electronic noise?
If audible, you are very unlucky. I have heard high end DAC/amplifier/speakers being fed from $50 RaspberryPi-based servers, with no such outcome.
If measured, it would be worthwhile loaning your equipment to Amir, who can check the situation using rigorous and credible test regimes.
I reiterate that it's an unnecessary waste of forum space to quote my posts in their entirety.
I do not have DAC so I am just reiterating the reasons Antipodes designed their systems in the way they are designed. As far as I could see, they were the first one that (publicly) stated the following 3 things that their design will deal with: noise, bandwidth, clock. That's why I purchased Antipodes. Maybe they are lying. Audio Science Review discovered that Uptone was lying in regard to their ER claims. But maybe Audio Science Review is lying. No, we have to make certain boundaries. Yes, there were, occasionally, scientific articles published in peer reviewed journals that were debunked later by other researchers who repeated the process that was described in the paper. But these instances are extremely rare. It is highly unlikely that ASR provided fake graphs. I trust ASR measurements. At least in the noise caused jitter for Uptone does not mention anything about bandwidth and its impact on jitter.

What I mentioned about noise is a general observation from Antipodes, an intro why they designed their systems in that particular way. Now I am waiting for ASR to confirm or debunk this claim by Antipodes. And no, I am not going to rely on my ears (I once heard Cayin ai265 amplifier with Dynaudio 110 speakers and I though the amplifier must be 1000s and 1000s of dollars...it was $80 amp now discontinued).

Top Bottom