• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help needed - Alternative to DCX2496 or not

Jayce996

hello everyone,
i need your help and expertise
My DCX2496 is dead or almost, i'm not able to store anymore my settings and everytime i restart it all is gone, factory reset does not help.
So before buying the same one, I'm asking if there is not a better alternative today.
My objective is simple : crossover for bi-amping my speakers (JBL XPL200) powered by Hypex amps, behind is an EMOTIVA XMC2 used for audio & video
- IN/OUT 2x4 or 3x6 with XLR
- no volume control
- Analog inputs used
- budget max: 1000€ (new of second hand)

What i can see so far is:
- a new DCX2496
- DBX VENU360
- MiniDSP 2x4HD but limited to RCA only
-MiniDSP SHD would have been my preference , but it seems to not be well integrated in a HC environment and cannot bypass the volume control, without saying that it's 1500€.

Any idea would be amazing! thanks a lot

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
hello everyone,
i need your help and expertise
My DCX2496 is dead or almost, i'm not able to store anymore my settings and everytime i restart it all is gone, factory reset does not help.
I don't think that this device uses a backup battery so it could be that the flash memory has reached its end of life. However it could also be that the power supply has a problem. Take it off the mains, open the housing and look for the big capacitors in the power supply. If there is one which looks different (non flat top) it might need replacement. Any technician can do this within 30 minutes.

I own a DEQ2496 and some years ago it refused to come alive. I found one broken cap in the power supply and replaced it, since then it works as new.:)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

My Behringer DEQ2496 was similarly balky when new.

It has a big ROM (or maybe EPROM) in a socket.

Reseating it made it work, and it still works, years later.

(Mine actually had bent pins that weren't even going into the socket holes)

Looks like you might have one...

1624574278118.png

OP
J

Jayce996

Thx, just did the try without success, as well as looking at the caps, none has a curved top. Back to starting point...

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a MiniDSP 4x10 board I'm thinking about getting rid of or you could buy a new 2x8, phoenix terminals for the balanced in/out but will do everything your dcx2496 can and more.

Top Bottom