• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help needed! Airplay stopped working on Yamaha AVR(RX-880)

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometime between 7:00 AM and 11:00 AM this morning, Airplay functionality stopped working on my Yamaha RX-880 AVR. I know it's between these times because I was using it this morning(Qobuz) to listen to music while drinking my morning coffee, and now, when I just tried to use it.

Things I've tried so far:

Powering on and off the AVR
Reseting the router
Re-setting up the Network settings in the AVR
Trying to airplay from multiple devices(none work)
Restarting my phone
Updating the firmware in the AVR
Factory resetting the AVR

Anything else I can try? or am I just out of $1500?

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Let me add when Pure Direct is enabled, input sources other than the network sources, Bluetooth and USB cannot be delivered.

OP
richard12511

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm thinking it just straight up broke.

Looking at getting buying a Denon AVR now to replace it.
Have you gone into the Settings via the MusicCast app and edited sources? Could it possibly be unchecked?

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I have.

Not sure what else I can do. It randomly stopped working. I'm gonna wait a few days and hope it randomly starts working. If not, I'm probably gonna buy a Denon AVR. I've been wanting to try out Auro 3D, anyway.

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sometime between 7:00 AM and 11:00 AM this morning, Airplay functionality stopped working on my Yamaha RX-880 AVR. I know it's between these times because I was using it this morning(Qobuz) to listen to music while drinking my morning coffee, and now, when I just tried to use it.

Things I've tried so far:

Powering on and off the AVR
Reseting the router
Re-setting up the Network settings in the AVR
Trying to airplay from multiple devices(none work)
Restarting my phone
Updating the firmware in the AVR
Factory resetting the AVR

Anything else I can try? or am I just out of $1500?

I don’t know how your coding chops are (hopefully a lot better than mine)—you could put together raspberry pi or related streamer for very little cost ($35-$100, depending). You could go USB and probably hdmi out, or with a Hat, optical or coaxial out, to the receiver. It wouldn’t be tied to any one receiver, you could use it in multiple present or future settings. Full disclosure—I have two Raspberry Pi streamers but one of my kids had to do the setup and coding for me. :)

If you don’t want to go the Pi streamer route you and you use a TV in your system you could just buy an Apple TV and use AirPlay that way. It’s a lot cheaper than $1500, and again, it’s not tied to any one receiver. If you don’t want to go hdmi in to your receiver and your TV splits optical out of HDMI (mine does) you can just run optical out to your receiver that way. :cool:

OP
richard12511

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t know how your coding chops are (hopefully a lot better than mine)—you could put together raspberry pi or related streamer for very little cost ($35-$100, depending). You could go USB and probably hdmi out, or with a Hat, optical or coaxial out, to the receiver. It wouldn’t be tied to any one receiver, you could use it in multiple present or future settings. Full disclosure—I have two Raspberry Pi streamers but one of my kids had to do the setup and coding for me. :)

If you don’t want to go the Pi streamer route you and you use a TV in your system you could just buy an Apple TV and use AirPlay that way. It’s a lot cheaper than $1500, and again, it’s not tied to any one receiver. If you don’t want to go hdmi in to your receiver and your TV splits optical out of HDMI (mine does) you can just run optical out to your receiver that way. :cool:

My coding chops are pretty good. I need get one of those things to mess around with. Been thinking about it for years.

eugeneb1984

I had exactly the same AirPlay problem with my Yamaha RX-V681. I think I figured it out. Looks like Yamaha’s ‘bluetooth receive’ must be on so iPhone could recognize it as an AirPlay speaker. Once I enabled it, I switched the receiver to standby, unplugged the power, waited 30 sec, put back the power plug and turned it it back on. Once it reconnected to network, it showed up as AirPlay speaker both in my and my wife’s iPhones. I hope this helps.

Top Bottom