• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help! Need food-grade high-temp insulator

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps some Femo? It's a modeling clay that is then baked, all kinds of craft applications. So you could mould it to fit the cooktop at 3 or 4 positions at whatever height and stabilizing scheme you come up with.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wait, just so we're clear - you got a work burner that doesn't work with carbon steel? Isn't that like, illegal??

I've been thinking of getting one of those outdoor propane ones.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Wait, just so we're clear - you got a work burner that doesn't work with carbon steel? Isn't that like, illegal??

He must be using the wrong size/diameter wok pan? Otherwise the unit is defective.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
how about a restaurant supply store?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
how about a restaurant supply store?
Already liked one above. With the pan recommend by the OEM of the range top. $139.00

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
This is what we use:

1620349437795.png

100,000 BTU. Zero to red hot in seconds. Real wok hei.

BillH

Forum Donor
I don’t think this has been posted, if so I apologize
One should not think about the temperature of the stovetop.
There is no temperature.
Think of a microwave oven.
It isn’t hot in the microwave, rather the microwave energy is coupled into the water molecules to heat items in the oven.
For the stovetop, it isn’t hot, rather it induces heating in the item on the stovetop through AC fields and the materials resistance to the AC currents.
So, the ideal spacer material is probably one much lower AC resistance than the cooking vessels.
Any AC losses generate heat and cause the item to melt
Why not cast iron? Let me think about it but it may be related to the the magnetic susceptibility...

Two ideas:

1) Have you tried the glass welding blankets rather than the carbon fibre ones?
2) Perhaps you could make a part to go between the cooktop and wok out of refractory mortar

Edit: I think @BillH has a good point.
Edit: Could you not support the wok externally, effectively hanging over the cooktop?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
The Lodge cast iron wok has a nice flat bottom, but on my natural gas burners, I usually prefer the cheap Walmart ImaUSA carbon steel wok... of course a good 10k+ BTU burner is the real solution to the problem, isn't it?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So a man who will spend $20,000 on speakers thinks $200 for a wok is over the top?
If it worked, no problem. But no serious cook uses a stainless steel wok! :D High carbon steal heats up instantly and with right seasoning, it becomes essentially non-stick. It is also better able to impart the "wok hay."

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Two ideas:

1) Have you tried the glass welding blankets rather than the carbon fibre ones?
I almost bought one this week but as I noted, the seller of one of them scared me saying it cannot be used around food.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
An update. My wife also had these colorful glass beads. I tried them and they work too! And look nice. I am a little worried about them spontaneously exploding/shattering or something. :) Anyone has knowledge of whether this can happen? Are there trapped gasses inside them that could do this?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, why not tackle the problem at the source?
I sent a message but they didn't answer. Will pester them again. I suspect they will just tell me to use their stainless steel one......

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Glad to see it has internal Litz wire- how audiophile of it.
Yeh, if it doesn't work out as a wok, I am sure it will have a future as a waveguided tweeter!!! :D

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An update. My wife also had these colorful glass beads. I tried them and they work too! And look nice. I am a little worried about them spontaneously exploding/shattering or something. :) Anyone has knowledge of whether this can happen? Are there trapped gasses inside them that could do this?

My sister-in-law, the foodie, says no. Since 2016, none have ever broken in a high-energy way, although two cracked and fell apart undramatically.

I almost bought one this week but as I noted, the seller of one of them scared me saying it cannot be used around food.
I have a couple [for welding purposes], they're pretty tightly woven, they don't feel sharp, actually quite slippery. I can't imagine stray fibres suddenly jumping out of the weave and into your wok... though I can see the point of not wanting glass fibres anywhere near your food...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have a couple [for welding purposes], they're pretty tightly woven, they don't feel sharp, actually quite slippery.
I wonder if the resin used to make fiberglass stinks up like the other material I tested when it is super heated for good length of time.

Freeway

If it worked, no problem. But no serious cook uses a stainless steel wok! :D High carbon steal heats up instantly and with right seasoning, it becomes essentially non-stick. It is also better able to impart the "wok hay."

I see you realize, just like all audio equipment (especially speaker cable), a wok needs to be 'burned in'.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Those things scare me. :) If you have 240 volt these induction cooktops are incredible. It goes from zero to smoking in 30 seconds. Put some vegetables in there and it will explode with steam. Nothing will just sit there stewing in juices unless you wanted it too. The only drawback compared to the restaurant blowtorches is that it won't heat up all the way to the sides.

Top Bottom