• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me with car choices, please

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The American consumer should be ashamed of what HE did to the US market, they are completely devoid of any national pride.
I worked in a multi-line GM dealership from the early 80s through the mid-late 90s. We also had a Honda dealership in the same location. All the GM lines had numerous and varied problems, many of which were not minor. Steering racks, FI issues, transaxles failures, and just generally poor overall quality. The Hondas, not so much. There were some bright spots, particularly in the GMC lineup. The cars were just annoyingly problematic. IMHO, it was more the manufacturers who let the consumer down, rather than the other.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The American consumer should be ashamed of what HE did to the US market,
Which "HE"? The dude that heads Hyundai or the other that drives Kia?
We used to make fun of their clunkers but in a few years they no longer were.
Both learned from the clunker episodes of Japanese car industry, which lasted well over a decade.
But "GM" watched all of these and did not learn (m)any lessons from the Clunkers-R-Us crowd.:mad:
[See what I mean by "banana loving musketeers"?]

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I worked in a multi-line GM dealership from the early 80s through the mid-late 90s
I worked as a UAW union mechanic at GM, Dodge, and AMC dealers during the same period.
Never witnessed any serious widespread issues.
Let's see, I just read Honda recalling half a million (500,000) cars for SEATBELTS that don't latch. :facepalm:

[See what I mean by "banana loving musketeers"?]
No, I fail to see how "bananas or musketeers" enter the discussion???

Which "HE"?
"The American consumer should be ashamed of what HE did to the US market,"

The consumer, what part of that simple sentence did you not understand?
I've never bought a foreign car and never will.
I don't understand an American who fails to support his own country, very sad
Your kids and grandkids will live in it.

Last edited:

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Steering racks were notorious for failing after just a couple of years. One had to be very careful appraising trades. 3.8 V6s used in Pont/Olds/Buicks prone to randomly cutting out while normal driving, 4-6-8 engine failures, 5.7L diesel fiasco, horrific paint issues, lousy interior trim, 2.5L I4 used in GrandAm/Calais/Fiero models failed with regularity. These are but a few of the issues I saw at the dealership level. I grew up a GM fan, but that sort of soured it for me. Had good luck with Ford SUVs 2004 - 2019. Put about 275K on a pair of V8 versions. Quite liked them.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Get a hold yourself and STOP insulting other Americans who don't see the connection between 'support for country' and buying a foreign car... which may have been been made in WhereEver, USA, with American workers and partial US content.
I buy American cars and foreign cars but I refuse to buy that baloney you are selling.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your kids and grandkids will live in it.
I don't see really many American brands and made in USA products in your long audio system list, very sad ;):p

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No matter how you play the numbers game, count the number of US auto makers in business before 1990 compared to today. :(
The American consumer should be ashamed of what HE did to the US market, they are completely devoid of any national pride.
I wish my father, who fought as an infantryman 4 years thru the entire Pacific Theater was hear to tell you what he thinks.
The UK car industry has been even worse hit, it no longer exists - Jaguar/Land Rover is Indian, Rolls Royce and Bentley belong to BMW and VW and so on.
There are Toyota and Ford plants, none British, except the labour.

I don't blame lack of national pride though. I blame the domestic banking and stock market "industries".
Only interested in short term big profits they, unlike the German financial system (and maybe the Japanese) don't invest long term.
So when the VW Beetle became unpopular VW stopped making it and made a vast investment in designing and tooling for the Golf whilst in the English speaking world low investment left the companies trying to re-style and sell the same old stuff and customers weren't fooled.

So I blame tha Anglo-Saxon approach to banking and investment to the demise of both the US and UK vehicle industries, not the customers who just bought what they thought was best for them.

I have owned UK built cars in the past, but the only ones left make London Taxis, even Morgan has been sold.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I don't see really many American brands and made in USA products in your long audio system list, very sad ;):p
5 1990s Adcom amps don't count?
Adcom
8551 E. Anderson Drive, Suite 105
Scottsdale, AZ 85255

5 JBL HDI Synthsis speakers
JBL, until Harmans recent sale, was as old and iconic a us company as you'll find.

4 SVS Prime Elevation Speakers.
2 SVD SB2000 Subwoofers.
Headquartered in Youngstown, Ohio, SVS builds high performance subwoofers, speakers and audio accessories for people who are passionate about music, home theater, gaming, and powerfully immersive listening experiences.

I do what I can.
My Final post on this side issue. ;)

Top Bottom