• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me treat my room

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some of those absorbers you’re posting are very tall. That’s nice to have, but if focusing your budget I think you could do better with something like Gik 244 panels at first reflections. I don’t think you can go wrong with that.

Before going down the route of large bass traps, I would really get some room measurements first.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I take it then that you want to be careful with money now but can spend more on treatment when you properly renovate the room.

Some people actually build in room treatment when they design a room so that it isn't noticeable visually, certainly as far as bass traps go which need to be big. I've no experience of this but might be worth considering. Alternatively if you plan to have a full set of treatment - bass traps (as many as possible in my view) in wall - wall and wall - ceiling, even wall - floor corners, plus smaller panel type bass traps and something to prevent reflections from the walls - front, back and sides, (perhaps ceiling but may not be necessary). If you plan on this full treatment the best approach would be to buy some now - two or four bass traps and two panels say - and complete the job later.

Alternatively you could for the time being just concentrate on using DSP/EQ and make the best of that. This will require you to learn to measure, which is a good thing, and will give you some improvement for the time being.

Or, a combination of these things - use DSP/EQ to help control bass and panels to deal with wall reflections.

D

Deleted member 23982

bass traps (as many as possible in my view) in wall - wall and wall - ceiling, even wall - floor corners
Wall - ceiling corners are not that important in this room (pretty much always if you have wood floors/ceilings) because the wood will act as "bass trap" it will let the basses go through and doesnt reflect them very much
you can also test this, just play bass heavy music and go "on the ceiling" if possible, the more basses you hear the more gets through (and are kinda unimportant for the room below, unless they get reflected heavly back (which i dont think)
atleast for the bass not that important, you can get "smaller" ones for the mids/highs tho :)

if the floor is concrete i would -really- try to tackle first the bottom corners of each wall, even the door has some kind of (pretty good) impact as "bass trap" (i noticed this because i have a large (pretty thin wood) door right in the corner...) and extend up as you like/tested
im not sure what the "impact differences are" but treating right in the corner of 3 walls has pretty much 3x the effect as treating on a plain wall (so way cheaper with a heavy effect :) ) it has something todo with sound waves of all walls stacking up in the corner and you get pretty much a "concantrated" beam back right to the middle of the room, TRY TO GET RID OF THESE FIRST - TRUST ME :)

as far as basstraps go the ONLY two important parts are "heavyness" of the material and diameter (and like i said puttin the basstrap away from the corner, it will extend the range of basses "trapped" for free (because apparently not just the diameter sets the lowest frequency but the distance from wall to outer edge of the basstrap. tho full basstrap is of course more effective)

for mids highs its pretty much the same, the heavier the material the deeper the mids that get trapped (effectivly) (kaltschaum maratzen and apparently sound traps too) have a gauge of for example 25KG/m³, try to get 40KG/m³ ones :)

MCH

Major Contributor
Hello guys,
just came across, reading something at work, a PU foam called Baynat that Covestro markets for noise reduction in electric vehicles. I think they target higher frequencies as they seem to more relevant in EVs but in any case... The few results I could find don't seem impressive but they use thickness of 1 cm or so
As I don't like the idea of having rockwool, fiberglass or even MF at home, the only other alternative I know of is Caruso Iso Bond, that seems to be polyester, but still you need 5-10 cm.... Is anyone aware of any consumer available panels using this sort of PU foam that hopefully do something at a reasonable thickness?

brunes

Re opening an old thread.. I see some Basotect treatmetn for corners as squares, circles and triangles. Should I just get the thickest possible
1704889688508.png

keenly

Re opening an old thread.. I see some Basotect treatmetn for corners as squares, circles and triangles. Should I just get the thickest possible
View attachment 340940
Those will do nothing for the bass. You need THICK porous traps from rockwool, knauf, sheeps wool or hemp, and I do mean thick. Or you go with RPG Modex plates, artnovion traps, activated carbon, GIK tuned traps etc.

Foam is ok for reflections only.

Top Bottom