• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me to upgrade my audio system

ChaoscripT

Hi All,
My first post here :)

My current speakers are Edifier R1280DB, that I really love to hear through them (I don't have something else to compare).
The speakers connected to my PC and my working Laptop.
To my PC they connect with SPDIF cable to the built in audio card (Motherboard ASUS Z390 ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO)
To my laptop they connect with Bluetooth.

In the short future I want to connect both PC and laptop to Docking Station and want to find a solution to connect speakers to USB (Since my Edifier don't support USB connection),
So I thought it's really good chance to upgrade the audio system.

I thought maybe to take external audio card/external DAC with built in AMP connect via USB to the docking station and connect to active speakers (with amplifier) but without DAC.

I really happy to hear your thoughts about it.
I prefer 2 bookshelf speakers (without sub woofer)

* Managers, if the post don't fit to this forum, please move it to the appropriate forum.

Andretti60

Welcome to ASR

I don’t understand the part about connecting both desktop and laptop to the same docking station, a dock is made for a laptop, not a desktop, do you maybe mean how to connect the audio system to both computers and switch between them?

Back to the speakers. Those Edifier are the “best for the buck”, you cannot get anything better at that price, but their quality is just “meh”, good for near listening seating at a computer desk, without great expectations (I personally do not like them). But they are a “all in one”, in one package you get a DAC, an amp, a DSP, a Bluetooth module, tone controls and the speakers. There is no room for improvement (besides working on their position in the room), you can’t just substitute one the modules (not really true, but all the existing parts are already of the same quality).
In other words, if you really want to improve, you just need to move them in another room and buy a completely new setup.

OP
C

ChaoscripT

Welcome to ASR

I don’t understand the part about connecting both desktop and laptop to the same docking station, a dock is made for a laptop, not a desktop, do you maybe mean how to connect the audio system to both computers and switch between them?

Back to the speakers. Those Edifier are the “best for the buck”, you cannot get anything better at that price, but their quality is just “meh”, good for near listening seating at a computer desk, without great expectations (I personally do not like them). But they are a “all in one”, in one package you get a DAC, an amp, a DSP, a Bluetooth module, tone controls and the speakers. There is no room for improvement (besides working on their position in the room), you can’t just substitute one the modules (not really true, but all the existing parts are already of the same quality).
In other words, if you really want to improve, you just need to move them in another room and buy a completely new setup.

Thanks for the reply,
The docking isn't the problem here,
It's just for me to connect both PC and laptop to 2 monitors so I can change between them.

About the speakers,
I know that I can't upgrade them it's OK, I just looking for ideas/recommends how I can upgrade the audio system,
Maybe take external DAC with Active Speakers?

Regards.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe take external DAC with Active Speakers?
With your Edifier, it won't make sense. Since they already have digital inputs, my guess is that analog in (RCA) are digitalized for some kind of FDA chip (amplifier). Whatever DAC won't make them perform any better.

I know that I can't upgrade them it's OK, I just looking for ideas/recommends how I can upgrade the audio system,
Yes: better speakers.;)

OP
C

ChaoscripT

With your Edifier, it won't make sense. Since they already have digital inputs, my guess is that analog in (RCA) are digitalized for some kind of FDA chip (amplifier). Whatever DAC won't make them perform any better.

Yes: better speakers.;)
Thanks for the reply,
I understand that my Edifier will not work here.

The best solution here (to connect with USB to docking station) is external DAC with AMP and Passive speakers?
Or maybe external DAC and Active speakers?

Speakers = what's prefer studio monitors or "regular" speakers?

I looking for recommends about other speakers and external DAC with AMP so I can buy.

Regards

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I looking for recommends about other speakers and external DAC with AMP so I can buy.
I assume you mean headphones amp. Cause an amp is worthless with active speakers.;)

These are great :

This too:

Last edited:
OP
C

ChaoscripT

I assume you mean headphones amp. Cause an amp is worthless with active speakers.;)

These are great :

This too:

headphone amp?
There isn't a external DAC with AMP that fit to passive speakers?

Thanks for your offers, but they far higher from my budget.

Budget?

Lots of great active speakers to choose from, but best to recommend those that fit your budget.

I think something like $300-$500 for each, external DAC and active speakers?
This budget is doable?

Regards.

OP
C

ChaoscripT

Maybe SMSL D-6 as DAC and Kali LP-6 v2 or Kali IN-5 speakers would be within that budget?

Thanks for the recommendations!

Few thoughts/questions,
1. What's the difference between balanced and unbalanced outputs?
2. When I go to the DAC thread that you post, I saw that there is some graph with many models, I saw that SMSL D-6 is get good position at top, but also saw that models like SMSL SU-9n and Topping DX5 (for example) are also can be on my budget, what do you think?

Regards.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the recommendations!

Few thoughts/questions,
1. What's the difference between balanced and unbalanced outputs?
2. When I go to the DAC thread that you post, I saw that there is some graph with many models, I saw that SMSL D-6 is get good position at top, but also saw that models like SMSL SU-9n and Topping DX5 (for example) are also can be on my budget, what do you think?

Regards.
With a balanced connection (typically using TRS or XLR connectors) you have better rejection of ground loops and common-mode noise. You also get 2x output voltage ('louder'). If you don't have those aforementioned issues with unbalanced connections (typically RCA or 3.5mm connectors) then there's no audible sound quality difference between the two.

But since the price of balanced DACs such as the SMSL I linked has gone down in recent years, and since most studio monitors have balanced inputs it makes sense to use that.

I wouldn't expect the DAC I linked to sound 'poorer' than the more expensive units, it's good enough. What I mean is that the extra money is better spent on getting better speakers. That's where the potential audible improvements are.

If you use headphones as well then a unit with built-in headphone amp such as the DX5 would make a lot more sense.

OP
C

ChaoscripT

With a balanced connection (typically using TRS or XLR connectors) you have better rejection of ground loops and common-mode noise. You also get 2x output voltage ('louder'). If you don't have those aforementioned issues with unbalanced connections (typically RCA or 3.5mm connectors) then there's no audible sound quality difference between the two.

But since the price of balanced DACs such as the SMSL I linked has gone down in recent years, and since most studio monitors have balanced inputs it makes sense to use that.

I wouldn't expect the DAC I linked to sound 'poorer' than the more expensive units, it's good enough. What I mean is that the extra money is better spent on getting better speakers. That's where the potential audible improvements are.

If you use headphones as well then a unit with built-in headphone amp such as the DX5 would make a lot more sense.
Thanks for the explanation, so It's better to use the balanced outputs. (Got your point, thanks for that).

The question/thought about the DAC comes from place that I don't have such a knowledge about this. (Everyone know the sentence the "higher price the better product").

About the headphones, don't have, and I don't know if in future I will use/have :)

If in the docking station there isn't Type C connection, can I use Type C to USB3 Cable?

Regards.

Last edited:

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The question/thought about the DAC comes from place that I don't have such a knowledge about this. (Everyone know the sentence the "higher price the better product").
Thanks to people like Amir we now know that isn't always true when it comes to hifi.. Just pick one from the blue (or even green) category that fits your budget and has the features you need.

If you'd like a fancier case or special features like DSP then you can/have to pay more but objectively the quality of the digital-to-analog conversion is audibly transparent in normal use cases.

OP
C

ChaoscripT

Thanks to people like Amir we now know that isn't always true when it comes to hifi.. Just pick one from the blue (or even green) category that fits your budget and has the features you need.

If you'd like a fancier case or special features like DSP then you can/have to pay more but objectively the quality of the digital-to-analog conversion is audibly transparent in normal use cases.
Yes Amir doing great job!

I love to buy products that have best value for money :)

Regards.

OP
C

ChaoscripT

Maybe SMSL D-6 as DAC and Kali LP-6 v2 or Kali IN-5 speakers would be within that budget?
Beside these 2 speakers you have more recommendations about active speakers?

The speakers gonna to sit on table close to walls, so I understand that the port should be in front?

Also any good brand of TRS cable? Or all the cables will do the same work?

Regards

Webninja

Forum Donor
Those Kali LP6 v2 are at $300 for the pair at Sweetwater.

I was going to recommend the JBL 305 mkii, but I think the Kali is a better deal, especially since you don’t get the hiss.

OP
C

ChaoscripT

Those Kali LP6 v2 are at $300 for the pair at Sweetwater.

I was going to recommend the JBL 305 mkii, but I think the Kali is a better deal, especially since you don’t get the hiss.
What do you mean by hiss?

Also I forget to ask, you recommended about monitors, these (kali or jbl or other) is also good for just listening music? (I don’t gonna mix/record or something like that)

Regards

Webninja

Forum Donor
Some active monitors have a hiss that is audible when the monitor is on, but no music is playing or during quiet passages in music. The JBL 305s do, I have them, can hear the hiss, don’t notice it though. Others have had to return/sell them because it was more obvious.

Seems like the Kali do not hiss and any well measuring speakers will be good for listening and mixing.

I have the JBL 305 and another system with Neumann KH80s (highly recommended, but out of your budget) both great to listen to all genres.

OP
C

ChaoscripT

Some active monitors have a hiss that is audible when the monitor is on, but no music is playing or during quiet passages in music. The JBL 305s do, I have them, can hear the hiss, don’t notice it though. Others have had to return/sell them because it was more obvious.

Seems like the Kali do not hiss and any well measuring speakers will be good for listening and mixing.

I have the JBL 305 and another system with Neumann KH80s (highly recommended, but out of your budget) both great to listen to all genres.
OK got you.

Yes the Neumann is out of my budget.

What about Yamaha monitors? The HS models.

Regards

Top Bottom