• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me to choose rockwool thickness

Haxxor

I've been doing some research about how to make my own acoustic panels and come across to DIY type of wooden frame and rockwool technique is the most budget friendly one. I literally have no idea how to choose which thickness, how many I need, etc.

So I talked to them on Facebook and they offered me:

Density 40kg/m3
Density 60kg/m3
Density 80kg/m3
Density 100kg/m3

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Go for the thickest you can, it improves low frequency performance, and most acoustic problems are concentrated at low frequencies.

For the density, low is usually best so I would pick the 40kg/m3. A higher density may offer slightly better performance at bass frequencies, but loses significant mid-bass and mid-range performance.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I've been doing some research about how to make my own acoustic panels and come across to DIY type of wooden frame and rockwool technique is the most budget friendly one. I literally have no idea how to choose which thickness, how many I need, etc.

Density 40kg/m3
Density 60kg/m3
Density 80kg/m3
Density 100kg/m3
The thickness is link with the gas flow resistivity or air flow resistance for a frequency target.

You can use acousticmodeling website to see.

Zoomer

There's a thread discussing the health risks of different materials and the need for adequate covering. I don't remember the specifics about Rockwool, but it made me choose a different material.

Lieglein

Density 40kg/m3
Density 60kg/m3
Density 80kg/m3
Density 100kg/m3
450mm at 6000 Pa.s/m2 (Rockwool Sonorock) with random incidence are very good. More does not make sense according to those calculations.

Last edited:
OP
H

Haxxor

There's a thread discussing the health risks of different materials and the need for adequate covering. I don't remember the specifics about Rockwool, but it made me choose a different material.

It's literally made of rock and steel. I don't think it's unsafe, unless you want to eat it.

Zoomer

There's other ways to ingest stuff, like fibers in your lungs.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI

Nonick

Rockwool density 100kg/m3 is the best for that application. But take stone wool (they also have glass wool, mixed glass/mineral wool and stone wool). Stone wool is the safest regarding health issues and inhaling wool particles. Glass wool is the worst.
Stone wool is made of diabaz, dolomite, bazalt. In process of creating stone wool they add Coke (koks) and gas.

Top Bottom