• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help Me to choose for amp and speakers

massimo giu

Hello guys, are some months that I search in internet to have a minimum of knowledge before to buy my first hi fi amplifier and Speaker, my english is very poor and I hope that you excuse me.

At the end I am geared towards four Speakers and four Amps

For Speaker:
Klipsch rp 8000F II
Polk Audio Reserve R700
Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G
Q Acoustics Concept 50

For Amplifier:
Marantz model 40n
Rotel Ra 1592 mk2
Advance Acoustics A10 Classic
Musical Fidelity M6si

Now I would ask your help to understand the best match between speaker and amp and in your opinion a ranking of the combinations.
I listen to a little of everything, but above all Jazz, Pop music and a lot of female vocal music.
I very much hope that none of you are offended by these basic requests of mine.

See you soon friends

Recluse-Animator

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/klipsch_rp_8000f_ii/

Klipsch rp 8000F II:

CEA2034%20--%20Klipsch%20RP-8000F%20II.png

https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/polk-reserve-r700

Polk R700:

https://7review.com/monitor-audio-silver-500-7g-review/

Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G:

file7Q89AP6U.jpg.webp
fileUUSAY7HO.jpg

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...s/q-acoustics-concept-50-home-theater-system/

https://www.stereophile.com/content/q-acoustics-concept-50-loudspeaker

Q Acoustics Conceot 50:

722QC50fig05.jpg
722QC50fig06.jpg

Recluse-Animator

It's always best if you could listen to them in the same room, but that's extremely rare.
By measurements I would recommend the Polk.

Don't worry about amps, DAC, cables and so on. Use your budget on speakers, room treatment and maybe a room correction product like MiniDSP DIRAC.
Get the cheapest amp with the power and outputs you need.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I can't comment on the speaker choices, but I think your thinking on amplification is good. It'd be a tough decision between the Marantz and the Rotel for me. Probably lean to the Rotel for longterm reliability and performance, but the Marantz for looks, pride of ownership and likely resale value down the track if/when you upgrade.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

This is not a good suggestion.

Amplification is the bedrock of a system, will remain in place while peripherals are changed and will outlast speakers, sources and fashion.

Recluse-Animator

This is not a good suggestion.

Amplification is the bedrock of a system, will remain in place while peripherals are changed and will outlast speakers, sources and fashion.
Everything made today is planned obsolescence.
And even if it wasn't so price isn't a indication of quality. It's a marketing and belief system.
Most cheap amps will last at least a decade. Speakers can last 50 years. Connections change with time. I don't see a hassle in buying a new cheap amp every decade.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And even if it wasn't so price isn't a indication of quality. It's a marketing and belief system.
Most cheap amps will last at least a decade. Speakers can last 50 years. Connections change with time. I don't see a hassle in buying a new cheap amp every decade.
Is cheap high current 4 Ohm capable? Like rock hard stuff. No easy peasy movies stuff we wanna rock and roll all night long sorta stuff.

djtetei

I can't make a suggestion on your budget, because this is your own decision to make.
My personal suggestion is based on the system requirements - amplifier continous power capacity should be between two to four times the speakers continous power capacity at their nominal impedance.
Regarding speakers, I would advice you to look for the ones with the lowest frequency response (preferably below 40 Hz) and capable of delivering the required volume (SPL) for your room, put them to work in the room and decide afterwards if you want to integrate subwoofers for more low frequency entension.
Furthermore, if your budget allows it and the will to go further for achieving good acoustics is there, I would make some investments in room acoustic treatment.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

And, that's the thing- you've been indoctrinated into believing what you are repeating. I feel sorry for the mindset who think such a situation is normal. It isn't true, nor does it need to be.

My favourite main integrated/power amplifiers are all around the 30 year old mark for age. None of them need work, replacements or defer anything in the performance stakes to much of current offerings.

As for speakers, they fall apart, fail and nobody in their right mind would champion 50 years as remotely 'normal'. The more expensive the speaker, the less likely it will still be going in even 20 years.

Last edited:

Recluse-Animator

And, that's the thing- you've been indoctrinated into believing what you are repeating. I feel sorry for the mindset who think such a situation is normal. It isn't true, nor does it need to be.

My favourite main integrated/power amplifiers are all around the 30 year old mark for age. None of them need work, replacements or defer anything in the performance stakes to much of current offerings.

As for speakers, they fall apart, fail and nobody in their right mind would champion 50 years as remotely 'normal'. The more expensive the speaker, the less likely it will still be going in even 20 years.
You're talking about three decades old products and not products made today. Three decades ago a cars battery lasted longer than some cars made today. A car battery made today could have only 2/3 or 1/2 life left when you buy it just because it's been sitting on the shelf for half a year to a year.
There's no evidence to support your claim that the more expensive a speaker is the longer it lasts.

OP
M

massimo giu

It's always best if you could listen to them in the same room, but that's extremely rare.
By measurements I would recommend the Polk.

Don't worry about amps, DAC, cables and so on. Use your budget on speakers, room treatment and maybe a room correction product like MiniDSP DIRAC.

Thank you so much

for the reports and suggestions.

About the speakers I would like R700.
But I Heard good news about Q Acoustics Concept 50

OP
M

massimo giu

I can't comment on the speaker choices, but I think your thinking on amplification is good. It'd be a tough decision between the Marantz and the Rotel for me. Probably lean to the Rotel for longterm reliability and performance, but the Marantz for looks, pride of ownership and likely resale value down the track if/when you upgrade.
Thank You so much,

I like Rotel, that has also more Watts. On the other hand the Marantz has streamer.

But I must say that I like also the warm personality of Advance

Recluse-Animator

Thank you so much

for the reports and suggestions.

About the speakers I would like R700.
But I Heard good news about Q Acoustics Concept 50
The Q Acoustic also measures good. None of these speakers measure terrible, but measurements are one thing and preference is another. Not all like flat measuring speakers.
If in the future you're going to buy more speakers and make a home theater setup then you could buy a AVR that has DIRAC.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You're talking about three decades old products and not products made today. Three decades ago a cars battery lasted longer than some cars made today. A car battery made today could have only 2/3 or 1/2 life left when you buy it just because it's been sitting on the shelf for half a year to a year.
There's no evidence to support your claim that the more expensive a speaker is the longer it lasts.

You aren't making much sense- sorry. Car batteries? Happy to talk about car batteries in another thread, and yes, they last a hell of a lot longer in real terms than they did 30 years ago. 30 years ago, cars also didn't need 950CCA capabilities either.

Didn't make any claims about expensive speakers- actually the opposite- read my post again.

Recluse-Animator

You aren't making much sense- sorry. Car batteries? Happy to talk about car batteries in another thread, and yes, they last a hell of a lot longer in real terms than they did 30 years ago. 30 years ago, cars also didn't need 950CCA capabilities either.

Didn't make any claims about expensive speakers- actually the opposite- read my post again.
It's not just about car batteries or cars. It's about everything. My father changed his water heater a few years ago which was made in 1985. Still working, but the heater elements was showing their ages as they didn't heat as fast any more. He asked if the new one will also last 30 years and the installer said that max lifespan is 10 years.
My only 10 year old LG plasma's panel isn't any good any more.

You're claiming a car battery today lasts longer than 30 years ago? Absolutely ridiculous.

Sorry I misunderstood about the speaker part.

Sure we could make longer lasting products than decades ago, but that's not a good business model today according to 99% of manufacturers.
Stock prices needs to keep on climbing in this capitalist psychosis world.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Don’t agree at all when it comes to car batteries, 20 / 30 years ago if you got two years out of one you were lucky. Due to the way speakers work heavy useage and time will take their toll. Never had an amp fail with CD players the transports have occasionally been a problem. To sum it up regarding HiFi components ones with moving parts are generally less reliable.

Recluse-Animator

Don’t agree at all when it comes to car batteries, 20 / 30 years ago if you got two years out of one you were lucky. Due to the way speakers work heavy useage and time will take their toll. Never had an amp fail with CD players the transports have occasionally been a problem. To sum it up regarding HiFi components ones with moving parts are generally less reliable.
Well I got about 10 years and I live in a country where it's 30C in the summer and -20-30C in winter.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Well I got about 10 years and I live in a country where it's 30C in the summer and -20-30C in winter.
In your original comment on car battery like you stated ‘20 to 30 years ago’. What I will concede if your vehicle has stop/start engine technology, on and off in heavy traffic especially in a City, the battery life will be shortened.

Recluse-Animator

In your original comment on car battery like you stated ‘20 to 30 years ago’. What I will concede if your vehicle has stop/start engine technology, on and off in heavy traffic especially in a City, the battery life will be shortened.
I never wan't a car with that function unless it can be turned off. Start stop and cylinder deactivation shortens the engines lifespan and they should never be used.
You should also change your oil more frequently than the manufacturers recommended 30k km. 10k km is a good interval.
You should also change the gearbox oil even though it's not written in the manual.

Top Bottom