• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me spend my money...

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Hi Everyone,

I do not see a lot of recommendation threads on here. If this is frowned upon for some reason, feel free to ignore or delete.

Anyway, I am considering adding a new system, starting from scratch.
I currently only own DIY speakers, but I'm interested in commercial parts as a reference point.

Budget is $2000. Speakers need to be bookshelves (not taller than 16" or deeper than 12"), and they will be placed close to the wall behind them, unfortunately. Also, appearance matters.

My thoughts are:

Rythmik L12 sub ($560)

Focal 906 speakers ($1000 for a pair)

Elac EA101 integrated amp ($450)

Feedback and alternatives appreciated.

The amp seems like maybe the most questionable component, but there is at least 1 review online which suggests that the subwoofer integration and room calibration for <200Hz work well, which seem like significant selling points.

nck045

With your budget I would also consider the Elac DBR-62 which is almost half the price ($600) of the Focal's. They measure comparably but the bass goes lower on the Elac. IMO the only reason to go for the Focal is that you prefer it's looks.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How big is the room, and the distance from listening position (LP) to the speakers? How close is the wall behind the LP to the LP? Which sources do you want to use?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Everyone,

I do not see a lot of recommendation threads on here. If this is frowned upon for some reason, feel free to ignore or delete.

I currently only own DIY speakers, but I'm interested in commercial parts as a reference point.

Budget is $2000. Speakers need to be bookshelves (not taller than 16" or deeper than 12"), and they will be placed close to the wall behind them, unfortunately. Also, appearance matters.

My thoughts are:

Rythmik L12 sub ($560)

The amp seems like maybe the most questionable component, but there is at least 1 review online which suggests that the subwoofer integration and room calibration for <200Hz work well, which seem like significant selling points.
any way to squeeze 2 L12 subs into the budget? It's worth it.

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
I do unfortunately find the Elac's particularly unattractive.

Speaker to listening position will be ~9 feet. Room is probably 10 x 20 in size, speakers positioned on the long wall. Sitting on a couch which is against the opposite wall.

Sources will be TV, CD player. Would also like Bluetooth or WiFi.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
also don't forget to budget between $10 and $20 for high quality cable.

zermak

Have you considered the Yamaha WXA-50? It seems a bit more powerful and cleaner than the ELAC DS-A101, reading its specs.

For the subs I can't help but reading around here it looks like the best way to go is for two cheap than an expansive one.

And in my opinion the Focals are good but it is a bad pricing considering that you can have them for less than 600euros/pair (which here makes them a must have).

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Hi Everyone,

My thoughts are:

Rythmik L12 sub ($560)

Might be worth it to consider an active setup, too. The two setups I would recommend:
* This subwoofer, a $150-200 crossover (either MiniDSP or a cheap Behringer unit like the Ultra-Curve or the CX2310, with a subwoofer output), leaving you with with $1250 for active monitors like the Dynaudio LYD 5 or the Genelec 8030C/Neumann KH120A if you stretch it a little, both having examplary Klippel NFS measurements available here. You also have the much cheaper Kali LP6 having good performances, even if the general quality goes down with the price.
* Something like the $399 JBL LSR310S or $599 Kali WS-12 simplifying everything and leaving you with even more money to spend.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you considered the Yamaha WXA-50? It seems a bit more powerful and cleaner than the ELAC DS-A101, reading its specs.

For the subs I can't help but reading around here it looks like the best way to go is for two cheap than an expansive one.

And in my opinion the Focals are good but it is a bad pricing considering that you can have them for less than 600euros/pair (which here makes them a must have).
The wxa-50 does not crossover the mains properly when used with a sub

Tatteredmidnight

Might be worth it to consider an active setup, too. The two setups I would recommend:
* This subwoofer, a $150-200 crossover (either MiniDSP or a cheap Behringer unit like the Ultra-Curve or the CX2310, with a subwoofer output), leaving you with with $1250 for active monitors like the Dynaudio LYD 5 or the Genelec 8030C/Neumann KH120A if you stretch it a little, both having examplary Klippel NFS measurements available here. You also have the much cheaper Kali LP6 having good performances, even if the general quality goes down with the price.
* Something like the $399 JBL LSR310S or $599 Kali WS-12 simplifying everything and leaving you with even more money to spend.
I had a setup like this, using ADAM A7x’s with the CX2310, worked great until the crossover failed active and scared the heck out of me. Still might replace it, it sounded fantastic. Also went with a much cheaper sub, wouldn’t do that again.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
IIRC you can find the Focals on sale if you know where to look. I'd look for a different amp.

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Thanks - any specific amp suggestions?

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Also, I’ve not heard them but the NHT C3 are also intriguing to me.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaker to listening position will be ~9 feet. Room is probably 10 x 20 in size, speakers positioned on the long wall. Sitting on a couch which is against the opposite wall.

Sources will be TV, CD player. Would also like Bluetooth or WiFi.
I'd like to suggest an active setup:
  • For this distance the hiss should not matter so the JBL LSR305 or 308 with accompanying sub (1 or 2 JBL LSR310) should do well. This leaves enough money for a DAC with Blutooth. Even an RME ADI-2 DAC may not stretch the budget. It has no Blutooth but an EQ which will be very helpful regarding the fact that the speakers are close to the wall and the listening position as well. The resulting boomy bass I think cannot be fixed with the tone controls of the speakers alone.
  • If hiss is a problem a pair of Neumann KH120 or Genelec 8030C with the same sub is still in financial range and should sound better but leaves less money for the DAC. There is a very good DAC with balanced outputs for $200 but no Wifi or Blutooth if I remember correctly. No EQ though ...

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Hi All,

Thank you for the comments and suggestions.

Unfortunately, I would like to steer clear of an active setup. I find the options intriguing, but there is a spousal acceptance factor issue with some of them. Plus, it is hard to see how I could make the wiring acceptably uncluttered appearing without hiring an electrician, and I'm not ready for that commitment.

I have been investigating some deals and double checking the budget, and I think I can increase the budget slightly.

My inclination is to put the additional money into the speakers. With some intensive shopping, the revel performa3 bookshelves are within striking distance.

Curious if anyone thinks it would be better to upgrade the amplification instead.

My thinking is that the room and the speakers are the primary drivers of the sound quality. The elac amp is probably not the best quality option, but I think it will meet my spl needs (don't listen loud) . It has sufficient inputs, and the sub integration/room correction is very appealing in a single box design.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My thinking is that the room and the speakers are the primary drivers of the sound quality. The elac amp is probably not the best quality option, but I think it will meet my spl needs (don't listen loud) . It has sufficient inputs, and the sub integration/room correction is very appealing in a single box design.

I bolded the most important part of your post. Congratulations, you have figured out before you started what it takes some audio enthusiasts years or decades to figure out, and some never do.

The ELAC unit will sound good, its only limitation being power if you turn it up really loud and you have said you don't do that. The fact that it has DSP is really great, as you will be able to equalize for the bass modes in your room as well as the extra reinforcement by having your speakers close to the wall. Combined with either the Focals or Revels, you will have an absolutely wonderful sounding system, regardless of price, that is extremely high on the price versus performance curve. Go pick your speakers, pay attention to your setup and dial in, and enjoy.

Top Bottom