• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me spend $500

krips

Hi guys. I'm looking to spend $500 on a seperate amp/dac, or combination unit. I'm not sure if there is something out there in this price range or not with these features:
-PEQ
-Can switch between speakers (line out - maybe balanced?) and headphones

Right now I have some 6XX cans if that matters. Thanks.

staticV3

Master Contributor
There's only one desktop DAC+Amp with built-in PEQ that I know of: the RME ADI-2 DAC FS.
However, it is limited to five PEQ bands and costs $1K.

Consider the Qudelix 5K instead. It has 10 band PEQ, can be used either as a Bluetooth adapter with the built-in battery, or as a USB DAC. You can directly load in every AutoEQ preset and the 2.5mm balanced headphone jack is good for 4Vrms -> 117dB SPL with the 6XX.
Screenshot_20220417-104100_Sheets.jpg

OP
K

krips

IIRC I should be able to get the RME at dealer cost...so if the markup on that unit is high it may be in budget. I'll have to do some research on the unit.
Thanks for the Zen link...however it appears to be about double cost here in canada :(

OP
K

krips

Ordered a JDS Atom stack. I'll have to figure out PEQ later somehow. Thanks guys.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Ordered a JDS Atom stack. I'll have to figure out PEQ later somehow. Thanks guys.
If your source is a computer, PEQ is easy. I use APO, it's free, it does everything I need. My audio files are on a perma-flash drive [very small footprint, 512 gb storage] routed into my Toping E/L 30 combo to 6XX 'phones. Very nice.

jeffbook

If your source is a computer, PEQ is easy. I use APO, it's free, it does everything I need. My audio files are on a perma-flash drive [very small footprint, 512 gb storage] routed into my Toping E/L 30 combo to 6XX 'phones. Very nice.
Good move on the JDS stack.

If you are using a Windows computer as a streaming device you might want to look into Foobr2000 as a music player with the MathAudio Headphone EQ plug in to handle the PEQ for your 6XX cans. MathAudio is free when using Foobar2000 and is very effective. There is lots of information available for EQ'ing the 6XX. You are bound to find something that works well for you.

OP
K

krips

Well my amp / dac order came super fast from JDS! Customs charged me $30 to bring it into canada. On top of the fairly expensive shipping I'm not sure it was worth it, but oh well it is here now. I got the "upgraded" machined knob but I can't get it to sit square on the shaft so I just ended up using the stock one. I added 8oz of weight to the amp and dac each (doubling of stock weight), so now the stack is 32oz. Just right IMO.
Added peace and used Amir's HD650 EQ presets. I'm a happy camper!

Top Bottom