• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me pick my first Headphone Amp/Desktop setup

Jameyhaz

First thing I want to mention is I'm more of a Home Audiophile and I'm dipping my toes in the headphone game. My current desktop setup is a desktop PC USB to Micca OriGen+. The OriGen then pre-amps out to a Carver home amp via 3.5mm output. The Carver is powering some Montior Audios. I simply use the switch on the OriGen+ to toggle between the heaphones & home amp. I recently purchased some Sennheiser Jubilees. Not the best, but still dipping my toe.

So here we are. Decision time. I really like the THX 789 amps based on reviews but see they don't have pre-amp out, but simply pass-through. I really like the idea of a lot of power with headroom. I don't listen to my headphones loudly because it's triggers my tinnitus. So I want some dynamics with lower volume (If that makes sense). I would like to keep the budget around $500 or less. I've looked at the Monolith by Monoprice 788 with LCD screen because it has the power & pre-amp BUT I've heard a lot of people complain about having to fumble through the menu to toggle the pre-amp output. I'm not 100% sold on anything and have researched pretty hard for about a week for a good solution. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or solutions.

OP
J

Jameyhaz

Jds atom dac and amp stack. Job done.
Jds atom dac and amp stack. Job done.
Thank you for the reply. I’m researching the Spark/DAC combo now.
In your opinion, what would it take me to purchase to get the THX 789 to work with my home amplifier? A DAC with preamp outputs and keep the 789 turned off while using the DAC with the home amp?

Bob-23

First thing I want to mention is I'm more of a Home Audiophile and I'm dipping my toes in the headphone game. My current desktop setup is a desktop PC USB to Micca OriGen+. The OriGen then pre-amps out to a Carver home amp via 3.5mm output. The Carver is powering some Montior Audios. I simply use the switch on the OriGen+ to toggle between the heaphones & home amp. I recently purchased some Sennheiser Jubilees. Not the best, but still dipping my toe.

So here we are. Decision time. I really like the THX 789 amps based on reviews but see they don't have pre-amp out, but simply pass-through. I really like the idea of a lot of power with headroom. I don't listen to my headphones loudly because it's triggers my tinnitus. So I want some dynamics with lower volume (If that makes sense). I would like to keep the budget around $500 or less. I've looked at the Monolith by Monoprice 788 with LCD screen because it has the power & pre-amp BUT I've heard a lot of people complain about having to fumble through the menu to toggle the pre-amp output. I'm not 100% sold on anything and have researched pretty hard for about a week for a good solution. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or solutions.

Jimbob54's recommendation is no doubt a very good one, as such.

But the origin seems to have a good headamp:
"The analog section of the OriGen G2 provides switchable line-level or headphone output, using JRC NJM4556 op amps with two output gain levels of 5.3Vrms and 1.6Vrms. The selectable gain design provides excellent drive capability into any downstream amplifiers with enhanced signal strength, low noise, and low interference. The headphone outputs are similarly powerful, with only 0.5 Ohm output impedance and able to drive 16-600 Ohm headphones."

NJM4556 is a great audio opamp, probably especially made for headamps; 1,6 V output is enough; output impedance can't be better. I'd say, you have already surpassed the point of no audible return, and you won't improve your listening experience. Don't be too impressed by words like 'headroom' - usually you need less of it than you might think.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the reply. I’m researching the Spark/DAC combo now.
In your opinion, what would it take me to purchase to get the THX 789 to work with my home amplifier? A DAC with preamp outputs and keep the 789 turned off while using the DAC with the home amp?

More amp than you need but the 789 has a totally passive RCA pass thru. So cable from dac to 789, same signal out of 789 to amp. Just need an extra set of RCA cables

OP
J

Jameyhaz

I'm sure it will be more than I need, but I'm also trying to somewhat 'future-proof' my decision. I'm pretty sure I'll be heading down the rabbit-hole with more headphones :)

So where do the extra set of RCA cables go?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure it will be more than I need, but I'm also trying to somewhat 'future-proof' my decision. I'm pretty sure I'll be heading down the rabbit-hole with more headphones :)

There are RCA in from your dac, RCA out from 789 to speaker amp. Just find a pic of the back

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JDS Labs Atom will drive 99% of headphones. So likely the only amp you would ever need.

3125b

Major Contributor
The Atom amp still is a good option.
Low noise floor for sensitive headphones (though you might want a DAC with volume control for that due to the channel imbalance at low levels with the analog control of the Atom) and plenty of power for pretty much all common headphones.
I've never even had to use high gain with a good 2Vrms input signal.
If you want to spend more money, get a balanced DAC/amp and not just some boutique brand stuff to make it worth it.

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In addition to the Atom, JDS Labs makes an even better amp called the El Amp II. I have one and love it. My only criticism is in the switching from low to high gain, has to be done with a button on the back. No display to tell you which mode you are in. Curious also, have you looked into the Topping A90 which seems to be right at your price point?

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In addition to the Atom, JDS Labs makes an even better amp called the El Amp II. I have one and love it. My only criticism is in the switching from low to high gain, has to be done with a button on the back. No display to tell you which mode you are in. Curious also, have you looked into the Topping A90 which seems to be right at your price point?

I thought Amir's measurements for the EL Amp II and Atom were pretty similar. Did I miss something?

AudioStudies

I thought Amir's measurements for the EL Amp II and Atom were pretty similar. Did I miss something?
Measurements are similar but I think the El Amp II was slightly better. More important than that for me is that the El Amp II has a metal chassis (the Atom is plastic) and a beautiful, large volume control.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Measurements are similar but I think the El Amp II was slightly better. More important than that for me is that the El Amp II has a metal chassis (the Atom is plastic) and a beautiful, large volume control.

Did you do a double-blind, volume leveled AB test? Otherwise, I don't know how you could be confident in any sound differences.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding is that the two Atom amps both use the same output IC and they also share that IC with the EVGA NU Audio. The Atom is rated at 1 Watt and the El Amp II is rated slightly higher for 1.3 Watts continuous max power. They appear to use the same circuitry although in a slightly different configuration. Can we get a manufacturer to chime in on the differences?
https://jdslabs.com/product/el-amp-ii/
https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-amp/
2019-02-25.23-18-09.2019-02-04.22-40-33.2019-02-04.20-59-57.jds__tEnoHkL.jpg

2019-11-15.16-10-42.el_amp_ii_-_pcb.jpg

Last edited:

AudioStudies

Did you do a double-blind, volume leveled AB test? Otherwise, I don't know how you could be confident in any sound differences.
I don't have an Atom for comparison (blind testing) with El Amp II. It measures slightly better, I don't think I said it sounds better. And once again, I like the metal chassis (rather than plastic) and I love the large, beautiful volume knob.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have an Atom for comparison (blind testing) with El Amp II. It measures slightly better, I don't think I said it sounds better. And once again, I like the metal chassis (rather than plastic) and I love the large, beautiful volume knob.

They measure so similarly, I would describe them as "essentially the same," not considering any aesthetic differences or the choice of volume knob.

AudioStudies

They measure so similarly, I would describe them as "essentially the same," not considering any aesthetic differences or the choice of volume knob.
You are right, but that could be said when comparing many amps in the top tier. It would appear the El Amp II has greater output voltage. Edit = should have said wattage, not voltage.

Last edited:

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are right, but that could be said when comparing many amps in the top tier. It would appear the El Amp II has greater output voltage.

I disagree. See Doodski's recent post. The EL II amp appears to be, at most, a minor revision of the Atom. these two amps are way more similar to each other than they are to anything else.

AudioStudies

I disagree. See Doodski's recent post. The EL II amp appears to be, at most, a minor revision of the Atom. these two amps are way more similar to each other than they are to anything else.
I meant to say Watts, not Volts, Sorry. That is what Doodski said. 1.3 Watts for the El Amp II and 1 Watt for Atom. I agree that these amps are similar to each other.

Top Bottom