• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me pick an endgame IEM

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you try another Harman tuned IEM with higher resolution like the Variations?
You mean ones like Variations without a dedicated sub? Yes. None do sub bass or allow for clean sub bass boosts like the Zero. Also what specifically do you mean when you say higher resolution?

I generally use an Ikko OH10 otherwise.

Blorg

You mean ones like Variations without a dedicated sub?
Variations uses a dedicated DD for the bass. It has great sub-bass, quite a bit better than the Zero IMO. That's the one thing it does best, the issue people have with it is the sharp cut and dip in the mid-bass, the sub-bass is fantastic, and very "clean" and separated.

1678255803946.png

sharock

Does anybody here own both the Variations and TxCZ?

It's basically 10x the price of Truthear here in the UK.:oops:

sharock

I have both. I do think the Variations is better but it's not 10x better, there are huge diminishing returns.
I presume this is comparing out of the box performance? What about once you EQ them to the same target?

Blorg

I presume this is comparing out of the box performance? What about once you EQ them to the same target?
I don't EQ them, I don't think either needs EQ, they are both already very well tuned.

asrUser

You mean ones like Variations without a dedicated sub? Yes. None do sub bass or allow for clean sub bass boosts like the Zero. Also what specifically do you mean when you say higher resolution?
Try the Variations first, before you judge. It could blow your mind and be your new endgame!

Try the Variations first, before you judge. It could blow your mind and be your new endgame!
I used to own it. Wasnt worth the price tag so I sold it. I liked it dont get me wrong but was only slightly better than the mids/highs of my Ikko oh10 and the bass/subbass was worse than the Truthear.

Variations uses a dedicated DD for the bass. It has great sub-bass, quite a bit better than the Zero IMO. That's the one thing it does best, the issue people have with it is the sharp cut and dip in the mid-bass, the sub-bass is fantastic, and very "clean" and separated.

View attachment 270196
Oh I didnt know that. Do you have Moondrops literature anywhere that says its a specific sub DD with an actual sub crossover? I couldnt find it.

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

Ended up with the Empire Ear Odins as my main IEM. I know it's a super overpriced IEM, however the mild V-shape sound signature sounds really fun to me. Really great for music I listen to such as Hip hop, EDM, some rock, etc... Will send in for review when I get back from a trip this month.

Also got the U12t's. Sound great to me as well, but lean a little more neutral than the Empire Ears. A LOT of bass though which is excellent.

Again, these two just match my personal listening preferences. I'm not recommending them, if you are considering them make sure to try them out first. I'm also sure you could EQ an IEM to fit the exact sound signature you are looking for but Im not experienced in EQ, and currently am too busy to learn. Maybe soon :)

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ended up with the Empire Ear Odins as my main IEM. I know it's a super overpriced IEM, however the mild V-shape sound signature sounds really fun to me. Really great for music I listen to such as Hip hop, EDM, some rock, etc... Will send in for review when I get back from a trip this month.

Also got the U12t's. Sound great to me as well, but lean a little more neutral than the Empire Ears. A LOT of bass though which is excellent.

Again, these two just match my personal listening preferences. I'm not recommending them, if you are considering them make sure to try them out first. I'm also sure you could EQ an IEM to fit the exact sound signature you are looking for but Im not experienced in EQ, and currently am too busy to learn. Maybe soon :)

Love the Odin and U12t's as well (both bone stock tuning). Just couldn't stomach the diminishing returns especially coming from my ancient 2018 Andromeda IEM (no eqing as well with mild-U sound close both Odin and U12t).

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best tip I ever had:
Let me see if I can top that. Here, try this : never stop learning.

On a more serious note, food grade silicone means that we can eat the tips?

Shame you can not get the soft and comfortable and the high sound quality at the same time.

Last edited:

TRDK

Let me see if I can top that. Here, try this : never stop learning.

On a more serious note, food grade silicone means that we can eat the tips?

Shame you can not get the soft and comfortable and the high sound quality at the same time.

I don't get your comment. But never mind.

These are probably the smoothest ear tips I have tried. Its relaxed and delicate sound is neither harsh nor strident. Low-end has good body and punch. Midrange has that silky “tube-like” tonality. Upper-registers are fluid and gentle. Soundstage and imaging are average. Very comfortable both in sound and in fitment.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't get your comment. But never mind.
Shame, I thought I was being funny by playing with the two different meanings of the word tip, which translates either as "Spitze" or "Beratung" to German if I am not severely mistaken. But it is never funny of course if you have to explain it - I take full responsibility.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Shame, I thought I was being funny by playing with the two different meanings of the word tip, which translates either as "Spitze" or "Beratung" to German if I am not severely mistaken. But it is never funny of course if you have to explain it - I take full responsibility.
I got it ;-)

sharock

I don't EQ them, I don't think either needs EQ, they are both already very well tuned.
A follow up question, having seen the Variations are on "sale" on Shenzenaudio for $442.

How nicely do the Variations fit in the ear? The Truthears do start to feel a bit sore after a while for me. As others have mentioned, they are a bit big and not that ergonomic.

Top Bottom