• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me pick an endgame IEM

markanini

Major Contributor
Does anyone know a equivalent to the Blessing 2 : Dusks in a custom IEM? Honestly if I could get these in a custom, they'd be my endgame tbh
I would suggest Kanas Pro or Tin T3 plus, both bring more of what you like about the Dusk vs. Monarch and are considered well tuned for a wide range of genres.

Excerpt from Brent Butterworth's review of Tin T3 Plus: "Often when I first use a set of headphones or earphones, I hear some things that seem unusual, and I spend a lot of time trying to figure out whether they’re major flaws, minor flaws I can tolerate, or minor flaws that disappear with a few minutes or hours of use. When I first used the T3 Pluses, I didn’t have to go through this step because I quickly realized I liked them."

EDIT: Sorry missed the custom part. It's rather niche so it's hard to corroborate CIEM performance. May I suggest as an alternative that you try a handful of different universal IEMs, maybe with different tunings. You should find some will have better fit and seal for you as well as sound and might get pretty close to the CIEM advantage after picking out your best set.
graph (1).png

Last edited:

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You could try the Fearless Audio Y2K if you're willing to spend a huge amount of time+effort in learning your ideal tuning. Fearless actually does custom-fit IEMs

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

@gallionetech

endgame often suggest, elevated price or cost. It is often synonymous with no expenses spared or no hold barred ... It is not so in IEM, at least it doesn't seem to be the case:

With IEM , even more than any other transducers, the way the device fits your anatomy, in that case, your ear canals', play a significant role in performance and preferences. And, the interesting thing, it is not price-dependent. You might have seen various IEM suggested to you, most of these may not sound as good , let alone better, than the TCZ. It, the TCZ, defines IMHO the threshold of "endgame", in IEM.. I am willing to say that a bit of EQ transform the TCA in an endgame. It seems to be very close to endgame with no EQ, .. and that at $50.oo. IOW, You may already have your endgame IEM.
Acquire one of those suggested IEM, compare it to the TCZ, no -EQ , try some EQ to the TCZ... Rinse repeat with the suggested IEM...
You are a model enthusiast. One with the passion to learn and, quite importantly the wherewithal to acquire components of excellence and , sometimes elevated prices. This can be a blessing but also a curse... Stick to some excellent equipment for a while, Learn how to get the best out of these. When you are done, you move to the next , better one, if it exists. Objective metrics should be your guide, not price or reputation.

Peace.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You could try the Fearless Audio Y2K if you're willing to spend a huge amount of time+effort in learning your ideal tuning. Fearless actually does custom-fit IEMs
I've got money saying the first thing most people do on acquiring one of these is to dial in smiley face. And love it.

asrUser

In the end speakers = headphones = IEMs

Keith_W

Major Contributor

fearless-audio-y2k-headfonia.png

You mean this thing?

I remember years ago a number of head-fi'ers were sporting ungodly DAP + portable amp + IEM contraptions held together by cable and rubber bands. I always wondered how they travel with such a contraption. Furthermore, it defeats the purpose of an IEM because the only way you could be comfortable with it is to listen to it at home. And if you are home and still need sound isolation, wouldn't a pair of closed back headphones be better? I can imagine trying to travel with this thing, one touch and you would knock all your settings off.

For me, DAP + IEM and make sure your IEM has enough sensitivity to be driven by the DAP.

Elitzur–Vaidman

fearless-audio-y2k-headfonia.png

You mean this thing?

I remember years ago a number of head-fi'ers were sporting ungodly DAP + portable amp + IEM contraptions held together by cable and rubber bands. I always wondered how they travel with such a contraption. Furthermore, it defeats the purpose of an IEM because the only way you could be comfortable with it is to listen to it at home. And if you are home and still need sound isolation, wouldn't a pair of closed back headphones be better? I can imagine trying to travel with this thing, one touch and you would knock all your settings off.

For me, DAP + IEM and make sure your IEM has enough sensitivity to be driven by the DAP.
The way that works is you use the dials to tune the FR of your ideal IEM and then Fearless uses the various dial positions to creat a custom-fit IEM with your desired tuning.

Elitzur–Vaidman

The way that works is you use the dials to tune the FR of your ideal IEM and then Fearless uses the various dial positions to creat a custom-fit IEM with your desired tuning.
Actually, if OP likes the Blessing 2 Dusk he'll probably also enjoy the Fearless x Crinacle Dawn. I don't see any listings for them as a custom fit iem, but I'm pretty confident they'd offer it if you contact them.

markanini

Major Contributor
It raises questions, do they check that that tuning partity is mainstained? It looks challening not change insertion depth. Second, do they check for venting holes staying open? Drilling out holes is prefferable to covering for tuning parity, but that still converting venting holes into venting tubes, some have used that as principal for DIY tuning, but that not the goal here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sou...odding-headphones.694963/page-4#post-14744462

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is not a god solution.
How do they know the quality of the insertion? The repeatability of preferences/taste? Their reliability?
It squarely targets the subjective audiophiles (HEA crowd) able and willing to spend.. a lot.

Peace.

Elitzur–Vaidman

This is not a god solution.
How do they know the quality of the insertion? The repeatability of preferences/taste? Their reliability?
It squarely targets the subjective audiophiles (HEA crowd) able and willing to spend.. a lot.

Peace.
Which is why I followed up and suggested that he see if Fearless would do a custom of their Dawn iem. Crinacle literally used the Y2K to tune the Dawn which is quite close to the Crinacle-tuned Blessing 2 Dusk.

Elitzur–Vaidman

I can't find any measurements of the FR impact, but Fatfreq does iem reshelling, so you could just send in your choice of IEM and they'll put them in a custom-fit iem.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey all,

So my fiancee helped me with a blind listening test today. We both agreed that we liked the Blessing 2 : Dusks better. After comparing them the Monarch MKII's sound almost a little muffled in comparison to the Blessing 2 : Dusks. They both sound good, but after testing both in a blind test I can't justify the price tag. My fiancee asked me to order a second pair of Blessing 2 : Dusks because she likes them so much.

I'm going to return them and keep the Blessing 2 : Dusks as my main IEM for now. Unless anyone has any suggestions :D
Thanks a lot for posting this. As an owner of the Dusk I love it, and was dreaming about one day upgrading to the Monarch Mk 2 just like you did. I guess that helps me keeping satisfied with the Dusk in the long term. Plus I like the design a lot, more that the Monarch Mk 2. My wallet also thanks you.

Blorg

$1000-earphones and they can't even get the polarity right (yes this is audible).

View attachment 260656
Many can't hear absolute polarity, I can't. Worth noting the Moondrop hybrids (Blessing 2, Dusk, Variations) have the same stock (reversed) polarity. Their single driver dynamics like the Kato have normal polarity. You can switch it simply by reversing the cable (you'd want one without earhooks to do this) so even if it is an issue for you (I know some can hear it) I don't think it's a dealbreaker.

Blorg

@gallionetech Variations is particularly close to Harman, even more so than the Dusk. In particular it is one of the very few IEMs that actually follow Harman with the mid-bass/lower mids tuck.

1677483310258.png

Personally I'm not sure this is actually preferable to the way the Dusk does it with a smoother glide and slatter and I think the Dusk tuning is a better all rounder.

The Variations works very well for some genres particularly electronic music with a lot of sub-bass as it has a huge sub-bass boost but keeps it very clean and not leaking into the mids. It's much worse with rock music or other music with little sub-bass where it can sound thin and lean. It's not a disaster even there, I find it a good IEM for anything. But for rock, I'd pick the Dusk over it, it's better.

Subjectively, I don't find the recess relative to Harman after 3kHz is a problem, I prefer something does that, this makes it less harsh for me.

Subjectively, the Variations has better high treble than the Dusk, that's the one thing it's definitively better at.

Overall, I think I do think the Variations is the better IEM, despite thinking the Dusk is a better all-round tuning. They are very close though. I also prefer the Monarch Mk2 over the Dusk, and you don't, so there's that. The Dusk is already phenomenal for the price

I have the Moondrop A8 as well, I don't think it's necessarily better and I wouldn't recommend it over the Variations, or possibly even the Dusk. It is a very good IEM and I think it also has better treble than the Dusk. The rest, I think I'd take the Dusk (or the Variations). The A8 is an unvented all-BA set which means very good isolation but it also means it generates a sort of vacuum "sucking" effect on your ear and it's much trickier to get a good fit with a consistent frequency response.

markanini

Major Contributor
Subjectively, I don't find the recess relative to Harman after 3kHz is a problem, I prefer something does that, this makes it less harsh for me.
This was the outcome of the original In-ear studies. The curve that's commonly referred to as Harman IE 2019 is actually created by Listen Inc, a company that makes audio testing equipment.
Screenshot 2023-02-27 115142.png

Top Bottom