• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me pick an endgame IEM

gallionetech

Hey all,

I recently purchased the Truthear Crinacles & the Moondrop Blessing 2 : Dusks. I'm very happy with both of them, however I'm looking for an endgame IEM.

My goal is to get as close as i possibly can to my experience with the DCA Expanse in an IEM.

After some research, I'm leaning towards the ThieAudio Monarch Mk2. However I'm also considering:

- Softears RS10 (Hesitant, pretty much every review says they have a “lifeless” sound)
- 64 Audio U18t
- 64 Audio U12t
- Empire Ears Odin (I know these are a bit snake oily, but they can be custom and Crinacle gave them a pretty good rating)
- Sony IER-Z1R (just not a huge fan of Sony’s sound signature)
- Open to any suggestions

Criteria:

- Maximum isolation (preferably custom)
- Removable cables is a must, but type (mmcx, 2pin, etc) does not matter
- Needs to have deep bass
- Objectively performant without being "dry" sounding.

I made an appointment to get impressions done at my local Audiologist next week. However I’m fine with either custom or universal.

Let me know what you personally would pick. Doesn't have to be one of the options i mentioned above, I'm considering all options.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Feels like a hype list that doesn't seem to follow much of the linear harman response that amir praises... I'd look for a more pro-subjective forum (head-fi and co) to convince you on your splurge :)

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

Feels like a hype list that doesn't seem to follow much of the linear harman response that amir praises... I'd look for a more pro-subjective forum (head-fi and co) to convince you on your splurge :)
I came to these options based off Crinacle's top list as his listening preferences seem to line up with mine. I definitely want something that objectively performant though. Looking for opinions here as everything i've been recommended so far off this forum sounds fantastic :)

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

Crinacle is no less susceptible to pricing (and other subconscious cognitive) biases than anyone else.
I don't disagree

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey all,

I recently purchased the Truthear Crinacles & the Moondrop Blessing 2 : Dusks. I'm very happy with both of them, however I'm looking for an endgame IEM.

After some research, I'm leaning towards the ThieAudio Monarch Mk2. However I'm also considering:
- 64 Audio U18t (Guessing these are similar to the U12t so probably a no go)
- 64 Audio U12t (Update: Found Amir's review - these look bad for the price and I'm no longer considering them.)
- Empire Ears Odin
- Sony IER-Z1R

I don't really want to go custom, as I need these for a flight early next month and don't have much time to get to the Audiologist to get impressions done.

Let me know what you personally would pick. Doesn't have to be one of the options i mentioned above, I'm considering all options.

Thanks in advance!

Planars generally have lower distortion compared to BA or DD drivers. I'd suggest Campfire Audio Supermoon if you want a custom endgame IEM. It's planar like the DCA Expanse and should complement that experience on the go

FlyingFreak

IMO I would slow down the search for end game stuffs. It does take time to get to know both the market and what to listen to when trying new gears. Going (too) fast will probably scratch the consumer itch but not get you to end game gears.

Having said that, way back when I ended up with a pair of Westone iem. The rational at the time was they where a brand trusted by musicians and other pro audio peeps and I thought if that's good enough for them, it must be good enough for me. When I lost them I didn't even think, just ordered a replacement pair. They are super solid, sounds good, that s enough. No idea how they measure though, I only use them on airplanes and other noisy environments, hardly critical listening places.

IEMs are definitely THE best thing to have on a airplane. I tried active noise reduction headphones, the pressure it creates give me headache. IEMs stays in for the entire flight, great earplugs.

Good luck finding The One!

GaryH

Major Contributor
Planars generally have lower distortion compared to BA or DD drivers.
graph (9).png

confucius_zero

Honestly, at that price, just travel to the iem store in asia (any would do lol Seoul, Tokyo are great iem spots) and try everything.

Attachments

• 52511735268_3cbde8758b_k.jpg
    52511735268_3cbde8758b_k.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 204
  • 52511456344_fe39405b58_k.jpg
    52511456344_fe39405b58_k.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 199

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR. I don't know how it ranks but Crinacle's own Truthear X Crinacle Zero was very favorably reviewed by Amir. It conformed almost perfectly to the Harman curve, and only costs $49 on Amazon. Beyond conformity to the Harman curve and low distortion, I know of no other significant measures of IEM quality, but perhaps someone here could suggest one. Anyway, I'm thinking about picking up a pair myself along with an E1da 9038D6K for when I'm OTG. Seems like something that should sound good while not being so dear in cost, I'd jump off a bridge if they were lost or stolen.

Edit: I see you already own the Truthears and your listening experience lines up the the objective data, so good. Best of luck with your pursuit of something a little more high end.

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

Welcome to ASR. I don't know how it ranks but Crinacle's own Truthear X Crinacle Zero was very favorably reviewed by Amir. It conformed almost perfectly to the Harman curve, and only costs $49 on Amazon. Beyond conformity to the Harman curve and low distortion, I know of no other significant measures of IEM quality, but perhaps someone here could suggest one. Anyway, I'm thinking about picking up a pair myself along with an E1da 9038D6K for when I'm OTG. Seems like something that should sound good while not being so dear in cost, I'd jump off a bridge if they were lost or stolen.
Already have them, don't get me wrong i like them a lot. There's no way you can go wrong for the $50. I'm looking to get the closest possible experience I can get to DCA Expanse/Stealth in an IEM. I want to have an "endgame" IEM to pair with my "endgame" headphones.

I ordered the DCA Stealth for when im OTG but don't need super portability like an IEM, and I have the DCA Expanse for when i'm home. All i'm missing is an IEM :)

confucius_zero

I want to have an "endgame" IEM to pair with my "endgame" headphones.
if you're into paying for complications (I prefer the Moondrop KATO over moondrop Blessing2, variations and Illumination), softears rs10, moondrop variations, softears twilight...

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

if you're into paying for complications (I prefer the Moondrop KATO over moondrop Blessing2, variations and Illumination), softears rs10, moondrop variations, softears twilight...
Thanks! the Softears RS10's look really close to harman. Definitely going to consider those. Going to also get a pair of the KATO's to try those out.

Im also seeing that ThieAudio Monarch Mk2 is really close to the harman curve as well

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

EQ your Truthear x Crinacle Zero or Moondrop Blessing 2 : Dusk to your liking.
And that's the end of the game;)
they already sound as good as there going to get imo. Nothing wrong with them, just looking for something with more drivers, etc. that sounds great

julian_hughes

they already sound as good as there going to get imo. Nothing wrong with them, just looking for something with more drivers, etc. that sounds great
Speaking from experience: the thing that happens with IEMs with more drivers is that one of those moaaaar drivers fails. You say you seek "endgame" but you don't mention use case. Do you require maximum isolation? Moderate isolation? Or maybe you could be happy with semi-open backed IEMs? Or it doesn't matter? And how about fit? Do you want something that can fit under hats and helmets or that you can sleep in, or is it fine to have something which protrudes like the bolts in Frankenstein's neck? Do you need removable cables or removable cables of a particular type i.e. mmcx or 2-pin 0.78 etc? It sounds to me like you already have IEMs which are as good as it gets in terms of sound quality, so what do think is missing?

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

Speaking from experience: the thing that happens with IEMs with more drivers is that one of those moaaaar drivers fails. You say you seek "endgame" but you don't mention use case. Do you require maximum isolation? Moderate isolation? Or maybe you could be happy with semi-open backed IEMs? Or it doesn't matter? And how about fit? Do you want something that can fit under hats and helmets or that you can sleep in, or is it fine to have something which protrudes like the bolts in Frankenstein's neck? Do you need removable cables or removable cables of a particular type i.e. mmcx or 2-pin 0.78 etc? It sounds to me like you already have IEMs which are as good as it gets in terms of sound quality, so what do think is missing?

Thanks for the feedback, this would be my criteria:

- Maximum isolation (preferably custom)
- Fit doesn't matter to me
- Removable cables is a must, but type (mmcx, 2pin, etc) does not matter
- Needs to have deep bass
- Objectively performant without being "dry" sounding.

Top Bottom