• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help Me Pick a DAP/Phone

Hello there.

I currently have an S7 Edge Snapdragon but I've read only the Exynos versions have a good DAC so looking for a DAP or a second hand phone to music. I don't prefer an external DAC as my pockets are already very crowded(no they're important stuff, can't put away some of them) and really don't want to put another thing on top of a new phone/DAP and IEM. I came across LG V60 several times and it's very cheap around here so it is a choice but would like to hear more options.

For DAPs I came across some Walkman models and FiiO's. But those models were either high end or just devices to hold music while real work is to be done by an external DAC. Sony would be my to go brand but there were some unpleasant comments about some recent products. So I'm open to Sony or any other brand DAP suggestions around 300-400 USD. Will be used to drive IE400 Pro or B2D as I have not decided yet.

Edit: I've read some DAP's could also double as DAC's, if there are any solutions within my price range it'd be a great bonus as I'd be able to use with 2.1's in home.

Last edited:

MTBDoc

So I decided I wanted a dedicated music player rather than task my phone, and chose to pick up a Hidizs AP80 Pro-X via Linsoul in late January. It took a few weeks to get here (Chinese New Year, I suppose) and it proved serviceable… until the right channel dropped out 2 weeks ago. Since then I have received endless runaround from Linsoul. Between insulting questions like how do I know it’s broken, to demanding I shoot MULTIPLE VIDEOS demonstrating headsets & the lack of sound on one side! Then they wanted videos of me UNPLUGGING & PLUGGING the wires, and I told them I was done with their silly games. I mentioned my CC company, & then they decided they had enough info. THEN tell me to do a factory reset …

Get the picture? Now I get an email saying I am responsible for shipping TO CHINA & they will decide if there is a defect. Enough! I filed a complaint with my CC company.

Last week while missing the music, I went on EBay & picked up the last (from a particular vendor, there is another but with many complaints) LG G7 which is the same internally as the V60 but just a smaller & cheaper screen … a used STORE DEMO. $30, they don’t have a cellular modem in them & have some wonky factory software that is hard to get rid of. Basically it only charges to 50% while turned on, to preserve the battery in demo mode. But turn it off & it charges to 100%.

I spent $7 for UAPP (although it appears it may not even be necessary) and $8 for a case on Amazon => the only thing I don’t like is the size. Sounds awesome, battery life is superb.

I had initially planned to send the AP80 to Amir for testing but then didn’t hear back. Just as well, I suppose. I would add that there is no case or protector with it (the previous models had a silicone sleeve) and the factory leather case isn’t available. It got knocked around in my pocket from keys & such. It was a bright blue so the anodizing getting scuffed is noticeable.

It also would have benefitted from something like a “clip” carrier, but there is nothing available.

I’m not sure if there is an issue with the manufacturer as I bought it through Linsoul, it is them giving me the runaround. Still, the rapid failure doesn’t inspire confidence in the product, and I would not have knowingly purchased something requiring my sending it to China.

One advantage of the LG demo is that I KNOW it isn’t adding any RF to me, being a “fake” phone. I do wish the software could be cleaned up easily. I did make some changes via adb on Linux, but there is thread from folks trying to make it an ITouch-type device but have bricked them!

OP
F
Would you consider wireless IEM's or headphones?
Not a big fan of wireless. I usually forget charging stuff and also have a kitten so small things she can eat or poke into some unknown corner are not viable for me :)

So I decided I wanted a dedicated music player rather than task my phone, and chose to pick up a Hidizs AP80 Pro-X via Linsoul in late January. It took a few weeks to get here (Chinese New Year, I suppose) and it proved serviceable… until the right channel dropped out 2 weeks ago. Since then I have received endless runaround from Linsoul. Between insulting questions like how do I know it’s broken, to demanding I shoot MULTIPLE VIDEOS demonstrating headsets & the lack of sound on one side! Then they wanted videos of me UNPLUGGING & PLUGGING the wires, and I told them I was done with their silly games. I mentioned my CC company, & then they decided they had enough info. THEN tell me to do a factory reset …

Get the picture? Now I get an email saying I am responsible for shipping TO CHINA & they will decide if there is a defect. Enough! I filed a complaint with my CC company.

Last week while missing the music, I went on EBay & picked up the last (from a particular vendor, there is another but with many complaints) LG G7 which is the same internally as the V60 but just a smaller & cheaper screen … a used STORE DEMO. $30, they don’t have a cellular modem in them & have some wonky factory software that is hard to get rid of. Basically it only charges to 50% while turned on, to preserve the battery in demo mode. But turn it off & it charges to 100%.

I’m not sure if there is an issue with the manufacturer as I bought it through Linsoul, it is them giving me the runaround. Still, the rapid failure doesn’t inspire confidence in the product, and I would not have knowingly purchased something requiring my sending it to China.
Well that's a big concern for me and kinda what I had in mind.. Stuff I can get from Amazon or locally is neat for me as Amazon is just one of the best for these problematic situations and our customer protection laws are very good in this regard. I'd be giving up both if I buy from China and not to mention extraorbitant shipping and customs fees.

Top Bottom