• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me find a sound system for under $2k

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also have a pair of HE-560 bought 4-5 years ago (dunno the version). They’re better than the soundbar but don’t give me the chill either.

Won't help for using with your TV for watching movies. But if you have a powerful headphone amp, the HE560 can take a lot of bass boost without distorting the bass. You can make them a fun sounding headphone.

OP
FlyingFreak

FlyingFreak

Won't help for using with your TV for watching movies. But if you have a powerful headphone amp, the HE560 can take a lot of bass boost without distorting the bass. You can make them a fun sounding headphone.
Any recommendations? Upgrading my headphones experience sounds easier, even though I had no luck with the equipment I tried so far.
The tv has an optic out. No idea if it’s ‘clean’ nor if that really is a thing.

OP
FlyingFreak

FlyingFreak

Just remember there is little point auditioning speakers without room correction, as you’ll mostly be auditioning your room.
Ok, thanks for the reminder.
So first looking into this room correction business. Should keep me busy for a minute.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any recommendations? Upgrading my headphones experience sounds easier, even though I had no luck with the equipment I tried so far.
The tv has an optic out. No idea if it’s ‘clean’ nor if that really is a thing.

I don't know how you would EQ headphones with a TV without spending a lot of money.

I use Equalizer APO with Peace GUI on my PC to do it.

Maybe you could find a used Monoprice THX 788. It has built-in parametric EQ.

OP
FlyingFreak

FlyingFreak

Ok, time for an (last?) update:

Wife and I aren’t sure we’re going to stay here for more than a year. This makes the idea of buying a sound system of that price crazy considering my finance.

on top of that, the configuration of the living room makes it really difficult to imagine putting speakers anywhere. I think I have to put my dream on pause for a while longer and learn to make do with a soundbar. Being reasonable sucks.

Speaking of being reasonable, this opens up a budget for upgrading my headphones set up. After reading more about the HE 560 and it’s need for power I’m again curious to try an amp. If it doesn’t do anything for me, which I’m expecting, I’ll look into a new pair headphones. I’ll reappear in the headphones section after grieving my hifi dreams.

Thanks again for all you guys inputs! Much appreciated.

Top Bottom