• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me find a new receiver for my apartment!

Robonaut

I just moved out of a house and into an apartment. Since I don't think my neighbors will appreciate me listening to Black Hawk Down at reference level at 6 AM (I'm an early riser), I've resigned myself to the fact that I will have to be doing a lot of headphone listening.

I have Klipsch T5 II wireless earbuds that I will probably be doing most of that headphone listening on. Unfortunately, my ancient Onkyo receiver doesn't support Bluetooth. I got an Aventree Orbit to try and get around that, but, since the Onkyo can't output audio over HDMI and optical digital at the same time, the Orbit is somewhat limited in its usefulness.

So, I think it's time for a new receiver.

Here is what I think I need, features wise:

--Low-latency Bluetooth audio connection to my Klipsch earbuds. (I think that the aptX codex is the best for this?)

--The ability to output audio over HDMI and digital optical simultaneously. Well, I suppose I could live with being able to output audio over HDMI or digital optical as long as it was easy to switch between the two. (This is important because it will make the Orbit much more useful. The Orbit can play audio over two wireless headsets at the same time, which I don't think any receiver can currently do. Great for when a friend comes over.)

--I have both an Xbox Series X and a PS5, so I'd like something with at least two HDMI 2.1 inputs that support 4K@120hz.

--I use Genelec powered monitors, so pre-amp outs are essential, and pre-amp outs with XLR jacks would be a nice bonus.

--A nice to have feature would be the ability to hook up an external hard drive via USB and play my music collection.

--While I obviously want something that sounds good, I'm willing to compromise a bit on sound quality for a unit with the features I need.

--I'd like to keep the cost under $2K, but I could stretch to more than that if there is some spectacular unit out there.

Any recommendations?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
HDMI 2.1 is 8K60 or 4K120. Without HDMI 2.1 you'd top at 4K60 and lose ALLM, VRR, QFT, and QMS.
The Denon AVRs, that have the single HDMI 2.1 port, do allow stuff like VRR and ALLM on the HDMI 2.0 ports though.

Another option would be to get a TV with 2 of HDMI 2.1 ports. Then you'd connect the devices to your TV and then use eARC to get the lossless audio back to an AVR.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Everyone making a big deal about this, but are the consoles really going to be able to push 4K120? I doubt it and what else would need that? Last gen they struggled pushing 1080p60

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
How can anyone not like BHD, regardless of the time of day?!?

OP
R

Robonaut

After looking at the manual, it also looks like the X3700H does not have a digital optical output, correct? That's a bit of a bummer, since it means I can't use it with the Orbit.

AlexanderM

This unit is about $3500 in Canada, can't believe the price in the link ($1499), don't know if it has what you're looking for, worth a look. Took a look, it does not have 8K or optical out.

Last edited:

Putter

Forum Donor
While it may not be an ultimate solution you might consider a bluetooth transmitter.
A quick glance at the Amazon site shows many available for < $100

NirreFirre

Forum Donor
I think you should watch John's latest wrap up, look up the more specific videos he has put up on the brands you find interesting (for example, Integra, Pioneer and Onkyo's latest have BT aptX+aptX HD streaming to your headphones). The comparisons start around the 5m mark:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I don't really understand question? You want a separate box which can transmit BT (QC bulshit LL APTx, those don't even support APTx HD)? Take a look at DAC's with optical input for a TV which can be used as transmiter (with arguably QC BT SoC).
If you really want (must) to go that way buy both deacent transmiter and receiver (insist on LDAC) and still wired hedaphones.

Edit: just APTx
And LDAC one:
Those are just for example.

Last edited:
Top Bottom