• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me determine 2.1 speaker placement in a new small room intended for single person use

MeZoX

I have a very small room in the roof of my new house , its rectangular shape 1.78m x 2.2m
I have 2xKRK G4 8" and KRK 10'' subwoofer
I want to place a 55" OLED screen between the speakers on the 1.78m side of the room , the speakers would be a bit further up from the screen and a bit angled in toward the monitor , it wont affect screen visibility as there would be a recliner right in the middle of the room and this room is intended just for single person use

would it sound terrible because of the small room ? i am open to any suggestions to better utilize this room

Attachments

• photo_2023-01-08_18-00-16.jpg
    photo_2023-01-08_18-00-16.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 113
OP
MeZoX

MeZoX

need help with suggestions please , I am in the process of furnishing the house so i can still make modifications to the room before painting and electrical fittings are done

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can definitely make it sound decent. I would consider acoustic treatment - a plush rug and ideally something on the back wall and maybe even side walls too.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
This is going to be a real tight fit. A 55" 16:9 TV is at least 1.21 m wide, and each RP8G4 is 0.266 m wide, not accounting for toe-in or the acoustic treatment on the side walls. Wall-mounting the speakers above or below the screen is definitely going to be your best bet. Side walls are going to require heavy acoustic treatment, and the windows should get thick curtains. I would place my seating position right between windows 1 and 2.

It's still the better option vs. the long side to the left, which would place you directly opposite from the windows. I don't think that would be very easy to get under control.

OP
MeZoX

MeZoX

This is going to be a real tight fit. A 55" 16:9 TV is at least 1.21 m wide, and each RP8G4 is 0.266 m wide, not accounting for toe-in or the acoustic treatment on the side walls. Wall-mounting the speakers above or below the screen is definitely going to be your best bet. Side walls are going to require heavy acoustic treatment, and the windows should get thick curtains. I would place my seating position right between windows 1 and 2.

It's still the better option vs. the long side to the left, which would place you directly opposite from the windows. I don't think that would be very easy to get under control.
yeah sadly thats the only little space i can get to be fully mine lol

i was thinking the same thing about how a tight fit it would be ,i am thinking about mounting it above the TV m its a little challenging to find bookshelf wall mounts that allow for an incline toward the floor since the krk G4's don't have a mounting screw

what kind of acoustic treatment would you suggest for the side walls , and to which areas specifically ?

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Something like the rockwool panels from GIK.

Andretti60

Are you sure about your measurements?
According to them the room is almost square (width to length ratio is 0.8) but from the picture you posted it looks much more narrow than that.

As other suggested, you’ll need some acoustic treatment starting with a rag on the floor and heavy curtains in front of the windows (that you’ll need anyway to watch the tv). Consider also wallpaper instead of just wall paint (it helped a lot in my small bedroom when I was a teen living with my parents)

OP
MeZoX

MeZoX

Are you sure about your measurements?
According to them the room is almost square (width to length ratio is 0.8) but from the picture you posted it looks much more narrow than that.

As other suggested, you’ll need some acoustic treatment starting with a rag on the floor and heavy curtains in front of the windows (that you’ll need anyway to watch the tv). Consider also wallpaper instead of just wall paint (it helped a lot in my small bedroom when I was a teen living with my parents)
yeah its just the wide angle lens that's causing the the side walls to appear more stretched I think

Top Bottom