• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me decide on a new studio monitor Focal vs barefoot 02?

echo44

Hi
I have a medium room 12' x14'
I use my monitors 30% mixing 35% listening 35%as a monitor for my electronic instruments/keyboards
I had a pair of Adam A7 and was looking to upgrade as there seemed to be a lack of detail. Then last night a woofer died
now there is a lack of bass :)

I do not have anywhere close to listen to prospective monitors. I do buy from Vintage King and Sweetwater so I could return yet I am hoping to get a start toward making the right choice utilizing the knowledge and experience of you people .

Here is what I have been looking at so far
Focal shape 65
Focal 6be solo
Barefoot 02
PMC result 6.5
Adam Ax7

My thoughts
Focal Shape 65 lower cost, tight bass compared to other focal? less detail than 6be?
Focal 6be more clarity. ? too much midrange bump? At the end of the road in the product cycle?
Barefoot 02 DSP? More flavored sound but maybe good for listening and playing instruments? (less fatigue)
Adam ax7 good speaker for the cost would sound slightly better than my A7, rumor these are discontinued?
PMC result 6.5 do not know much about but have heard great things about more expensive offerings from this company

I think if I went with either Focal I would add a subwoofer

Any thoughts?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Focal Shape 65 lower cost, tight bass compared to other focal? less detail than 6be?
Solid speakers, I used to own a pair. Barely any bottom end to speak of. You will need a sub.
Focal 6be more clarity. ? too much midrange bump? At the end of the road in the product cycle?
Better than the Shape 65s. Still not much low end.
Barefoot 02 DSP? More flavored sound but maybe good for listening and playing instruments? (less fatigue)
Not sure I'd recommend these; I owned the FP01s and got rid of them pretty quick for the fatiguing upper mids and bloated low end.
Adam ax7 good speaker for the cost would sound slightly better than my A7, rumor these are discontinued?
Ew no, terrible speakers.
PMC result 6.5 do not know much about but have heard great things about more expensive offerings from this company
Skip PMC.

What's your budget? I'm guessing up to about 3,000/pr?

Top Bottom