Which free DRC software do you consider better than Dirac?well, you don't have to pay for Dirac with a Raspery Pi. there is free (and better) DRC software for Linux. but I agree that a MiniDSP is convinient; kind of the Apple of DSP lol
well, you don't have to pay for Dirac with a Raspery Pi. there is free (and better) DRC software for Linux. but I agree that a MiniDSP is convinient; kind of the Apple of DSP lol
I am a new joiner but I have some good insight here as I have all the components being discussed and can compare. For context, I have the following system: My current preferred digital set up is Roon + HQPlayer running through Dirac Live Processor on a Mac Mini into a Holo May KTE DAC (via USB) then through a Naim 282 Preamp with Supercap, and Naim 250 power amp, into Verity Audio Rienzi speakers. What’s that got to do with the OP’s question, you may ask.... Well, I also have an RME ADI2 Pro ADC/DAC that I use mainly for the ADC so I can play vinyl from my turntable through the Dirac set up. And I also have a MiniDSP SHD....that I was previously using for my Dirac processing, prior to switching to the Mac mini set up. Using these various pieces I made a few comparisons:
1. Computer Set Up: Roon —> Dirac Live Processor —> RME ADI2 DAC via USB (note: I removed HQPlayer from this set up)
2. MiniDSP SHD Set Up A: Roon —> Auralic Aries Femto* —> SHD SPDIF input —> SHD Dirac Processor —> RME ADI2 DAC
3. MiniDSP SHD Set Up B: Roon —> SHD internal streamer* —> SHD Dirac Processor —> RME ADI2 DAC
4. MiniDSP SHD Set Up C: Roon —> Auralic Aries Femto* —> SHD SPDIF input —> SHD Dirac Processor —> SHD DAC
5. MiniDSP SHD Set Up D: Roon —> SHD internal streamer* —> SHD Dirac Processor —> SHD DAC
*I don’t have the Bluesound node streamer (although I did own one briefly) and would say from memory that is not as good as the Aries Femto as a streamer but is as good, or maybe slightly better than the SHD’s internal streamer.
In terms of sound quality of the five set ups above, the order is 1>2>3=4>5 A few comments:
- The RME DAC is slightly superior to the SHD’s DAC in terms of timbre and soundstaging (deeper though maybe not quite as wide), although the SHD DAC is no slouch at all considered as part of a multi purpose unit
- The Aries as a streamer is clearly superior to the SHD streamer...smoother and a greater sense of ease and flow, vs a bit more digital /harsh sounding with the SHD streamer. But again, the SHD streamer is fine considering it’s part of a broader package. I do notice (as have others) that’s there are some random pops and clicks with hi res files when using the SHD streamer (a bit like the clicks you get from vinyl....not terrible but they shouldn‘t be there.)
- The Dirac Live Processor in the Mac Mini sounds a bit more open and less boxy than the Dirac processor in the SHD, but again, this is not a massive difference (bear in mind that I had to use different measurement files with each of the Mac version and SHD versions of Dirac as the files are not transferable, so we are not exactly comparing apples with apples, although I was measuring the same speakers, same chair with the same mic etc.) I understand also that the Mac version of Dirac calculates at 192 vs 96 for the SHD box so that may account for a bit of the difference in perceived openness.
So, in summary, the MiniDSP SHD loses just slightly against its competition (in this test) in each of the categories: as a DAC vs the RME ADI 2, as a streamer vs the Aries, and as a Dirac processor vs the Mac version. Having said that, it is still a great sounding box, and although I didn’t buy it to use the DAC or streamer components until recently I was very happy with it using the Dirac processor with the Aries as a streamer. And if something went wrong with my Mac set up I’d be perfectly happy reverting to that.
This was clearly not a highly scientific comparison, but I hope it gives some insight as to the differences between these options.
Have you logged into Spotify on your SHD?For you SHD-savvy folks: I am having issues with Spotify Connect on Volumio with my iPhone (I am a Spotify premium member). I installed both the Spotify plugin the 3rd party Spotify Connect plugin. But I can't get Spotify connect to work - I can only connect over Airplay which is suboptimal. Any troubleshooting recommendations? I did do a power off of the SHD unit. Thanks in advance.
That is such a over exaggeration and general statement to make. What problems did you have? I had excellent response from the Dutch MiniDSP representatieve who send me a new remote free of charge when I still had problems with the old remote giving incorrect repeat commands and I am the second owner. Not that it says it is an excellent company but that it is by far not the worst company.This may be too late but I am changing my tune: miniDSP SHD has the worst support you can find. Kafka style. Do not buy anything from miniDSP! A horrible company. Read the miniDSP SHD thread and see for yourself.
That is such a over exaggeration and general statement to make. What problems did you have? I had excellent response from the Dutch MiniDSP representatieve who send me a new remote free of charge when I still had problems with the old remote giving incorrect repeat commands and I am the second owner. Not that it says it is an excellent company but that it is by far not the worst company.
You also state in your post here that Volumio streamer software and Qobuz skips but that is not entirely MiniDSP company problems, I had simular issues with the Raspberry Pi and Volumio and switched to PiCorePlayer as it is a much nicer streamer.
The problems is that with Volumio, MiniDSP isn't the only party involved. I think that is the reason MiniDSP doesn't include streamer functionality anymore in new products.
Yes, reliability sucks. Just takes one bad experience, I totally understand. My only reliability with miniDSP was a much different experience, they drop shipped me a replacement unit after the one I had failed. Their customer service was prompt, and I had the replacement arrive from overseas in a few days. I wish you were getting the same...I will stop posting about miniDSP as I don't like drama either. However, be advised of their poor product quality and their poor support. Dozen emails, hours spent on something basic as the Ethernet port is dead. As in it the status light doesn't turn on - neither orange nor green. Not an uncommon problem if you read their site. I will peace out - spending too much time on this. Happy for you that your miniDSP is working fine. Enjoy!