• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me decide Genelec 7361a or D&D 8C

Eeyoredave

Currently at a conundrum, trying to decide the 'end game' speaker system, with minimal amount of equipment and fuss, but achieving best sound possible within the budget of circa US$10k. Currently it is narrowed down to D&D 8C and Genelec 8361a. My current system (if you see my other post) is a good performer, but I'd like to reduce number of equipment and make it simpler. Ultimately, I want a system that can play from NAS/Streamer, Apple Music and LP (near future). The desire is for as wide bandwidth as possible in a relatively 'small' package that is domestic friendly, easy to set up and has the most sonic potential. The lead time delivered for both is around 3-4 months.

Where I am now, as I am an expat, the price difference between the two is around 10%, with the Genelec being cheaper. If I were to add GLM, the difference is then around 7-8% or so. So the price is fairly similar, I have read a number of reviews on both and there isn't any one particular sway. I would think that from a streamer (not using Roon) and having a future LP also, that the Genelec would be more useful as it can have both connected at the same time, whereas the D&D will require Roon or to change the XLR connections each time, I think.

Do any forum members have any experience to shed on this, or can share your experiences with both.

[Long term I will feed the digital via AES (iPad and Auralic Aries Mini via USB-AES) and have a phonostage with XLR out]

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Currently at a conundrum, trying to decide the 'end game' speaker system, with minimal amount of equipment and fuss, but achieving best sound possible within the budget of circa US$10k. Currently it is narrowed down to D&D 8C and Genelec 8361a. My current system (if you see my other post) is a good performer, but I'd like to reduce number of equipment and make it simpler. Ultimately, I want a system that can play from NAS/Streamer, Apple Music and LP (near future). The desire is for as wide bandwidth as possible in a relatively 'small' package that is domestic friendly, easy to set up and has the most sonic potential. The lead time delivered for both is around 3-4 months.

Where I am now, as I am an expat, the price difference between the two is around 10%, with the Genelec being cheaper. If I were to add GLM, the difference is then around 7-8% or so. So the price is fairly similar, I have read a number of reviews on both and there isn't any one particular sway. I would think that from a streamer (not using Roon) and having a future LP also, that the Genelec would be more useful as it can have both connected at the same time, whereas the D&D will require Roon or to change the XLR connections each time, I think.

Do any forum members have any experience to shed on this, or can share your experiences with both.

[Long term I will feed the digital via AES (iPad and Auralic Aries Mini via USB-AES) and have a phonostage with XLR out]
I would go with the 8361 just because I know and like the Genelec sound
8C haven't heard in person but they sound good on videos on YouTube (don't know how much it counts)
Anyways I would try to hear at least one of them before I buy If I was you

caught gesture

Forum Donor
For 10K I would be demonstrating them both, preferably side by side. If you can’t arrange a demonstration in your own room which is always ideal, then at the very minimum at a dealer or in a studio.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Both good, as above you need to hear both, you may need to add a sub to the Gens though depending upon intended use.
Keith

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Without a W371 the D&D8C is better in theory.

I’m surprised people still want traditional stereo setups as their end game.

Personally i would build an Atmos Home Theatre or something with that sort of money instead of chasing the last 5% of performance.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Or get the smaller 8351b + sub(s).
I part exchanged some 8351Bs here sitting only 2.5 metres away they sounded ‘small’ when I heard the 8361s at Genelec London we sat further away and they felt big although that was with 2xw371 and a sub.
Keith

OP
Eeyoredave

Eeyoredave

Thanks for the all the replies... Without answering each specifically, where I am there are NO places that I can audition, and with our local lock downs I cannot travel out of the country. So am I crazy to lay down 10k on purely reviews?! That is why I am seeking the wisdom, advice and experience from the forum members!

I prefer to have a simple stereo setup with minimal equipment and therefore no subs. I don't listen to EDM, synth or other types of music with lots of sub 30 Hz music. I'd like it to go down to 20 Hz, but that is really only for the occasional music notes.

Or have I missed alternatives out there? I am ok to spend up to 10k, lower is of course better, but am looking for as minimal components as possible... I did briefly contemplate LS50 Wireless with 2 subs, I think the total is around 5k or so, and even found nearby dealers of Geithain ME803K and PSI Audio A25M.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
If you use Roon you just have to add the 8Cs that is pretty minimal, the 8351Bs here did sound a touch ‘thin’ out of the box but both speakers are highly adjustable, GLM is neat especially if you intend to go multi-channel at some point, hopefully I should be able to directly compare both in the near future but I don’t expect them to sound dramatically different once their target curves have been adjusted, to be more similar.
Keith

OP
Eeyoredave

Eeyoredave

Roon is great, but requires a server, etc., I have a Qnap NAS and it seems to work ok, I need to restart the DAC and Streamer sometimes to get it to work, and there is where I both lean towards the 8C and lean away. The 8C, cannot have both digital and analogue connected, one or the other. But if I have Roon, that will solve the issue of connections, but I need to run and pay for Roon. I don't get Qobuz, Tidal, etc., here, only Apple Music. So the benefits of Roon (ATM) is limited. The 8361 maybe better on the connection side, but seems the prevailing opinion is that the bass doesn't go as deep as the 8C (as I can understand the various FR and measurements around).

But without Roon, a Pi or Auralic Aries Mini with a SPDIF-AES converter would also be minimal, and I use a SSD on the Aries, so it becomes very small and self contained. This setup would work for either options.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Roon really comes into its own when you add a streaming service imo, if you do use Roon that is connected via the 8Cs ethernet ports leaving the analogue/digital XLR free for something else.
Hosa make a neat little optical/AES box if you want to connect the TV, volume can be controlled either in Roon or by the new ‘Ascend’ app.
Keith

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had the Genelec 8351b and Dutch and Dutch 8c. If you're mainly listening alone no more than 2.5 meters the Dutch 8c would be my choice as you would have more and smoother bass, the 8361a would probably change my mind though I've never had a chance to listen to them. Either are easy to set up with EQ. If you're looking for something with a wider dispersion the Focal Trio11 be is very good and in my opinion has better bass than either the 8c or 8351b and larger sweet spot. They are more difficult to set up needing room treatments , more emphasis on placement as well as EQ.

Edit: I see where you mention connecting a TT. The Genelec and Dutch and Dutch both run all inputs through their DSP so everything's going to be digital if that makes a difference to you. Myself I don't see the point of vinyl with these speakers.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The in room response of those particular Trios is really lumpy compared to the 8cs ,I was actually able to measure both because they were the engineers former speaker and better bass, no way.
Really they are both excellent, think about you are going to use them now and in the future I honestly don’t think you will be disappointed in either.
Keith

steve59

Major Contributor
Right now a pair of D&D speakers comes with a roon nucleus. check out the roon homepage

OP
Eeyoredave

Eeyoredave

Really? just went on and it looks like free stands. But I am pretty sure they won’t ship to where I am anyway…

OP
Eeyoredave

Eeyoredave

The in room response of those particular Trios is really lumpy compared to the 8cs ,I was actually able to measure both because they were the engineers former speaker and better bass, no way.
Really they are both excellent, think about you are going to use them now and in the future I honestly don’t think you will be disappointed in either.
Keith
I think you’re right, and maybe I am just over thinking it... but such a large blind purchase, just want to convince myself in the right choice.

OP
Eeyoredave

Eeyoredave

I've had the Genelec 8351b and Dutch and Dutch 8c. If you're mainly listening alone no more than 2.5 meters the Dutch 8c would be my choice as you would have more and smoother bass, the 8361a would probably change my mind though I've never had a chance to listen to them. Either are easy to set up with EQ. If you're looking for something with a wider dispersion the Focal Trio11 be is very good and in my opinion has better bass than either the 8c or 8351b and larger sweet spot. They are more difficult to set up needing room treatments , more emphasis on placement as well as EQ.

Edit: I see where you mention connecting a TT. The Genelec and Dutch and Dutch both run all inputs through their DSP so everything's going to be digital if that makes a difference to you. Myself I don't see the point of vinyl with these speakers.
Re the vinyl, I have a small collection and enjoy the experience, even though it may not be considered the “highest fidelity”. Like I said, it’s the experience, but in terms of variety and convenience, digital streaming is absolutely the way to go.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Before EQ the 8c bass is better than any monitor I've had in my room, with that said after EQ the Trio11 goes lower, louder and is not lumpy but yes the 8c is better after thinking about it but not enough for me to give up wider dispersion. If you're going to sit in the sweet spot and not move around a lot the 8c would be hard to beat. Of course this is just my subjective opinion and measurements in my room. I only mentioned the vinyl being digitized as some people it would bother, me, if I still had vinyl it wouldn't. I'd just hook it up and listen.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm an outlier but I've had the Dutch and Dutch 8c twice and both times ended up selling them. They are exceptional monitors and when you're in that sweet spot they are absolutely addictive. My problem is I couldn't always be in that area since my listening room is also my living room so I went with speakers that have wider dispersion. As always YMMV.

Top Bottom