• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me decide between Apple USBC Dongle VS Asus Xonar SE Sound Card PciE

'Tusk'

These are my 2 choices I had a previous Asus Xonar DG and it was flawless, it sounded no different than my Topping D30 and Liquid Spark Amp combo so I sold the combo and recovered most of my money.

However now have a new motherboard and you can tell the onboard is trash on my HD58X, in stark contrast my Samsung S7 Edge Qualcomm sounds significantly better.

Since the new board doesn't have PCI old school port the xonar DG is now worthless. The new one is called the Xonar SE but there is no reviews of it....

I use a pair of $100 Dayton bookshelf speakers and I can only assume there is no difference between the current onboard when using the daytons than if I was to use a DAC as these speakers wouldn't be anywhere near as good to detect flaws in onboard DAC, I am assuming this. Otherwise I would just get the Asus Xonar SE.

Also how much amps does the USBC to USBA converter adapter have to be to fully power the apple dongle?

And most important is the apple dongle enough to power my HD58X?

I am worried the Apple Dongle may not be enough power

OP
T

'Tusk'

Since the apple dongle is 1VRMS and my old Xonar DG was probably 2VRMS maybe the Dongle will work since I would always have the Xonar DG at 40% volume, beyond that was too loud.

Although the new Xonar SE might serve better since it has a asus audio console with features and stuff. hmmm

As it stands my S7 Edge qualcomm is already too loud for my HD58x and It stands to reason the apple dongle should atleast match the S7 if not beat it in loudness.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Since the apple dongle is 1VRMS and my old Xonar DG was probably 2VRMS maybe the Dongle will work since I would always have the Xonar DG at 40% volume, beyond that was too loud.

Although the new Xonar SE might serve better since it has a asus audio console with features and stuff. hmmm

As it stands my S7 Edge qualcomm is already too loud for my HD58x and It stands to reason the apple dongle should atleast match the S7 if not beat it in loudness.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
For the money, try it. Just dont get the EU version (volume limited)

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

TheWalkman

Don't waste money on the Apple dongle.
Mine lasted 10 days.
Purchase something more seriously build.

Here is another dongle that looks good
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hifi-pro-usb-c-phone-dongle-dac-review.10423/

Or you have this one, still better, but you'll need a specific cable then
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-e1da-9038s-bal-portable-dac-amp.8424/

My Apple dongle has been working at least four months just fine and sounds great. (I’m using a Pi/ Volumio streamer.) For < $10, you can’t go wrong.

Top Bottom