• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me decide: Arcam avr 550, Denon 3700x or Denon 4700x or other

Which would you get based on my post?

• Total voters

Nightyard

As Titled.

Currently have the Tonewinner at-300 but I want something with decent measurements and decent calibration software. I would like to spend as little as needed for an enjoyable setup. eARC would be good.

My setup is 5.2.4

I can pick:
  • used Arcam AVR 550 for around £600 - £700
  • b stock denon 3700x for 750
  • b stock denon 4700x for 1100
  • used Arcam AVR20 for £1600
  • make a recommendation, please.

I've ordered 3x genelec 8030c for my LCR but if I don't like those, I'll either change them for higher spec genelec/neumann speakers or pick up a pair of KEF R3 and a centre speaker. I would power the LCR with my power amp and not the denon. The rest of the speakers I would prefer to use the receiver's amps but I do have enough power amps (behringer a800) to power all channels as I currently do with the tonewinner.

I currently have a SVS 3000 Micro and will probably pick up another one of these, so something that can calibrate dual subs without me needing to use a minidsp 2x4hd is ideal.

The Tonewinner has niggles that I just can't be bothered dealing with anymore.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Denon X3700H refurb anyday.

About that...new generation X3800H is about to be released (before the end of the year).
You can see the improvements in their Marantz (sister company to Denon) AVRs (leaked specs) here.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nightyard

About that...new generation X3800H is about to be released (before the end of the year).
You can see the improvements in their Marantz (sister company to Denon) AVRs (leaked specs) here.
Some great features there. Looks like they'll be considerably more than the 3700, especially if you opt for dirac. Maybe I'll pick one up in a few years when they're cheaper.

Dumdum

One thing I will say is the crossovers aren’t very flexible on the subs vs a stand-alone dsp in my 3700, that said I do love and did recommend you a 3700

dlaloum

Major Contributor
What is wrong with the Tonewinner AT300 ?

Most reports on Tonewinner seem to indicate reputable and decent performance - but I have not seen their kit formally measured

N1ck

Links not working.
What improvements have been leaked?

Top Bottom