• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me choose speakers for living room

Mayors Income

Hi everyone,

I need to buy a pair of speakers for my living room. I will go passive way, partially because rest of the setup, partially cause they look better to me. I also listen a lot of vinyl.

Living room is 20m2 big, and speakers will be around 3.5 meters away from usual listening position.

My first dilemma is standmounts or (smaller) towers? I have no preferences on either, I'm just interested what do you think which will be better suited for the room? Subwoofer is not an option.

As far as choices go, where I'm from (Croatia) I can get my hands on (prices are in USD):

Standmounts:

Revel Concerta2 M16 - 1.435
Focal Aria 906 - 1.100
Wharfedale EVO 4.2 - 890
Dali Opticon 2 - 955

Towers:

Monitor Audio Silver 200 - 1.354
Acoustic Energy AE309 - 1.228
Focal Chorus 714 - 1.051
Wharfedale Diamond 12.3 - 818
Dali Oberon 5 - 939

What do you guys think? Thanks!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
M

Mayors Income

Is higher listening SPL and deep bass important?
If yes can you get there also the new Quadral Signum 90 which costs 1000€ a pair?
No Quadrals distributor in Croatia I'm afraid.
As I live in building with many flats near/below me I can't go too loud in the room.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In that case I would prefer rather one of the standmounts you listed which are all good loudspeakers, Revel has a more neutral tonality, Dali and Focal are a bit brighter, Wharfedale a bit darker, best of course is to listen to all of them yourself.

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just a short comment that the distributor in Croatia had a very significant discount on Revel M16s when they were on sale last year (vs their list price) - I'd suggest to give them a call and inquire on pricing if you're thinking of going in that direction.

OP
M

Mayors Income

Just a short comment that the distributor in Croatia had a very significant discount on Revel M16s when they were on sale last year (vs their list price) - I'd suggest to give them a call and inquire on pricing if you're thinking of going in that direction.
Heh, I know, discount was around 40%. If I decide to go Reveling I'll try to negotiate for sure.

Top Bottom