• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me choose a DAC: Topping EX5, SMSL DO200, with less high pitch noise

Nonick

I'm looking for a DAC to pair with Topping PA5 amp, max to 700 EUR.
Raspberry 4B is used as a streamer to DAC and then to PA5 amp.
I'm using Moode with PEQ, so MiniDSP flex/dac isnt required.
I have three "candidates" for DAC:
Topping EX5
SMSL DO200
Soncoz SGD1

I've had Topping E50 DAC, but it had a high pitch noise coming from unit (audible from cca 10-20cm away). So, the only criteria for DAC is NOT to have high pitched noise from the unit (or power supply).
Which of three mentioned DACswould you recommend?
Thank you.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nonick

That was not supposed to happen. Did you try several E50?
Unfortunately - no. I had one unit E50 and it produced a slight, but OCD audible, high pitched noise.
Returned it and got a full refund. Topping PA5 is completely silent (unit and power supply).

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor
Sounds faulty. None of the units you mention should make a coil while noise like that. I have the Soncoz & it’s silent

OP
N

Nonick

I wasn't pleased with E50 with its features (no volume knob, no bluetooth) - though it was a good pairing with PA5.
Since i got burned once, i blow on cold, so i would prefer one of these mentioned units.
So far - Soncoz is silent according to mr. JamesYeomans. Thank you!

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wasn't pleased with E50 with its features (no volume knob, no bluetooth) - though it was a good pairing with PA5.
Since i got burned once, i blow on cold, so i would prefer one of these mentioned units.
So far - Soncoz is silent according to mr. JamesYeomans. Thank you!
But you can adjust volume on the PA5, right?

OP
N

Nonick

But you can adjust volume on the PA5, right?
Correct, but the volume on PA5 remained at fixed position (no remote control also). I was adjusting volume via E50 remote.
Therefore, a DAC with volume knob and remote control is preferred.

qec

I have both a EX5 and DX3 Pro+. I can't tell the different from a sound stand point. The EX5 has balanced outputs and MQA support. Neither are available on the DX3. They both support LDAC BT and both have remotes. I don't use either as a headphone amp so I can't comment on that. There is a pretty big difference in price ($150 I think). If you have the money the EX5 gives you more options for connections and an internal power supply.
My EX5 drives a PA5 and the DX3 pro+ drives and old Marantz (2250) receiver. I use a combination of USB and BT connections.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have both D30 pro and EX5 and they are both silent.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sound difference?? No any difference would be completely inaudible. EX5 hot no.

OP
N

Nonick

Great. So far, EX5 seems to be optimal for this setup.
I'll wait if someone shares their experience with SMSL DO200, but so far EX5 is the winner.

qec

Mine does not run hot but it is warm. Guessing some of that may be the power supply.

funnychap

I'm looking for a DAC to pair with Topping PA5 amp, max to 700 EUR.
Raspberry 4B is used as a streamer to DAC and then to PA5 amp.
I'm using Moode with PEQ, so MiniDSP flex/dac isnt required.
I have three "candidates" for DAC:
Topping EX5
SMSL DO200
Soncoz SGD1

I've had Topping E50 DAC, but it had a high pitch noise coming from unit (audible from cca 10-20cm away). So, the only criteria for DAC is NOT to have high pitched noise from the unit (or power supply).
Which of three mentioned DACswould you recommend?
Thank you.
You probably have a defective unit. I bought an open box Topping E50 and the volume did not work. Then I bought a new one and the volume worked from the remote.

I also gave the Topping E50 a better power supply. Linear Power Supply ($18 Jameco Reliapro DDU050100H4660 on Amazon).

Top Bottom