• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me buy a tube pre-amp..

LegionOfHell

My setup will be like the following: Creative X7 Lineout ----> tube pre-amp ----> Schiit Heresy.

I have some questions:

(1) First of all, I wanna make sure that I understand what a tube pre-amp does:
(a) it amplifies the outputted signal from X7 a little bit so that the signal strength is compatible with the Heresy's required inputted signal strength.
(b) it distorts the signal by using tubes so that the music sounds more beautiful.
Is my understanding correct ?

(2) I need a cheap tube pre-amp, I am currently looking at this , is this a good tube pre-amp for this setup ? are there other choices in the same price range that are better ?

(3) Is there anything else I should worry about when setting this up ? like, at what volume should X7 and the tube pre-amp be ?

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt that it's the right site to get such recommendation, but you never know...

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have this arriving today to get a bit more level out of an old tuner and match input levels into my digital preamp better. It has taken months to get from China though as made to order, via Oz dealer. Little dot pre

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
My setup will be like the following: Creative X7 Lineout ----> tube pre-amp ----> Schiit Heresy.

I have some questions:

(1) First of all, I wanna make sure that I understand what a tube pre-amp does:
(a) it amplifies the outputted signal from X7 a little bit so that the signal strength is compatible with the Heresy's required inputted signal strength.
(b) it distorts the signal by using tubes so that the music sounds more beautiful.
Is my understanding correct ?

(2) I need a cheap tube pre-amp, I am currently looking at this , is this a good tube pre-amp for this setup ? are there other choices in the same price range that are better ?

(3) Is there anything else I should worry about when setting this up ? like, at what volume should X7 and the tube pre-amp be ?
Have you tried the headphone output on the X7 with your headphones?

OP
LegionOfHell

LegionOfHell

Have you tried the headphone output on the X7 with your headphones?

I have..But I want to try a stronger amp...I am sure it will drive some of my headphones better....

I am also planning to start op-amp rolling my X7...

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I have..But I want to try a stronger amp...I am sure it will drive some of my headphones better....

I am also planning to start op-amp rolling my X7...
If you need a higher power amp - the ifi DSD Signature DAC Amp will have it covered. I own one and have tested it with Grado SR80's, Sennheiser HD600, and Meze Audio Classic 99. Works quite well with these three and I suspect can drive anything with up to 4 watts out of the balanced headphone jack and up to 2 watts unbalanced. Three power levels and impedance matches allow for proper matching to your headphone. Not cheap at $649 but it will take the place of the X7 for headphone or preamp use from a digital source. Using the tube preamp linked as a go between to the Heresy is a complete waste of time. Tubes as an effects box are good for electric guitars - not audio. Good tube gear that has inaudible distortion is not that cheap. Rolling op amps in your X7 is unlikely to change anything. You would need to change the voltage rails - within the op amps rating - to get more power out. I am not saying don't do it, just pointing out some things that come to mind. Knowledge can be expensive.....

OP
LegionOfHell

LegionOfHell

You would need to change the voltage rails - within the op amps rating - to get more power out.

I thought changing op-amps only changes how the amp sounds...You are saying it also affects outputted power to the headphone jacks ?

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I thought changing op-amps only changes how the amp sounds...You are saying it also affects outputted power to the headphone jacks ?
Depends on how the headphones are being powered. They could put a series power resistor between your speaker outs and headphone outputs to drop most of the power across the resistor to protect the headphones. That would limit bass control on low impedance headphones but probably work better with 300 ohm headphones. Using an op amp allows for proper power output with low output impedance. Changing op amps might make a difference if the current op amp has hiss for example. The other possibility is changing to a different op amp not compatible with the actual circuit used. If you are going to roll op amps stick to compatible substitutions.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
A lot of these sub $80 tube preamps are just tube buffers so there is not really gain, just coloration, i.e., distortion and frequency response changes. Sometimes they combine a tube buffer with op amps to get coloration and gain. Same for tube headphone amps. I really like the Loxjie P20 tube headphone amp, and I would like to try a Schiit Vali or Schiit Valhalla. You can certainly use the device in the opening post to get a taste of tubes. As others have said, it is more about hearing what you see and seeing cool stuff than actual changes in the sound waves, but tubes can be fun. Since tube gear can be tempermental, startimg with something inexpensive is a good way to go.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Best advice is - don't.

Reminds me of buying a Condo - all the disadvantages of apartment living combined with the disadvantages of home ownership..

Top Bottom