• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me act rationally about headphones

Maes Hughes

that's really good to know. I don't dislike the xm3 fit, i just find the seal frequently breaking and requiring a re-seating. Maybe I should go back to Etymotic, if I can tolerate the itchy triple flange tips...

I use Etymotic in a professional setting quite often. We have all swapped out to foam Chinese tips (similar to the tips on tin t2s) for them and they are significantly more comfortable. Amazon and alibaba have them just have to pick the correct barrel size. Etymotic also released a dual flange tip which is much less invasive.

Aeon open backs or Sundaras are excellent choices. Speaking of thinking rationally... the anandas are only a little more than the dan clarks. But then again, I do prefer headphones to furniture so I might not be a voice of reason.

Paolo

That's where my head is. I've never listened to any planar magnetic headphones, so I'd like to give it a try.

I guess a better stated question would have been: If I want to try them out, would it be better to go for the HE400is or save up a bit and go for Dan Clark Aeons later?
Have you considered saving just a bit up and go for the Hifiman Sundara? Technically are a good alternative to the HD6XX, maybe even better and with a nice "planar" soundstage.

OP
W

weasels

Have you considered saving just a bit up and go for the Hifiman Sundara? Technically are a good alternative to the HD6XX, maybe even better and with a nice "planar" soundstage.

It's a possibility. I'm trying - as it sounds like most of us are - to find the best bang for my buck. I'm willing to spend a little more if there is a significant difference.

I'm pretty much sold on getting a pair of open back planars, so the question has evolved to: Is the increase in sound quality of the Aeon Open (or Sundara) worth the cost premium over a pair of EQ'd 400is?

For in ear I'm going to give the etymotic + foam tip suggestion a try. I already know I like the sound profile of the etymotics, it was always the tips that irritated me (and the microphonic cable, but clipping it to my shirt mostly solved that problem).

RHO

Major Contributor
I'm pretty much sold on getting a pair of open back planars, so the question has evolved to: Is the increase in sound quality of the Aeon Open (or Sundara) worth the cost premium over a pair of EQ'd 400is?
Also, from what I see and read in reviews: The build quality and consistency of the Sundara seems to be not on par with that of the DCA headphones. Personally I would take that also into consideration.

Paolo

Is the increase in sound quality of the Aeon Open (or Sundara) worth the cost premium over a pair of EQ'd 400is?

I wont place the Aeon Open (around 900$) on the same pool of the Sundara (350$). But in my opinion the latter is the best value for money, with greater quality for the price than both the 400i and the Aeon. Also a good reference to educate your hearing and learn what you really like before stepping up for much more expensive cans.

RHO

Major Contributor
I wont place the Aeon Open (around 900$) on the same pool of the Sundara (350$). But in my opinion the latter is the best value for money, with greater quality for the price than both the 400i and the Aeon. Also a good reference to educate your hearing and learn what you really like before stepping up for much more expensive cans.
Aeon open is $500, not $900. The Aeon 2 open is $900. That's quite a difference if you consider value for money.

Paolo

You're right, I was looking at the Aeon 2, sorry. Still seems like the Hifiman have the edge, albeit a smaller one.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I own a few sets of headphones and a bunch of earbuds. My primary cans are the HE-400i which I absolutely love. Recently, I got that itch to maybe spend some money and I started thinking about the K371s. I read Amirm's review and thought to myself "hmmm, it would be cool to see what some headphones that get real close to the Harman Curve are like." Then I remembered that I have the 400i's EQ'd to the HC with just a titch lowered bass and I realized I already know what headphones tuned to the HC sound like so I didn't pull the trigger. Mostly, I'm at a point where I just don't think acquiring more stuff is likely to do much for me. I already have several sets of headphones I never listen to, lol.

Or to put it another way, I'm at a point where I feel like all I'd be buying now (really with everything, not just headphones) is different "hard-wired" EQ curves. And I have the ability to try any EQ curve I want already.

Last edited:

vert

Forum Donor
Tough question which only you can answer as the headphones you own likely already give you good to excellent fidelity. I used to be "into" IEMs as I used to commute by train (back when that was a thing we did). I never spent over $130 and was never pleased with the sound or quality (RHA, Fiio, Sony). I couldn't fathom paying more for IEMs for an uncertain result. I got curious about Sony's MH755s which turned out to sound better for $10+cable mod than any IEM I'd owned before. That ended my "IEM journey". My wife still uses the ones I made for her. But my daughter broke the other two, and the Japanese eBay shop stopped selling them. I got a pair of Galaxy Buds which really cost nothing for what they are. With negative dBs applied when EQd, maybe I would like a little more power, but otherwise they're a perfectly designed product. That ended the journey for a second time. As to overears, I have a pair of HD280 Pros, some old AKG 400s, and some Stax Sigmas that a friend gave me and which satisfied my curiosity about exotic/unobtainium headphones. For all of them I apply EQ (except for watching movies) and get mostly the same sound quality (not accounting for the open/closed back differences). Could it be better? Maybe, but to me it's too much effort investigating beyond that point. I'm curious about the AKG 371s but Amir hadn't done his review yet and I bought the HD280 Pros instead. Beyond that? Not much, but everyone's needs are different, so to repeat myself, only you have the answer!

OP
W

weasels

You're right, I was looking at the Aeon 2, sorry. Still seems like the Hifiman have the edge, albeit a smaller one.

All good advice. $150 between the Aeon Opens and Sundaras isn't a deal breaker, but isn't trivial either. But that is also about the difference in cost between the 400i and Sundara. Diminishing returns would suggest that the 400i are probably the way to go for an exploratory purchase, and then if I like the planar magnetic scene I can splash bigger later.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@vert MH755 while good for dirty cheap one's who ever did menage to buy them stand alone and original (not that much people actually) aren't exactly what I would call good regarding sound. Sure they are very close to Harman target (which I don't really like) but they sound tiny, bass blotted and with distortion , vocal recessed. Still have them and use them when I do gardening work (and only then with original short back around the neck cable) along with SBH 52 (both restock two pairs three years ago for 17€ a peace, one is still sitting in the box new). Today there are great sounding IEM's for 60~100$.

Last edited:

brandall10

I can help with rational thinking.... buy a set of used KSE1200s for ~$1250, EQ them w/ Harman < 1k and Oratory > 1k, fit them w/ Spinfit 240Ms, call it one and done.

Being electrostats the technicalities are insanely great, being in-ears the bass problem is largely solved. But like most electrostats the EQ is wonky. No matter, they love EQ.

I've been doing this for 20 years now... ran meetups, been to multiple canjams - I've heard obscenely expensive rigs and have at many points during my journey had a main rig with about $5k invested. Had at least $50k in gear I've purchased/sold over the years.

Nothing comes remotely close at this price, and you're not going to do much better for many multiples more.

Last edited:

RHO

Major Contributor
I can help with rational thinking.... buy a set of used KSE1200s for ~$1250, EQ them w/ Harman < 1k and Oratory > 1k, fit them w/ Spinfit 240Ms, call it one and done.

Being electrostats the technicalities are insanely great, being in-ears the bass problem is largely solved. But like most electrostats the EQ is wonky. No matter, they love EQ.

I've been doing this for 20 years now... ran meetups, been to multiple canjams - I've heard obscenely expensive rigs and have at many points during my journey had a main rig with about $5k invested. Had at least $50k in gear I've purchased/sold over the years.

Nothing comes remotely close at this price, and you're not going to do much better for many multiples more.
I'm happy you enjoy your gear this much. But following one person's personal experience and hoping you have exactly the same taste is far from rational. "Believe me, this sounds amazing", are not really objective/ratonal reasons to follow your advise.

OP
W

weasels

Quick update - I bought a set of comply foam tips for the Sony wireless earbuds, and this has solved the issue of having the fit get loose over time. As a bonus, the improved seal has really done wonders for sub-bass response.

With noise cancelling on, the sound of the Sony buds are (subjectively, I have no way to measure) excellent and as a result I can throw my IEM budget at planar headphones :)

Reactions: RHO

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
I would get the K361 if i were you (i'm also thinking of trying the 71 since i have the 61, but deciding on trying the SRH840) and/or the HD650.

Last edited:

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
buy a small fixed number of headphone hangers and make a rule that you can't ever own more than that many headphones. i have 4. 2 of them are gifts, one of them is bluetooth, so i'm limited to one discretionary headphone at a time.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
I'd definitely go for the HE4XX. Better bass extension than the HE400i, generally smoother response, and greater upper-treble extension (important for good perceived 'resolution' / 'detail'):

Harman 2018-Hifiman HE4XX-Hifiman HE400i (2020)-5.png

And with a Harman predicted preference rating just 1 percent higher than the HE4XX's 89/100, the Sundara isn't worth almost double the price (especially considering the latter's lack of earcup swivel compared to the former which can cause seal issues and so lack of bass for some).

brbsnacks

I considered all this before I purchased my Sundara. I figured it would feel terrible for 350 but the build is nicer than people give it credit. Paired with oratory 1990 I enjoy it so much I kind of want to see how much of a step up the Aryas are. I went in thinking DT1990 or 660s and left with Sundara.

Top Bottom