• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help in deciding which between Yamaha HS8 and JBL mkII 308p

nsense

I'm not technically a newbie, but wasn't sure where this thread goes. I have a 18'×14' studio space (which will be acoustically treated) and I'm looking to buy my first and only pair of studio monitors for some hobbyist and freelancing mixing and mastering and independent music and covers etc. Note that looking at the price point, the 308s make sense, but I've found mixed reviews on them. The fact that this will be my only pair of monitors for the foreseeable future, I wouldn't mind a little premium, (but please do not suggest me any monitors that go beyond the price point of the HS8s, those will simply not be in my budget.)
Mix translatability and dependability is key.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't believe the Yamaha HS series is competitive. JBL, Adam, and Kali all have better options in their prices ranges. That said, of the HS series, the HS8 is the only one I would even consider.

So I would definitely recommend the 308s with the following caveats ...
* buy from a dealer with an easy return in case you get a pair with excessive hiss
* you have a mechanism to eq the small crossover dip at around 1.5Khz
* your primary use is nearfield or if in far field you don't need to listen loud

I have the 306mkii and like them alot. I've done speaker/room measurements and drop an EQ plugin in my master bus to compensate for room and the crossover dip mentioned above. Mix translation has been excellent.

Edit: But don't just take my word for it ... check out the monitor measurements in the speaker reviews: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/SpeakerTestData/

OP
N

nsense

I don't believe the Yamaha HS series is competitive. JBL, Adam, and Kali all have better options in their prices ranges. That said, of the HS series, the HS8 is the only one I would even consider.

So I would definitely recommend the 308s with the following caveats ...
* buy from a dealer with an easy return in case you get a pair with excessive hiss
* you have a mechanism to eq the small crossover dip at around 1.5Khz
* your primary use is nearfield or if in far field you don't need to listen loud

I have the 306mkii and like them alot. I've done speaker/room measurements and drop an EQ plugin in my master bus to compensate for room and the crossover dip mentioned above. Mix translation has been excellent.

Edit: But don't just take my word for it ... check out the monitor measurements in the speaker reviews: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/SpeakerTestData/
My dealer would be Amazon :p as they're letting me have flat 50% off per speaker when it comes to the JBL 308p monitor. (No discount on the HS8s though). I most likely cannot spend on room measurements and calibration and such, so any crossover grey areas, well I'll have to learn the monitors as is and compensate in my mixes. Most commonly, they will be used near field, in the mix position, but if they can be used every now and then for playing music out loud from across the studio, (no more than 18ft distance from the monitors) it's definitely a plus point.

OP
N

nsense

How about the Kali IN-5?
They don't retail that around here where I live, first off, and secondly, for the size of my studio, I will need 8inch monitors. I can get my hands on the LP8s though, what'd you think of those?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The JBLs measure really well. I would also look at the Kali LP8 and IN-5, but for the money the 308 are basically impossible to beat. Kali IN-8 is another good option.

The Yamaha's have underwhelming measurements. Adam, Kali and JBL are your best bets in this price range.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

q3cpma

Major Contributor
They don't retail that around here where I live, first off, and secondly, for the size of my studio, I will need 8inch monitors. I can get my hands on the LP8s though, what'd you think of those?
The size isn't as important as the listening distance, really. And you will need a subwoofer at some point, anyway.

OP
N

nsense

The JBLs measure really well. I would also look at the Kali LP8 and IN-5, but for the money the 308 are basically impossible to beat. Kali IN-8 is another good option.

The Yamaha's have underwhelming measurements. Adam, Kali and JBL are your best bets in this price range.
Thank you for clearing that up, I'll take my pick with between the 308p and the LP8s! :)

OP
N

nsense

The size isn't as important as the listening distance, really. And you will need a subwoofer at some point, anyway.
Since I'm 98% sure I won't be buying anything but the monitors, I'd like to get the best I can within budget, and yes, I agree, when it comes to listening distance, it'll probably be around 4-5 feet, that is from ears to speaker axis, around my desk forming the equilateral triangle sorta arrangement.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for clearing that up, I'll take my pick with between the 308p and the LP8s! :)

I would give the edge to the LP8. For one, the designer of the Kali designed the LSR series for JBL, but he decided to go solo when JBL got bought by Samsung (or something like that.) Also, the LP8 is front ported, which I think is preferable. Having said that, the JBL is very cheap and very good. If you need accuracy and output at low cost those are your best options.

unexperienced

Hi!

If you have good hearing,you will hear the noise of the JBL 308. I owned them, and I could hear the hiss. It's quite irritable. This is the noise of the D amplifiers that are installed in them. You can't get rid of this noise. So I sold them without regret.

If it wasn't for that hiss from the treble speaker, these would be super monitors in this price range, and I really liked the sound of them. They don't even need a subwoofer, they work out the low-frequency range at 100% and there's nothing to complain about, but this hiss spoils everything.

Last edited:

Lilith

Don't know but....

I find the HS8 very balanced, HS7 not that much. I would go for the Hs8.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My dealer would be Amazon :p as they're letting me have flat 50% off per speaker when it comes to the JBL 308p monitor. (No discount on the HS8s though). I most likely cannot spend on room measurements and calibration and such, so any crossover grey areas, well I'll have to learn the monitors as is and compensate in my mixes. Most commonly, they will be used near field, in the mix position, but if they can be used every now and then for playing music out loud from across the studio, (no more than 18ft distance from the monitors) it's definitely a plus point.
50% off the 308p, what is the normal price and what is the price with this 50% off?

Top Bottom