• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help identifying Elac Sub 2050 service port

• Thread starter Deleted member 65
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 65

Since IOS 13 I’m not able to control my Elac Sub 2050 anymore. Setup of the sub is done thru iPad/iPhone Bluetooth connection. New Elac firmware is needed to enable IOS 13 Bluetooth connection.

Elac just released said firmware with update instructions. Instructions:

Disconnect the power cable and wait 5 minutes.
2. Unzip and Save the attached file ‘elacs12.hex’ to a root of a of usb flash drive.
3. Insert the thumb drive into the service port of the subwoofer.
4. Plug the subwoofer in.
5. The blue LED will go through a series of blinking on and off.
6. Once the LED turns off and stays off, unplug the device.
*note* if the LED turns on and stays on for longer than 5 minutes. It means the process failed, so restart at step 1.
7. Remove the thumb drive.
8. Wait another 5 minutes and turn the subwoofer back ON by plugging it back in.

The instructions seems to be wrong! The service port on the sub looks like below picture, not a USB port.

So, I need help in identifying the port.

1575715163600.jpeg

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Guessing this is some kind of serial connector ... or?

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Isn't this a usb mini-b?

This?

The mini usb five pin connector plug looks like;

5 Pin Mini USB Pinouts
| | | | |
| | | | |
gnd | dat +5v
\
\pwr sense?

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No USB flash drive is going to fit that jack. It looks like a proprietary design as you might find on some brands of digital camera. You'll need to contact ELAC to see if they offer an adapter or a referral to somewhere you can get one.

Abe_W

I got dual subs...and only one subwoofer will show up on the sub control app consistently. The other sub is very randomly detected by the app. Do you know what may be the issue?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Thanks. I've been trying to find a USB mini-AB cord or adapter. Do you know where I could get one?
What are you trying to connect to? IIRC the socket was designed to accept both the mini-A and mini-B plugs, switching between host mode and device mode depending on which was plugged in. I don't think there was a mini-AB plug at all. A to mini-B cables were common at the time, but I don't think I've ever seen a mini-A to B cable, or a mini-A plug to A socket adapter. The mini connectors had a 5th pin that was used to indicate the mode. A lot of the plugs had this mode indication wiring built in and only exposed the usual 4 contacts to solder to, but a few mini-B plugs exposed all 5 pins. With one of those you could wire a mini-B to behave as a mini-A, or do non-standard detection. My memory is hazy on the details - I only know about this much because of an odd phone that abused the mini-B socket somewhat, and made access to the 5th pin useful for custom stuff.

Spyder22

What are you trying to connect to? IIRC the socket was designed to accept both the mini-A and mini-B plugs, switching between host mode and device mode depending on which was plugged in. I don't think there was a mini-AB plug at all. A to mini-B cables were common at the time, but I don't think I've ever seen a mini-A to B cable, or a mini-A plug to A socket adapter. The mini connectors had a 5th pin that was used to indicate the mode. A lot of the plugs had this mode indication wiring built in and only exposed the usual 4 contacts to solder to, but a few mini-B plugs exposed all 5 pins. With one of those you could wire a mini-B to behave as a mini-A, or do non-standard detection. My memory is hazy on the details - I only know about this much because of an odd phone that abused the mini-B socket somewhat, and made access to the 5th pin useful for custom stuff.
Hi - thanks for the reply! Yes I now understand that the USB Mini-AB receptacle is designed to accept both USB Mini-A as well as USB Mini-B type connectors (a Mini-AB connector does not exist!). I am trying to update the software on my Elac SUB 2070. I will use a USB Mini-B connector and let you know if that works. I wish the update instructions on the Elac website would clarify the type of connectors that could be used on their subwoofers. The Mini-AB receptacle is not common and deprecated since 2007, but hopefully should still accept a Mini-B connector. Cheers

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Ok thank-you. Unfortunately they will not ship to Canada. But do I need the USB Mini-A to do the software update or can I use the USB Mini-B connector? Cheers, M
I'm sure they can't be the only seller - that was just the first result from a web search for "mini-a otg cable" (not in quotes for the search!)

Whether you need it depends on exactly what Elac did - various not-really-standard things were done by manufacturers at the time, as with the phone I had, so I can't really say. If I understand post #8 correctly it worked with a normal A to mini-B cable and an A-A adapter (which the USB spec doesn't allow) to connect the cable and the USB stick. That wouldn't work if they were following the letter of the standard, so who knows? You may also be able to use mini-B plug to A socket OTG adapters that again aren't strictly standards compliant but were used with devices that used a mini-B socket where they ought to have had a mini-AB.

Spyder22

I also searched Amazon USA and Canada, but they are not that easy to find. Having said that, I believe that a USB Mini-B connector will work so I will start with that and see how it goes.
USB Mini-B.JPG

Top Bottom