• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help - How do I measure dual concentric Tannoy Monitor drivers?

VintageTannoy

Hi All,

I have 4 pairs of vintage dual concentric Tannoy drivers. I would like to measure these and see what the differences are between the various iterations of these drivers. I'm new to measurements and don't know how to best measure these drivers for comparison.

20230121_092356.JPG

Here's what was able to do so far, I ran frequency sweep through the amp and measured on my phone using Dayton Audio iMM-6 mic and the Spectroid app on android. When I measured two of these drivers out of the speaker cabinets (I believe this is referred to as "free air resonance"?) I got the following results:
Driver A:
Spec1.jpg

Driver B:
Spec2.jpg

How would I interpret the two graphs above? Is one driver better than the other?

I have a few questions I'm not sure about:
1. Is this a good way to test these drivers?
2. Is it better to test the drivers out of the cabinets or with them in the cabinet? I do not want the speaker cabinet to be a variable so I'm leaning towards measuring just the drivers without the cabinet. Is there anything I need to watch out for?
3. Is the 3.5mm Dayton mic with the Spectroid app sufficient for what I'm trying to do? Do I need REW for this?
4. Does the volume on the amp need to be same? There is a difference in sensitivity for these drivers. Do I need to measure the volume and adjust accordingly to match the volume level?
5. Do the bass and treble tone controls on the amp make any difference? I would assume so. In that case, do I set the bass and treble to 0 or 5 or 10? Or does it not matter as long as I'm consistent with all the drivers?
6. I'm planning to test the drivers with their original crossovers. Should I be testing without crossovers?
7. Anything else I'm not considering?

Sorry, I'm a newbie at measurements. Any help/advice is appreciated. How would you test and measure these drivers to determine which pair is the best among the four?

Thanks.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
Wow you do have a cash there. PE has some decent SW for testing drivers with good instructions and support.

Tannoy is a wonderful speaker with a few cabinet designs I really like for a wide baffle. It's second only to certain Imperials in my opinion
for visual masterpieces. Something about British and Italian wood work too. I just like it.

Have fun.

Regards

Top Bottom