• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help For Setup Needed

janiceps

Hey guys, I need some help here.

I am going to buy separate devices, which are pretty much decided, for my budget build.

DAC: Topping D50s
Headphone AMP: JDS Labs Atom
Stereo AMP: Onkyo A-9110 (?)
Speakers: KEF Q150

The problem is I don't know how to connect all of them without a preamplifier or RCA splitter. My plan is as such: DAC-->Headphone AMP-->Stereo AMP-->Speakers. Is this viable, can I connect the preamp outputs of JDS Labs Atom to Onkyo A-9110? If yes, then will there be any sound loss or artifacts when playing through speakers?

And do you recommend an alternative to Onkyo A-9110?

Krunok

Major Contributor
Hey guys, I need some help here.

I am going to buy separate devices, which are pretty much decided, for my budget build.

DAC: Topping D50s
Headphone AMP: JDS Labs Atom
Stereo AMP: Onkyo A-9110 (?)
Speakers: KEF Q150

The problem is I don't know how to connect all of them without a preamplifier or RCA splitter. My plan is as such: DAC-->Headphone AMP-->Stereo AMP-->Speakers. Is this viable, can I connect the preamp outputs of JDS Labs Atom to Onkyo A-9110? If yes, then will there be any sound loss or artifacts when playing through speakers?

And do you recommend an alternative to Onkyo A-9110?

That is not splitting but chaining. You can do that and it will work fine. You can aslo split at output of D50s to go to JDS Labs Atom and your stereo amp.

What is your amp budget?

Krunok

Major Contributor
So, in chaining scenario you coonect D50s output to JDS input and JDS output to stereo amp AUX input (or "Line input" if that is how it is called on your amp).

In splitting scenario you coonect D50S output with RCA splitting cable and the other 2 ends you connect to JDS input and stereo amp input. In that scenario you control volume with D50S for both amps.

OP
J

janiceps

But I've read conflicting opinions on splitting cables. Don't you think it will affect the sound even a tiny bit?

I am not into more expensive power amps since Topping D50S is highly recommended by amirm. Wish it had one more output though.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
But I've read conflicting opinions on splitting cables. Don't you think it will affect the sound even a tiny bit?

I am not into more expensive power amps since Topping D50S is highly recommended by amirm. Wish it had one more output though.

Topping D50S is a DAC. It's output stage has sufficient output impedance to easilly handle input impedance of JDS and Onkyo in parallel, so nothing to worry about. I have tried it with Topping D10 and 2 amps and it works well.

Onkyo will serve you well.

Last edited:
OP
J

janiceps

Yeah, there was a misunderstanding regarding the amp, my bad. I can spend $400 for speaker amp.

Thanks for the replies.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Yeah, there was a misunderstanding regarding the amp, my bad. I can spend $400 for speaker amp.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm sure @SIY can eventually suggest an alternative for Onkyo within that budget.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Okay – well, if you can find an integrated amp with a coax or digital input, you can send the analog output of the DAC to the headphone amp, and the digital output to the integrated amp, and no splitters would be needed.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I agree with the suggestions of trying a cable splitter and comparing that with running the headphone amp through the integrated amp.

The alternative solution is just to connect the DAC to which ever amp you are using at the time for the simplest signal route.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The line out of the Atom IS a cable splitter (it is a direct connection between in and output) so DAC-->Headphone AMP-->Stereo AMP-->Speakers works perfectly.

Last edited:
OP
J

janiceps

@solderdude So no loss or damage while going through the headphone amp to speaker amp; the signal is received as if it is coming from DAC?

Top Bottom