• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help for pre amp (Nobsound ns 08p or Audiphonics PRE 01) for Hypex NCore (my new home set-up)

AaronJ

Maybe consider a Schiit Freya S. Likely the best value for an analog preamp with a host of balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs, remote control, 128 step relay attenuation, and measures as well as can be. Schiit’s preamps are easily their highest value gear they make compared to the rest of the industry. They have a bunch of Freya S combinations (colors, voltage depending on region) on sale in their B stocks for $500. That’s a sick price for an endgame piece of gear.

SpaceMonkey

New preamp of Audiphonics and maybe is same with Nobsound-NS-08P Pro

I would like to leave a bit of feedback for Nobsound NS-08P Pro from Amazon as per link above.
I bought 2 units from Amazon store and they are essentially the same in performance so unit variation seems very very low +/- 0.1db at same levels

It clicks nicely during operation however it several nasty FLAWs.

1. When reducing volume during certain changeovers output volume actualy INCREASES and vice versa.

Both units I got exhibit the same issues when tested with M-Audio MobilePre (I know it is old) + RMAA:

Going from -15 to -16 >>> volume increases by 1 db
Going from -31 to -32 >>> volume increases by 3 db
Going from -63 to -64 >>> volume increases by 3 db

The way how this feels is that when changing volume one is puzzled to hear that at certain times volume goes in the opposite direction from expected.

2. Another issue: steps are fluctuating between 0.3 db to 2.4 db and steps are higher when closer to 0 (this one goes from 0 to negative on display)

3. Overall attenuation as observed was in the range of 60 db, so it is never actually muting the signal via the know. Although, it does have a mute function and it does work correctly.

I bought first unit, tested it, then decided to take advantage of long return dates offered by Amazon to see if second unit is the same.
Unfortunately, yes, both are the same.

Tom C

Major Contributor
This is a pretty old thread, but I have a setup that is very similar to the OP. I went with Cambridge Audio Duo for phono pre, based on Amir’s measurements. For streaming and digital audio file, Mac Mini to one of the Topping DAC’s (I forget which). I use Nobsound Little Bear for volume control and switching. Then Schiit Vidar for power amp.
It all works pretty well. I would say the weakest link in the chain is the Vidar. It hums a little, but I can’t hear it unless I get close to the amp, which I don’t normally do.
BTW, I actually have two turntables in that room. One is set up with a mono MM cart, and the other with a stereo MC cart with SUT. Both go into a Schiit Sys, which I use just to switch between the two. The volume knob on Sys is left at full at all times. The Sys then goes into the MM input of the Duo.
The whole thing’s a little kludgy, but the sound quality is tops, and it was cheap. I’m thinking of cleaning it all up with a Topping pre-amp some day.

AaronJ

This is a pretty old thread, but I have a setup that is very similar to the OP. I went with Cambridge Audio Duo for phono pre, based on Amir’s measurements. For streaming and digital audio file, Mac Mini to one of the Topping DAC’s (I forget which). I use Nobsound Little Bear for volume control and switching. Then Schiit Vidar for power amp.
It all works pretty well. I would say the weakest link in the chain is the Vidar. It hums a little, but I can’t hear it unless I get close to the amp, which I don’t normally do.
BTW, I actually have two turntables in that room. One is set up with a mono MM cart, and the other with a stereo MC cart with SUT. Both go into a Schiit Sys, which I use just to switch between the two. The volume knob on Sys is left at full at all times. The Sys then goes into the MM input of the Duo.
The whole thing’s a little kludgy, but the sound quality is tops, and it was cheap. I’m thinking of cleaning it all up with a Topping pre-amp some day.
What MM cart are you using? I used a SYS to try to A/B two phono stages and found the top end was ridiculously rolled off. It must be adding at least a few hundred pF capacitance.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Ortofon Mono SE. it’s the same as 2M black, except mono.
right now, I have no added capacitive loading, so maybe that helps. Any added capacitance from the Sys must be of the stray and distributive (I.e., incidental) type, since it’s just an A/B switch and resistive volume pot, I believe.

SpaceMonkey

Purchased Audiphonics PRE 01 as a replacement for Nobsound NS-08P Pro (don't buy this).
Quite Ok so far. Cant measure THD etc ina meaningfulway as my rig is not very good.
Still so far positive experience as it is operating in 1db solid steps (96 steps total without stupid HEX rance as in Nobsound NS-08P Pro) and quite quiet in operation (Nobsound NS-08P Pro was clicking a lot thanks to all the relays inside).

OP
S

Smislov

Purchased Audiphonics PRE 01 as a replacement for Nobsound NS-08P Pro (don't buy this).
Quite Ok so far. Cant measure THD etc ina meaningfulway as my rig is not very good.
Still so far positive experience as it is operating in 1db solid steps (96 steps total without stupid HEX rance as in Nobsound NS-08P Pro) and quite quiet in operation (Nobsound NS-08P Pro was clicking a lot thanks to all the relays inside).
Is PRE 01 similar to this? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-weiliang-volume-control.8348/

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Alternative thought, since you want to focus on analogue.
Stay old-school and just get a good integrated amp that was designed for that world: Yamaha AS-501 will sound great and still be a good base if you add digital later. Other amp options exist.
Won't measure as well as the Hypex, but the difference will be inaudible.
Not as s#xy but it'll work for you without making you jump through hoops.

OP
S

Smislov

Alternative thought, since you want to focus on analogue.
Stay old-school and just get a good integrated amp that was designed for that world: Yamaha AS-501 will sound great and still be a good base if you add digital later. Other amp options exist.
Won't measure as well as the Hypex, but the difference will be inaudible.
Not as s#xy but it'll work for you without making you jump through hoops.
I solve everything with Wiim Mini :) Turntable in audio input in Wiim mini, optic out to dac :) Not Analog but I’m ok

Attachments

• 1A1AA0D5-29FE-4A38-B958-AF69F2905C2A.jpeg
    1A1AA0D5-29FE-4A38-B958-AF69F2905C2A.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 37

Tom C

Major Contributor
What MM cart are you using? I used a SYS to try to A/B two phono stages and found the top end was ridiculously rolled off. It must be adding at least a few hundred pF capacitance.
Stumbled across your post again today. Tried taking the SYS out, and connecting the turntable cables directly to the phono stage. My golly, you are absolutely right. The SYS really rolls off the treble. I have to think it’s the printed circuit board. Probably doesn’t matter for line level stuff, but for phono input level, it’s too much capacitance.
Thanks, friend.

SpaceMonkey

Top Bottom