• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help for Newbie with system

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, all. I'm just getting back into listening to music - moved to a new place with existing architectural speakers in 4 rooms and mechanical switchbox and nothing else. All I have of my old stereo system is an Adcom GFP-750 preamp, so starting essentially from scratch.

My objectives are these:
  1. Get background music available at reasonable (not hifi) quality in the 4 rooms
  2. Have a high-quality system for "critical" listening in my main family room, which is a large chamber about 20 ft square by 18 ft high; also with large openings into other rooms (we have a very open floorplan home)
  3. Source will be limited to what I have on hand (maybe 120 CDs) and high-resolution streaming such as Tidal Masters, Amazon HD or other similar online source
My current thinking is this:
  • For distributed speakers, replace existing crap speakers with Martin-Logan IC8 models (heard 'em, liked 'em)
  • Drive speakers with Monoprice 6 Zone Home Audio Multizone Controller and Amplifier
  • For critical listening, KEF R3 or LS50 Metas, augmented by subwoofer(s) - also hope to audition some other speakers when I travel to the Bay Area later this month
  • Drive KEFs (or whatevers) with a Purifi Eigentakt power amp; currently looking at NAD C298 and VTV (Dirac room correction on the NAD seems like a good idea)
  • Use same front-end (streamer, DAC and preamp) for both the critical-listening and housewide background
Does this seem like a realistic plan? Can I use my GFP-750 as the preamp and expect good performance? Do I need to buy a purpose-built streamer like Bluesound Node 2i, or would an Android tablet run into a good DAC like the Gustard X16 be just as good? I plan to run Cat-6 directly from my cable modem to the streamer if I go that route; would be pure wifi if I use the tablet.

Lots to piece out here! I will certainly be doing the patreon thingie for ASR, as I've learned an immense amount in a short time (but as is obvious, still ignorant).

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The KEF R3 performs a little bit better than the LS50 Meta.

Is your family an iOS gang or an Android gang?

OP
MaxBuck

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The KEF R3 performs a little bit better than the LS50 Meta.

Is your family an iOS gang or an Android gang?
My wife is pure iOS, and I'm Android and Windows. But I suppose I can go either way; problem is that she likely won't use the systems either way, and if we went iOS I'd need to buy something new just for the purpose, while I have some old Android tablets/phones I could repurpose. I'm fed up with her listening to music on a crap clock radio or her iPad speaker!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
MaxBuck

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No interest from the members here for whatever reason.

I'm now pretty well decided on a Bluesound Node as my streamer, input to my Adcom GFP-750 preamp and then to either the NAD C298 or VTV Eigentakt power amp (Benchmark AHB2 still a possibility) driving KEF R11s. I figure I can insert a Gustard DAC in future should the internal DAC of the Node be unsatisfactory. Monoprice multichannel amp off the Adcom preamp for audio to the remainder of the house; probably will continue to use existing speakers for the time being.

Comments are welcome, though apparently unlikely.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
Hi MaxBuck, you can't go wrong with the KEF R-series. The KEF R3 has been measured on ASR very favorably, so I would not assume the higher models in the R-series perform any different. Just double-check whether the R11s are perhaps too big for your listening space.

Your shortlist of power amps is also top drawer, although there is quite a price difference between the NAD C298 and the Benchmark AHB2. The latter has the best SINAD measurement from all amps measured on ASR.

I am sure you will enjoy your system for years to come.

OP
MaxBuck

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My listening space is almost 6,000 cu ft, so I think I need speakers the size of the R11s to provide sufficient "oomph." Perhaps others will provide their views? :) As for enjoying for years to come, I anticipate this system will last me the remainder of my years on the sunny side of the grass.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Congrats, that sounds like a hell of a system. Don't be afraid to post a photo or two.

Happy listening.

Top Bottom