• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help fine tuning subwoofers on new computer sound system

storm-chaser

This started when I blew the sub for my Z-5500 system. To replace it, I decided to go ahead with a home theater system custom option instead. It's been really fun learning the ropes of designing an audio system and sort of customizing everything. This is the first time I've done anything like this, so please forgive the gaps in knowledge. I need some help fine tuning the system as I do not have the auto-tuner microphone for this a/v unit. I am using HDMI---->Digital HDMI Audio Extractor---->SPIDF(on a/v receiver). The reason I am not using HDMI is because it is always slightly blurry on the monitor. To combat this problem, I went with the HDMI audio extractor and converted to optical, which achieves the same goal I suppose.

Basically, just some initial questions... I would like to see more balance to the subwoofers. They are both very powerful, but the one to the right of my desk has noticeably more "thud" than the left-hand sub. I assume this is due to the fact it is in the corner of the room, but also because there is a well-insulated wall on the right and a solid metal desk on the left, which amplifies the right-hand subs performance by at least 20% over the left.

I want to "mimic" the secondary resonator that is working out so well for the first sub and see if I can balance both of them out. I already built a secondary enclosure to boost the thud, and it's better, but still not perfect. I took an old ping pong table and used it to frame out the existing table (right over top of the subwoofer). So it's closer, but what more can I do? There is more left on the table. Should I insulate the secondary resonator and then put another layer over the sides? I just want to have balance between the two subs without having to modify gain or crossover on each one..

Enclosure for second sub (referred to above as secondary resonator)
IMG-20220814-140310036-HDR.jpg

Specs:
7 x 105w Yamaha A/V receiver RX-V863
4 x 63w Logitech THX satellite speakers (from z5500 kit) 200w RMS
1 x 150w
RMS Klipsch RM-62II center speaker (600w max power handling, 150w RMS)
2 x 400w (dynamic) Klipsch R12-SW 12" front firing subwoofers

New 12" subwoofer (2nd one)

Logitech THX satellite speakers really punch above their weight class

You can just make out the other subwoofer on the other side of the desk.

Top Bottom