• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help, Fiio X3 Mark III (as a DAC) vs Hidizs S9 Pro

phelsuma

Hi everyone,
Excuse my English, I am writing to you from Spain.

I'm going to introduce myself to the world of DACS and Headphones.
I don't consider myself an audiophile, but I try to be, I enjoy music, I've always had good audio equipment (Polk Audio SDA SRS among others...) but recently I've been introduced to the world of headphones.
I have started with a Fidelio X2HDR.
I am using them with an old Fiio X3 Mark III as a DAC on a Macbook with surprising results for me.
The fact is that the size of the Fiio bothers me, as well as depending on the battery for its use.
I have been researching small Dacs Dongle for days, to be able to carry in the laptop sleeve.
The Dragonfly Red was my pick until I saw Amir's review of the Hidizs S9 Pro and he convinced me, I have looked more at this new DAC and it looks spectacular at a very good price.

Let's get down to business
The Hidizs S9 Pro has the ESS9038Q2M chip and my old Fiio X3 MIII has a dual PCM 5242 chip (I don't know if Dual is a substantial advantage).

As for power, I shouldn't have a problem moving the Fidelio (100 dB / mW 30 Ohm)

If I bought the Hidizs, will I get a substantial upgrade? Or will I go back and sound worse?

I will appreciate all your comments, as well as recommendations.

All the best!

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would expect the ESS9038Q2M to be better then dual 5242.....not sure if it would be a real world noticeable improvement.
But if your looking for something smaller, then get the Hidizs S9 Pro.

OP
P

phelsuma

I would expect the ESS9038Q2M to be better then dual 5242.....not sure if it would be a real world noticeable improvement.
But if your looking for something smaller, then get the Hidizs S9 Pro.

many thanks! In the end I bought the Hidizs S9 Pro, I read all the opinions on the forum and they convinced me. So I have the headphones in the box ready to be released when the dongle arrives.

Top Bottom