• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help - EMI/RFI Problem.

STC

EMI/RFI Problem.

Hoping to find the easiest way to address the issue. I have isolated the problem to my main amp picking up the noise from other amps.

The setup is as follows:-
  1. Main speakers ( Electrostatic) and main Amp are connected to the wall outlet directly.
  2. I also use 15 additional amps ( small amps driven by AC to DC computer adapters.
  3. The additional amps and DAC are connected to power conditioners as I find it convenient to use them as multiple power outlet expansion.
  4. The main speakers are completely noise free with this configuration.

The EMI/RFI noise started when I decided to replace the 25 year old Powerwedge conditioner with another cheap China brand as their plugs can accept all types of pins orientation. I have a few of them and they work well without any issues.

1. when I turned on my small amps, there will be noise coming through one of the speaker. If I turn off the main amplifier the noise stops.
  2. The noise also stops if I turn off tother amps that is connected to the China power conditioner.
  3. If I use the Powerwedge ( LPS), there is no noise.
  4. If I use other equipments like lights instead of the amps from the power conditioner ( China) then there is no noise. So the noise is not coming from the power conditioner itself.
  5. The noise seems to be coming only when the small amps are turned on and with the China power conditioner.
  6. The distance of the small amps to my main amp is about 5 feet.

Can anyone tell me why the noise is creeping to the main amp with the China power conditioner but not with the Powerwedge conditioner?

I can try to solve it by re routing the cables and rearrange the amps but the cabling to the speakers and amps is too tedious. Currently, I am back with the Powerwedge and no issues but I would like to know the reason for future expansion.

Thanx in advance.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
EMI/RFI Problem.

Hoping to find the easiest way to address the issue. I have isolated the problem to my main amp picking up the noise from other amps.

The setup is as follows:-
  1. Main speakers ( Electrostatic) and main Amp are connected to the wall outlet directly.
  2. I also use 15 additional amps ( small amps driven by AC to DC computer adapters.
  3. The additional amps and DAC are connected to power conditioners as I find it convenient to use them as multiple power outlet expansion.
  4. The main speakers are completely noise free with this configuration.

The EMI/RFI noise started when I decided to replace the 25 year old Powerwedge conditioner with another cheap China brand as their plugs can accept all types of pins orientation.
Maybe the changed orientation?

Reactions: STC
Top Bottom