• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help E30 + Raspberry PI

Reckoner

Hello. How are things? I hope well

I don't know if this is the correct place in the forum to ask my question.

This was discussed in various topics but since I never used PI, I have some doubts.

I have Topping E30 and Topping L30. An external hard drive with 750GB of music. Subscription to Spotify. Amazon Prime, Netflix. TV with HDMI but WITHOUT audio outputs. A Blu-ray player.

Currently my configuration is:
PC connected to E30 via USB, Blu-ray via coaxial. I cannot connect my TV to the Topping because it has no audio output. E30 connected to L30, L30 to speakers.

I don't want to turn on the pc every time I listen to music or watch streaming content.

I am interested in a simple way to access my hard drive, Spotify, Netflix, listen through E30, without the need to turn on PC and connect it to TV with HDMI.

Buying a Smart TV with optical would be too expensive for me.

Investigating, I came across Raspberry Pi. In my country the 4 B model is on offer cheap. It has WiFi, Bluetooh, Usb.

I am new at this. Is it possible to connect my hard drive to the PI via usb, the PI to the TV via HDMI, the PI to the E30 via USB? It's a good option? I would like to access Spotify, Netflix, watch on TV and have E30 do its job.

I have an old Chromecast but my tv has no audio output so I can't listen to tv through E30.

To watch or listen I always turn on the PC and connect it via HDMI to the tv, it is annoying.

Thank you very

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It could probably be made to work, but may not be trivial. The video streaming bits may be the sticking point. If you want 'easy' one of the android based streamers is probably a better option since you'll get to use the official android apps for the service, rather than the web browser or a reverse engineered kodi plugin. I don't use the services in question so I can't say from experience how well the options below will work.

Have a look at OpenElec and LibreElec as minimal distributions running Kodi for a media player type interface rather than a more 'PC' style desktop. You'll have to track down the necessary addpns for your streaming services, and decide whether you trust the providers since they aren't in the 'official' addon repository. Expect occasional breakage when things change - like these issues with the new version of the widevine DRM library.

With the usual desktop style distros like RasberrypiOS (was Raspbian) using chromium will probably work with the web interfaces of the streaming providers, and librespot should do the job for spotify.

There are a number of tutorials about installing Android on a Pi to use streaming apps. It's a while since I've tried so I don't know if they're still applicable.

OP
Reckoner

Reckoner

Thank you very much for your recommendation, I will take it into account.
I think PI is a good idea to connect my hard drive. Streaming content online is another matter. Greetings

Taddpole

Hello. How are things? I hope well

I don't know if this is the correct place in the forum to ask my question.

This was discussed in various topics but since I never used PI, I have some doubts.

I have Topping E30 and Topping L30. An external hard drive with 750GB of music. Subscription to Spotify. Amazon Prime, Netflix. TV with HDMI but WITHOUT audio outputs. A Blu-ray player.

Currently my configuration is:
PC connected to E30 via USB, Blu-ray via coaxial. I cannot connect my TV to the Topping because it has no audio output. E30 connected to L30, L30 to speakers.

I don't want to turn on the pc every time I listen to music or watch streaming content.

I am interested in a simple way to access my hard drive, Spotify, Netflix, listen through E30, without the need to turn on PC and connect it to TV with HDMI.

Buying a Smart TV with optical would be too expensive for me.

Investigating, I came across Raspberry Pi. In my country the 4 B model is on offer cheap. It has WiFi, Bluetooh, Usb.

I am new at this. Is it possible to connect my hard drive to the PI via usb, the PI to the TV via HDMI, the PI to the E30 via USB? It's a good option? I would like to access Spotify, Netflix, watch on TV and have E30 do its job.

I have an old Chromecast but my tv has no audio output so I can't listen to tv through E30.

To watch or listen I always turn on the PC and connect it via HDMI to the tv, it is annoying.

Thank you very

Some sort of android box seems like it would fit the bill. Think spotify connect would be controllable from a phone that way. Think my one has optical output

Top Bottom