• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help diagnosing distortion problem in LP playback, please.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
(we can also do some measurements of very listened and strongly modulated records above 10k)
your statement unrelated to my question...purely technical...
;-)

Believe me, if vinyl loses hf with "some plays" many audiophiles wouldn't use it. We (as record lovers) are nostalgic in some way, yes, but we're not basic fools.

Many record lovers (as I) have decent digital systems. None of them want to discuss this kind of stuff ... me neither really, I don't know what I'm doing right now :)

So, believe what you want.

morillon

Major Contributor
in principle ... by falling in linear speed ... there is a reduction in bandwidth ...
(?)
I'm just asking if some people had fun measuring it...
?
just that..""you can believe me""..
;-)
(what do you mainly listen to on vinyl?)

Last edited:

Urubamba

I'm going to stick my spoon in here.
I'm also a veteran with lots of vinyl and having bought new, and always played on decent TT's with their respective decent tone arms, they sound like day one.
PVC has a property that helps prevent it from getting damaged so easily, it is flexible, the grooves can be deformed - in microns - when played (they even get hot, you have to avoid repeating a song, let them "cool") but they return to their place. Of course, if you play them with the tone arm my father-in-law used, 5 gram weights VTF or more and a worn sapphire needle, that's damaging. But even so, I inherited several of the LPs he used, and I will tell you that what most spoils a pleasant hearing is not the hypothetical loss of treble, but scratches. That's one of the reasons that always annoyed me, even the "pops" and "surface noise" on new vinyl!
The pops are lumps of PVC in the form of "mounds" and the surface noise...... well, you would think that around here (we are South Americans, like Africans, etc., we belong to what was called the third world, Do the older kids remember that phrase? ) So, in times of scarcity of foreign currency to import PVC, the record companies recycled used vinyl, (I'm talking about prestigious companies, Phillips for example) but, "gossip" told me that they witnessed how the labels were removed with grinding stones, of course, sometimes particles of the "ground" paper leaked into the paste.....Can you imagine what happens when the needle runs into one of those residues that is melted in the PVC? Well, you can have the most sophisticated system in the world to clean vinyl, (ultrasound?) but the noise will be there forever.
They are not "delights of married life" to live with that, especially feeling cheated. You asked for your LP to be changed and you could be lucky or not, many times the replacement was worse than the one you left with the merchant. Which of course did not go "in return" to the record company, but returned to the corresponding on the display box ...

Attachments

• MV5BZGZmMzU1MDAtOWRmMS00NDQ4LThhNWItNWYwNDczMDEyNDZjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODk1MjAxNzQ@._V1_.jpg
    MV5BZGZmMzU1MDAtOWRmMS00NDQ4LThhNWItNWYwNDczMDEyNDZjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODk1MjAxNzQ@._V1_.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
So, in times of scarcity of foreign currency to import PVC, the record companies recycled used vinyl, (I'm talking about prestigious companies, Phillips for example) but, "gossip" told me that they witnessed how the labels were removed with grinding stones, of course, sometimes particles of the "ground" paper leaked into the paste.

You'd think they'd just cut the label circle out of the vinyl and throw it out. Then recycle the remainder.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You'd think they'd just cut the label circle out of the vinyl and throw it out. Then recycle the remainder.
That would only make sense.
But I find very little sense at work anywhere in modern LP use. LOL

Top Bottom