• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[HELP] DAC help/recommendations for MMX 300 600Ω + Schiit Magni

burtoj

So, will try keep this as TLDR friendly as possible.

In 2019 I bought a Schiit stack combo of Magni and Modi + the MMX 300 600Ω and couldn't get the Modi to work, even with a replacement they sent for me to try, whether it was powered by USB or Socket. I replaced it with a Topping D50 (not S) which still had the problem but far less and it was actually usable so I gave up and just used it as was. I took the same set-up when I moved and it was the same on 2 work laptops and a new desktop, recently moved again and tried it on 2 more work laptops and it's arguably worse but stressful enough and I'm doing better off enough to want to find an actual solution.

The problem was that it literally wouldn't appear/USB wouldn't recognise it. With the Modi I tried triple digit times and got it to work once and it then did the fateful/haunting beeps to say disconnected USB device within seconds. The topping would be fine for weeks and then have issues, I'd have to unplug and replug (or literally turn the USB it's plugged into off and back on in device management when I didn't want to undo my cable management) until it worked again. After flying 1000km it's possible it took some knocks (did transport it in original packaging + bubble wrap + soft clothes... but can only do so much) the problem got much worse with it happening almost hourly. Originally I thought it must be something to do with my PCs USB as it was quite a cheap PC, but then for it to do the exact same when powered by USB OR socket on 4 laptops and 2 desktops (one being rather high end) I can only really say the problem must be the DAC.

When working I have loved the MMX and have had 0 problems with the Magni (AFAIK at least) and I was reading through a thread on here but it was more about the amp and thought perhaps due to the more unique issue I had there may be something I am missing I'd start a thread and ask for some help and recommendations. Budget wise I'm still a tight arse but realistically would rather spend to have a working solution and not against spending for a good long-term solution.

*Edit* I also forgot, I never got the Mic to work and have no idea why. Didn't matter much as I also had a Blue Yeti, but would be nice if that can be factored in (if that is possible or anything) but not essential.

Hopefully, someone can help and thanks for taking the time to read regardless :)

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had the MMX300 for years and great with the silver DT770 pads. I just got another Sound blaster X1 and it even powers the 600 ohm DT880 with it's 2.4volt output. It also makes a great DAC with 3.5mm to RCA cables. On Amazon they're on sale for $50 now and you'd just need a 2 into 1 splitter, and maybe a USB A to C since it just comes with a C to C super short cable.

OP
B

burtoj

I had the MMX300 for years and great with the silver DT770 pads. I just got another Sound blaster X1 and it even powers the 600 ohm DT880 with it's 2.4volt output. It also makes a great DAC with 3.5mm to RCA cables. On Amazon they're on sale for $50 now and you'd just need a 2 into 1 splitter, and maybe a USB A to C since it just comes with a C to C super short cable.
Had honestly never looked into the sound blasters as they seemed more "gamey" than I had aimed for, but having looked into them they're a shockingly good option. Also, that new X5 they do is a very appealing option :D but the X1 is an astoundingly good deal. Thanks for the suggestion/info! :)

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep I didn't believe it until I heard the X1, I just happened to have an 880 600ohm at the time. It got loud to the point any more and I'd be worried about hearing damage. Also the software has the good noise cancelling of background for use with a mic. Just have to get a y splitter and whatever A to C cable is needed for length and type of ports you have free (it needs the blue USB 3.0, not white 2.0).

Top Bottom