• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help, DAC E30 - AK4118 chip or CS8416?

Yog

Hi Everyone
I wanted to ask for help.

I have already bought one new DAC E30 with numbers starting with numbers (S / N: 2104).
Unfortunately, it has a CS8416 chip.

I have an opportunity to buy a used E30 DAC
with numbers starting with numbers (S / N: 2009).

Is the DAC E30 number that begins with a number (S / N: 2009),
will it be a DAC with AK4118 chip or already with CS8416?

EDIT:
I already got a reply from a very knowledgeable person on the PM.
So I will answer myself. :)

(S / N: 2009) is fortunately an AK4118 chip! :)

BTW
I didn't even notice how I became a collector and a big fan of TOPPING E30 DAC! :)

Last edited:

billdylan

I have just receiveda Topping E30 DAC with the new CS8416 chip ...It doesn't seem to like any of my sources...and on the one it jumps the least on only likes my couple of brand new CDs...anything else just jump terribly......I presumed it would be fine.........I presume many people will want to 'refresh' an old CD player....Well...It Won't... its not keen at all.....My old Audio Alchemy DDE V1 1.1 Dac works perfectly with all my cds on all of the sources......I just Thought people should know before they shell out on a Topping E30 with the CS8416 chip...Very Disappointed to say the least ..

Strato007

Any appreciable difference in sound between both chips? AK4118 vs CS8416? As far as saw, the specs are pretty same.

Any appreciable difference in sound between both chips? AK4118 vs CS8416? As far as saw, the specs are pretty same.

How could there be any difference ?

I have just receiveda Topping E30 DAC with the new CS8416 chip ...It doesn't seem to like any of my sources...and on the one it jumps the least on only likes my couple of brand new CDs...anything else just jump terribly......I presumed it would be fine.........I presume many people will want to 'refresh' an old CD player....Well...It Won't... its not keen at all.....My old Audio Alchemy DDE V1 1.1 Dac works perfectly with all my cds on all of the sources......I just Thought people should know before they shell out on a Topping E30 with the CS8416 chip...Very Disappointed to say the least ..

I'm in the same boat. Not totally disappointed ; my cheap Sony Blu-ray plays OK & also the Realtek Digital Output (Toslink) on my fanless NUC

JWAmerica

You should never have any issues with TOSLINK. It's a dumb connection. No electronic handshake to worry about. USB or HDMI is another matter. 'Smart' devices are very picky about what they're interfacing with and how the signal is sent/received.

Sorry to contradict you, but I have a recent production Topping E30 with a CS8416 & it doesn't play nice with all Toslink sources. Works fine with the Realtek Digital Output from my fanless NUC but has issues with the Toslink output of a vintage upmarket Pioneer DVD player.

Sound_freq

Is the DAC E30 number that begins with a number (S / N: 2009),
will it be a DAC with AK4118 chip or already with CS8416?

EDIT:
I already got a reply from a very knowledgeable person on the PM.
So I will answer myself. :)

(S / N: 2009) is fortunately an AK4118 chip!:)

I'm curious now as well, I'm looking at purchasing a used one that has S/N 2012 ? CS8416 or AK chip inside ?

doremisolfa

I'hi, I have been looking forward to the arrival of the E30.
finally! I unfortunately had a bitter surprise.
I tried various power supplies, including the original A50S,
the display was fixed at E - 1.
I powered E30 with the USB cable supplied, it was ok, but then,
connecting the Yamaha H7S speakers with xlr-rca cables,
I changed cables etc. Only the left channel communicates, the right channel nothing!Nothing!
So I connected the A50S with rca-rca cables not even in this way, absolutely nothing to the right channel.
Connected only to the A50S, everything works beautifully.
I have to make the return in China,times and costs ....
besides that I would like to know which chip my E30 s/n 210731...is equipped with,
because it seems that the latest products have several problems.
I ask JohnYang1997, because I know that he helps and solves many problems,
to be able to help me solve my problem
Thank s in advance

Last edited:

jmtabernero

I'm in the same boat. Not totally disappointed ; my cheap Sony Blu-ray plays OK & also the Realtek Digital Output (Toslink) on my fanless NUC
Yeah, same here, my E30 has the AK4493 and I'm experiencing the same issues, I tried with both s-pdif inputs from different sources, and the results are:
- from CD player 1 (Denon DCD-500AE) using the toslink output, depending on the CD used (all of them original) it will play as if the error correction was not within the signal.
- from CD player 2 (Yamaha CD-S300) using both toslink or coaxial outputs, same results as above.
- from laptop Realtek s-pdif optical output runs smoothly.
- from a USB to s-pdif re-clocking device using either toslink or coaxial it will run smoothly as well.

zombiebrains2

Yeah, same here, my E30 has the AK4493 and I'm experiencing the same issues, I tried with both s-pdif inputs from different sources, and the results are:
- from CD player 1 (Denon DCD-500AE) using the toslink output, depending on the CD used (all of them original) it will play as if the error correction was not within the signal.
- from CD player 2 (Yamaha CD-S300) using both toslink or coaxial outputs, same results as above.
- from laptop Realtek s-pdif optical output runs smoothly.
- from a USB to s-pdif re-clocking device using either toslink or coaxial it will run smoothly as well.
Hello, what 'USB to s-pdif re-clocking device' you are using? Is there a cheap way to output say coaxial from a CD Player with skip issue to a re clock adapter(?) and output spdif or usb into E30 with that awful new receiver it is using?

jmtabernero

Hello, what 'USB to s-pdif re-clocking device' you are using? Is there a cheap way to output say coaxial from a CD Player with skip issue to a re clock adapter(?) and output spdif or usb into E30 with that awful new receiver it is using?
Hi @zombiebrains2 I'm using a very cheap DDC that includes a XMOS XU208 chip and two oscilators one running at 22.579200MHz and another at 24.57600MHz.
Sadly this device will only stabilize the signal coming from an USB output. I've been searching for a similar device that would re-generate a stable s-pdif signal from coaxial/toslink, but didn't have any luck yet.

zombiebrains2

Hi @zombiebrains2 I'm using a very cheap DDC that includes a XMOS XU208 chip and two oscilators one running at 22.579200MHz and another at 24.57600MHz.
Sadly this device will only stabilize the signal coming from an USB output. I've been searching for a similar device that would re-generate a stable s-pdif signal from coaxial/toslink, but didn't have any luck yet.
Hello, might as well save your money and get an SMSL Sanskrit 10th SK10 MKII if you want to use old CD players. I will say that the e30 works great over USB. I use the ASIO method with the free foobar 2000 audio software. I use an amazon basics USB cable connected to a USB 3 port on a PC into the e30, also use the E30 power lead plugged unto a USB plug adapter, filter 4. No issue's here, sounds great.

jmtabernero

Hello, might as well save your money and get an SMSL Sanskrit 10th SK10 MKII if you want to use old CD players. I will say that the e30 works great over USB. I use the ASIO method with the free foobar 2000 audio software. I use an amazon basics USB cable connected to a USB 3 port on a PC into the e30, also use the E30 power lead plugged unto a USB plug adapter, filter 4. No issue's here, sounds great.

You sound about right, that device seems stick to my requirements. I might give it a try, thanks for your advice @zombiebrains2 .

I have a chance to buy a second-hand E30 with a serial number starting 2102.​

AK4118 chip or CS8416?​

Top Bottom