• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help choosing the right set of speakers for the home theatre

neeagl

Hello all,

We are evaluating a couple of options (and are open to any other recommendations). We are based in India so long-term support is important. Room size is: 21'x17'

Speakers (3 LCR, 4 surround, 4 atmos): (major point of confusion)
  1. James: QX830, QX620
  2. Quadral: 841, W60B
  3. Episode?
  4. Genelec?
  5. B&W (though exceeding our budget)
  6. Focal
Subwoofer: SVS PB2000 Pro - 1No
Projector: Sony XW5000ES
Receiver: Marantz 8015
Amp: Emotiva XPA-3
We are open for on-wall or tower speakers as well

Kindly help us in choosing the right configuration and come back with suggestions.

OP
N

neeagl

The room size is 21' x 18'.
We're a small family of 3 but plan to make it to accommodate 6-8 ppl

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That room size is manageable. I think you will need at least 2 subwoofers if you want to have even bass throughout the seating area.

Simple answer: buy the best LCR speakers your budget will allow (Genelec or Focal on your list), economize on the surrounds and Atmos speakers. They do not need to be from the same brand or series.

In-wall LCRs are typically less successful than their in-room counterparts.

OP
N

neeagl

Thanks for your suggestion. I’m thinking of a mix of Genelec LCR with Episode surrounds.
Any thoughts on James?

tomruer

That room size is manageable. I think you will need at least 2 subwoofers if you want to have even bass throughout the seating area.

Simple answer: buy the best LCR speakers your budget will allow (Genelec or Focal on your list), economize on the surrounds and Atmos speakers. They do not need to be from the same brand or series.

In-wall LCRs are typically less successful than their in-room counterparts.
what genelec or focal speakers specifically would you suggest?

tomruer

Both of these brands are fairly consistent across their lines. Pick the speakers that fit your budget and aesthetic needs.
I have a 4.4x9x2.4m room with listening position 5m from wall
Going to put them behind a screen. Just want best value to be honest.
I really wish there was a guide segregated by price for LCR speakers!

Last edited:

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For screen channels that will be installed behind a woven or perforated screen, I recommend a line array or horn type speaker. Typical dome speakers do not work as well through a screen. Also, make sure you follow the screen maker's recommendations for placing the speaker the correct distance away from rear of the screen. If possible use a woven screen. They are more acoustically transparent than perforated.

A moderately priced speaker that we have very successfully used behind screens is the JBL CBT 70J-1. Three of these will perform quite well if you have the depth.

tomruer

For screen channels that will be installed behind a woven or perforated screen, I recommend a line array or horn type speaker. Typical dome speakers do not work as well through a screen. Also, make sure you follow the screen maker's recommendations for placing the speaker the correct distance away from rear of the screen. If possible use a woven screen. They are more acoustically transparent than perforated.

A moderately priced speaker that we have very successfully used behind screens is the JBL CBT 70J-1. Three of these will perform quite well if you have the depth.

thanks, what would you pair these with for surrounds/sub/atmos?

will check if available locally

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks, what would you pair these with for surrounds/sub/atmos?

will check if available locally
Entirely depends on your budget and SPL requirements. Use two to four subwoofers if at all possible. If you model the room in REW it will help you with sub location and quantity.

tomruer

Entirely depends on your budget and SPL requirements. Use two to four subwoofers if at all possible. If you model the room in REW it will help you with sub location and quantity.

I just got a umik1 so will try and figure out how to do this thanks

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got a umik1 so will try and figure out how to do this thanks
You won't need a mic to model the room, you can get started trying that out once you download the free app.

The mic will com in handy once you start setting things up.

OP
N

neeagl

Looking at Focal Chora 826 for the LCR. Any thoughts on this?
Also, at B&W 603 S2. Kindly share your thoughts

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Looking at Focal Chora 826 for the LCR. Any thoughts on this?
Also, at B&W 603 S2. Kindly share your thoughts

Focal Aria is a worthwhile step up from the Chora line. Focal Arias can often be found at sizeable discount prices.
B&W speakers are really pretty terrible since they adopted their house curve in the mid 2000s. You will gain nothing from the extra cost of B&Ws; you will actually lose performance for your money.

OP
N

neeagl

Focal Aria is a worthwhile step up from the Chora line. Focal Arias can often be found at sizeable discount prices.
B&W speakers are really pretty terrible since they adopted their house curve in the mid 2000s. You will gain nothing from the extra cost of B&Ws; you will actually lose performance for your money.
Thanks Steve for your inputs. I'm considering using 3 of the floorstanding speakers to be used as the LCRs behind the AT screen. Do you think if that would provide a great experience?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Thanks Steve for your inputs. I'm considering using 3 of the floorstanding speakers to be used as the LCRs behind the AT screen. Do you think if that would provide a great experience?
It would be helpful to know where you live. Different speakers have different availability and sometimes dramatically different pricing in different countries.

If the Revel Concerta2 series is available where you live, the F36 would be an excellent choice in addition to the Focal Aria.

OP
N

neeagl

It would be helpful to know where you live. Different speakers have different availability and sometimes dramatically different pricing in different countries.

If the Revel Concerta2 series is available where you live, the F36 would be an excellent choice in addition to the Focal Aria.
I’m based out of India, near Delhi.

rcstevensonaz

Any thoughts on the type of speaker for the side and rear surrounds — in particular, omni-directional speakers (e.g., Focal Aria SR900) vs. directional speakers?

I can't offer any input on the speakers being discussed here. But I am quite happy with our Focal Aria 906s + CC900. Watching this thread for insight on what to do for surrounds and heights.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Any thoughts on the type of speaker for the side and rear surrounds — in particular, omni-directional speakers (e.g., Focal Aria SR900) vs. directional speakers?

I can't offer any input on the speakers being discussed here. But I am quite happy with our Focal Aria 906s + CC900. Watching this thread for insight on what to do for surrounds and heights.
KEF LS50 meta

Top Bottom