• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help Choosing Surround Speakers

zelig

Forum Donor
I have a pair of 6 ohm front floor-standing speakers [6 ohm, 91 db] (with matching center and a sub) and am looking to add a pair of stand-mounted surrounds to make a 5.1 system using a Denon AVR-X3700H. My budget is about $200 max and I am open to buying used or new. My options for placement are very limited and the speakers will need to go either side of a couch and a little behind. I'm looking for any advice on choosing speakers for this scenario. Thanks!

Last edited:

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Watch for them to go on sale again on the Harmon site, but the Infinity R152 (smaller) at about $139, and the R162 at about $159, should be good candidates.

Amir has reviewed the R162 here..

Putter

Forum Donor
There's a choice that needs to be made based on how the surrounds will be used.
If they're only going to be used for movies where it's primarily background and ambient sounds, then almost any halfway decent speaker will suffice.
If on the other hand, multichannel music is a major part of your listening, then I would probably get the same brand speakers from the same line, in this case, the Monitor Audio RS1 or ideally the RS6 that you are using for the fronts or their successors since they're discontinued.

One qualifier; the Audyssey in the Denon will attempt to make the surrounds sound more similar to the fronts regardless of what the brand of the surrounds so that it might not make a huge difference in brands as long as they're similar design.

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
I have a pair of 6 ohm front floor-standing speakers [6 ohm, 91 db] (with matching center and a sub) and am looking to add a pair of stand-mounted surrounds to make a 5.1 system using a Denon AVR-X3700H. My budget is about $200 max and I am open to buying used or new. My options for placement are very limited and the speakers will need to go either side of a couch and a little behind. I'm looking for any advice on choosing speakers for this scenario. Thanks!
I would strongly recommend to search for used pair of speakers from the same brand, and same range, meaning with the same midwoofers and tweeters. It is always the easiest way to integrate more channels if they have similar construction, ergo sonic signature.

OP
Z

zelig

Forum Donor
The matching surrounds from the same range are strange beasts. They look best suited to be placed against a flat surface rather than mounted on a stand. It may work for one side of the couch but it would look awkward on the other. The bookshelf speakers would probably be a better choice but they are all hard to come by - though not impossible.

I'm not sure of the benefits of multi-channel music so I'm not sure if I would use it, but most of my listening is music rather than movies.

Top Bottom