• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help choosing speakers for NAD C338

Speakers for NAD C338 (Hypex Universal Class D, 50 wpc) recommendation

• Klipsch RP-600M

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Elac Debut Reference DBR-62

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • KEF LS50 Meta

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

bokolobs

Hi! I'm looking to pair my NAD C338 with the Elac Debut Reference DBR-62, Klipsch RP-600M, or KEF LS50 Meta. I've been watching videos, reading reviews, and I'm nowhere near deciding on this. Primarily because there are not many NAD C338/328 reviews out there. I've read the stereophile and dark.audio reviews, and they used the original Debut 6s and 6.2s, respectively, and both reviewers liked what they heard. I can't get the 6.2s, unfortunately, only the References. But it would seem they, too, would pair well with my C338.

The Klipsch is in the mix because they're popular and readily available where I live. Maybe the C338 will balance the brightness of the Klipsch? The Klipschs will also be easier to drive since the C338 is only 50wpc. And the Klipsch seems to have the more enjoyable sound, based on a lot of reviews. Although they don't measure well and even got a Stay Away from amir.

Finally, the Meta is in the mix because of those damn darko videos. But his electronics are much better than my C338. I fear I won't get the best out of it, although KEF's Meta page says that the recommended amp is 40-100 wpc. There's also my fear, from reviews and a comment in another channel, that I would NEED a subwoofer for the KEFs as the bass response is low. And realistically, I could sooner get a sub for the Kilpschs or Elacs than with KEFs.

What do you guys think? Thanks!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What size is your room and what is the listening distance?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm all for the Elac DBR-62 and KEF but the Klipsch sure are more efficient if the specs are truthful. If it's a big room that might be handy because you only have 50 W/ch. That's why I asked about the room size.

Klipsch RP-600M 96dB @ 2.83V/1m
Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 86db @ 2.83v/1m
KEF LS50 Meta 85dB @ 2.83V/1m

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ence-dbr-62-speaker-review.12232/#post-357719
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/klipsch-rp-600m-speaker-review.12138/

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you have the possibility to use EQ I wouldn't dismiss the RP-600M altogether. If you look at the directivity indexes you can see it's actually smoother than the Elac. It boils down to whether you prefer narrow or wide directivity.

No doubt technically the Meta is the best speaker of the three. But also the most expensive and least amount of bass.

OP
B

bokolobs

I'm all for the Elac DBR-62 and KEF but the Klipsch sure are more efficient if the specs are truthful. If it's a big room that might be handy because you only have 50 W/ch. That's why I asked about the room size.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ence-dbr-62-speaker-review.12232/#post-357719
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/klipsch-rp-600m-speaker-review.12138/

Hi Thanks for these! I've read the reviews and it seems DBR-62 is the winner here. But that's with amir's gear which has 1000 W on tap.

Yeah, that's also one of my concerns. But the room is only 6 m x 6 m.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Thanks for these! I've read the reviews and it seems DBR-62 is the winner here. But that's with amir's gear which has 1000 W on tap.

Yeah, that's also one of my concerns. But the room is only 6 m x 6 m.
Any one of those speakers will work although a 6m x 6m room is fairly large for small speakers and 50W/ch. How loud are you thinking you will play at? You might run out of power if you crank it up depending on where you are sitting or if you expect to hear it from another room.

OP
B

bokolobs

Avoid RP-600M.
Yes for DBR62.
We'll know for sure when Amir measures LS50 Meta *hopefully sooner than later*.
If you have the possibility to use EQ I wouldn't dismiss the RP-600M altogether. If you look at the directivity indexes you can see it's actually smoother than the Elac. It boils down to whether you prefer narrow or wide directivity.

No doubt technically the Meta is the best speaker of the three. But also the most expensive and least amount of bass.
I'm not sure I understand the difference between narrow and wide directivity. But I'm looking for good imaging at wider listening position.

Yeah, I've read about the lack of bass. I have a budget for the Klipsch or the Elac and a sub. If I get the KEFs, the sub will have to come in later.

Thanks!

OP
B

bokolobs

Any one of those speakers will work although a 6m x 6m room is fairly large for small speakers and 50W/ch. How loud are you thinking you will play at? You might run out of power if you crank it up depending on where you are sitting or if you expect to hear it from another room.
I'll try to measure the dB later but on the NAD the volume level is usually between -18 to -28 dB for comfortable listening on my old Sony bookshelves speakers rated at 6 ohms.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm not sure I understand the difference between narrow and wide directivity. But I'm looking for good imaging at wider listening position.

Yeah, I've read about the lack of bass. I have a budget for the Klipsch or the Elac and a sub. If I get the KEFs, the sub will have to come in later.

Thanks!
In that case I would prob go for the Elacs. They will offer a more spacious sound over a wider area. The Klipsch will have a more laser-like focus, falling off more rapidly when moving off axis.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In that case I would prob go for the Elacs.
...and if you can use a high pass filter on the Elacs with the subwoofer you should get more volume out of the Elacs.

OP
B

bokolobs

In that case I would prob go for the Elacs. They will offer a more spacious sound over a wider area. The Klipsch will have a more laser-like focus, falling off more rapidly when moving off axis.
Thanks! This is good information.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

The specs are not true on the Klipsch, there is a topic somewhere on this forum comparing what the manufacturer states to what Amir measures.

OP
B

bokolobs

The specs are not true on the Klipsch, there is a topic somewhere on this forum comparing what the manufacturer states to what Amir measures.
Thanks. I also saw a YouTube review that it only goes to 87 dB without distortion.

OP
B

bokolobs

Hi again! Back to this point, does it mean that the Klipsch has better pinpoint imaging/separation of instruments but just needs to be positioned exactly based of listening position?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Hi again! Back to this point, does it mean that the Klipsch has better pinpoint imaging/separation of instruments but just needs to be positioned exactly based of listening position?
Remember that with the Klipsch you must use some sort of equaliser or room correction to make it somewhat accurate. The ELAC will be pretty good without that. Can't comment on the KEF, but considering their design philosophy and the performance of their R and Reference line those will also sound pretty good without any help. I wouldn't take the KEFs unless I had a subwoofer as support and even then your room is too big.

OP
B

bokolobs

Remember that with the Klipsch you must use some sort of equaliser or room correction to make it somewhat accurate. The ELAC will be pretty good without that. Can't comment on the KEF, but considering their design philosophy and the performance of their R and Reference line those will also sound pretty good without any help. I wouldn't take the KEFs unless I had a subwoofer as support and even then your room is too big.
I see. Yeah, would have to toss the KEFs out of the choices. I don't think I can get my wife to agree to purchase a sub soon after buying the KEFs. And I feel like I need better electronics to make those purchases, KEFs and a sub, to be worth it. I'm just really looking something to pair with my NAD C338 that images well.

From the comments here, it might be better to move this system to the bedroom. It's roughly 4.5 m x 4.5 m. After setup, listening distance could be about 2.5-3 m.

Thanks again.

OP
B

bokolobs

Just ordered the Elacs. I will update you guys when I get it and have tested it.

Thanks for all your help!

PLSTR

Just ordered the Elacs. I will update you guys when I get it and have tested it.

Thanks for all your help!
Any updates on it? Really looking into the C338 as my first amp/all-in-one.
Do you think C338 is better than something like an amp+dac+streamer in the same price range?

Did you find the ELACs to be a good match? They're in my top3 alongside with wharfedales 12.1/12.2 and the Monitor Audio Bronze 100. To go on my 16sqm (3m x 5,5m), for a "relaxed listening".
Having A LOT of doubts because stores are closed due to COVID, so can't listen them before buying :(

Top Bottom